PDA

View Full Version : New asset error

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Hi guys,
Ive been having a go at importing an asset from 3dmax 2012 into Trainz. Ive now got it into CCP but am getting the following error:

Error: Unable to load indexed mesh 'kuid 596321 100268\dockgoods.im'

I have the correct exporter for the version of 3dmax Im using and all else checks out except this error. I can open the mesh in PEVs mesh viewer without problem. What has gone wrong?

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 03:03 AM
It appears that Trainz is unable to load the mesh for some reason. Usually, this is due to possible corruption of the mesh file. Failing that, there is the possibility of folder name differences, as content that is open for edit is in a folder with the asset's name, not the KUID. It's best to simply have the .im file reference in the same folder as the config.txt, which would mean you would only need to state it as 'dockgoods.im'.

Shane

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks Shane. Ive tried what you have said but no joy. The config looks like this:

kuid <kuid:596321:100272>
username "Goods shed"
kind "industry"
category-region "UK"
category-era "1800s;1920s;1930s;1940s;1950s;1960s;1970s;1980s;19 90s;2000s;2010s"
nightmode "lamp"
rotate 1
height-range -50,50
author "AntonyVW"
trainz-build 2.9
category-class "BR"

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "dockgoods.im"
auto-create 1
}
}

thumbnails
{
{
image "$screenshot$.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
}

I dont think Ive missed out anything obvious. Short of remaking the mesh again I dont know what else I can try. As I said at the beginning the mesh opens ok with PEVs mesh viewer and mesh text viewer. So Im stumped.

clam1952
June 24th, 2012, 07:59 AM
From error message:

Error: Unable to load indexed mesh 'kuid 596321 100268\dockgoods.im'

From your config:

kuid <kuid:596321:100272>

kuid is different.

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 08:01 AM
As part of that, did you make sure the .im file is in the same folder as the config.txt file? You may need to check this in Explorer.

Shane

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Sorry should have mentioned. Ive moved the kuid into the same folder as the config.txt file as suggested by Shane. Ive also tried creating a second asset having deleted the first incase there was any corruption there. Hence the change of kuid numbers.

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Ive also just tried creating the asset in TS2009 and got same error. The only thing I can think of is that there is a problem with the exporter - however that is not supported in thefact that PEVs mesh viewer see it ok.

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Can you provide a screenshot of the asset folder?

Shane

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Image can be found here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16082570@N04/7432107658/

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 08:48 AM
It looks OK to me. Can I now check your config.txt file (if it is any different from above)?

Shane

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 08:50 AM
No The above file is as it currently is.

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM
If necessary Shane I can send you both or either of the 3dmax file and the *.im file. Its nothing special and far from finished. I just wanted to make sure it would work before I got to far into its construction.

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM
The next thing I will get you to try is changing the mesh entry to ./dockgoods.im

If this does not correct it, it may indeed be an issue with the mesh file.

Shane

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 09:16 AM
ok will try that now. But out of curiosity I exported the original 3dmax file to sketchup (yes I know its lame). t accepted the mesh without issue. Then using the rubytmix pluggin I exported that to Trainz. That has worked ok and I can see the asset in trainz. Anyway I will go try as you have suggested.

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Ok that did not work. However I did notice something curious. You told me to add ./ which I did and confirmed it was like that when I checked the config.txt file. However when I looked at the error report it had reversed the slash to read .\ instead. Not sure why.

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Im using the 64bit version of the exported. Im just going to try the 32bit version see what happens. 3dmax should reject it if the pluggin is wrong.

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 09:31 AM
That can make a difference, as Trainz is 32-bit.

Shane

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 09:37 AM
As I suspected, I am using the correct exporter. Knowing that Trainz is a 32bit doesnt really solve the problem - particularly as the jetexporter.dll clearly says its is for the 64bit version of 3dmax 2012. My suspicion is that it is the exporter itself that is faulty.

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 09:39 AM
So where does that leave me? I could export to blender - but that kind of defeats the object of me creating it in 3dmax. Id aslo need to gen up on how to export from blender to trainz. Oh well.

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 09:45 AM
See if exporting from the 32-bit version helps. Failing that, that may be your option (as it sounds like a possible bug in the exporter, or a possible issue with Content Manager - have you made sure you have installed the relevant patches?)

Shane

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Ok build number for Trainz 2012 is 49922. Ive just exported the mesh from 3dmax to blender 2.62. Downloaded the appropriate exporter etc and then exported from blender to trainz. Im not sure whether I was surprised or not but I got the following:

Error: Unable to load indexed mesh 'kuid 596321 100273\warehouse.im'

So Im back where I started. My logical side is saying that if both blender and 3dmax are giving the same error then it is down to one of a couple of things:
1) either the exporters are not working or
2) its because Im using 64bit versions of both blender and 3dmax and the exporters dont work despite the claims.

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 10:26 AM
one thing I can try I guess is to start an item in blender rather than importing it and see how that exports to trainz

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I've noticed that the folder reference does not match what I would expect it to. Normally this is a case of an incorrect config.txt entry - if you want me to have a look at the asset, send me a PM and I will respond with my email address.

Shane

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM
pm sent. Let me know what files you require please.

Antoy

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I will need a copy of the whole asset in CDP format.Shane

clam1952
June 24th, 2012, 10:55 AM
That's the error you get on committing? If you right click on it in CM and click view errors are warnings what does it say then? often it's a bit more informative.

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Shane. Ive not packed anything up in CDP before so I am presuming you just want the contents of the folder?

Clam1952. The error I have reported is the error given when viewing the errors and warnings in CM.

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Yes, folder is fine. I can import the folder into Content Manager.

Shane

EDIT: Received email OK - will reply when I've identified the issue.

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hi again,

I can confirm that the issue is not related to the config.txt as I've checked it with Asset-X.

It does indeed appear to be a problem with either the exporter or the TrainzMeshImporter tool.

Shane

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks Shane. As I know that the exported *.im file can be read in PEVs mesh viewer and mesh text viewer and I can export the file natively into both blender and sketchup without problem, I think I shall start by looking at the importer as it failed with both the 3dmax mesh and the blender mesh. At least I can narrow down the problems a little.

shaneturner12
June 24th, 2012, 12:05 PM
That would be a good idea. It may also be worth trying it at trainz-build 2.8.

Shane

clam1952
June 24th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Try this first, knock up a simple cube texture it and export it from 3ds could try blender as well and see if you get the same problem, remembering that the material must be named correctly.
As stated by Pev the fact that his viewer can display the file doesn't means that Trainz can, different process used in rendering I think he said. The im file has to be in the correct format for Trainz to read which it seemingly isn't.

Have you had problems exporting anything else?

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 01:53 PM
This is the first time Ive exported from 3dmax 2012. Ive done it before with gmax and sketchup but wanted to take advantage of the updated jetexporter for 3dmax. Ive tried the same process with a cube as you suggesed but I still get the same problem in 3dmax. Im not as familiar with blender so although I can knock up a cube or 2 I have no idea how to add the textures so cant try that at moment. I know sketchup is fairly lame but I hae to admit that the rubytmix pluggin for it works nice and easily compared to this.

AntonyVW
June 24th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Ok well that was odd. I decided to reboot my pc about half hour ago - you know just in case. well when it came back on Trainz through a wobbly and refused to start. When I started it a second time it went into a diagnostic mode before restarting. Never seen it do that before. Didnt solve the problem however.

clam1952
June 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I have a feeling that whatever the problem is it's something simple that's got overlooked, still got gmax? may be an idea to try exporting a cube from that, if that doesn't get recognised either then it points to a problem with Content Manager.
Actually, just had a thought possibly a bit of disk corruption? that may explain why Trainz is suddenly playing up, try running a disk check just in case.

AntonyVW
June 25th, 2012, 01:19 AM
funnily enough I gave up last night to get some rest. In the wee small hours of the night I decided that I would restore my system today. So first job I have to do today is back up all the files I need to keep and then format and reinstall from scratch. So I shall report back after I have restored my system.

AntonyVW
June 26th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Ok an update.
Having reinstalled my system. I am no further forward. Everything from Win7 up is a clean install. This time however I have installed both the 32bit and 64bit versions of 3dmax 2012. Both appear to have exported correctly but both give the same error when I attempt to create a new asset in Trainz 2012 (problem is also present in 2009).
Others I have spoken to have said that they have had no problem at either end - either 3dmax or trainz. So Im at a loss.

clam1952
June 26th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Third time I've tried to reply to this keep getting failed to respond errors.

I think this is pointing more to an error with the actual creation of the mesh, may be the material naming which is now specific see here. http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php5/Material_Types

Could be an idea for someone with 3dsMax 12 to have a look at a mesh you have created and see where or if something is going wrong.

AntonyVW
June 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Hi Clam1952. I have sent the original mesh to someone who has 3dmax 2012 so hopefully they will find out if there is a problem there. As for the material I have made sure that it has the 'm.' prefix. The document you mention specifies quite clearly what is acceptable and Ive double checked that but no change Im afraid. I guess I have to wait until the person I have set the mesh to can check it for me.

AntonyVW
June 26th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Ok some progress. The clue - which I missed was in my own last post. When Ive put up the material I have put something like 'm.red'. When in fact is should have read 'red.m.notex'. So I now have the mesh appearing - except it is all white not the colour I have given it. My assumption was that the exporter would also create the texture files to go with it - so a little work to go yet but at least I have progress.

AntonyVW
June 28th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Ok second try at writing this s I just deleted the last one instead of posting it :(
UPDATE:
Im now up and running. There was 2 problems I had. First off is the issue of naming the materials correctly in 3dmax. The exporter requires it to be in a particular format - for in fo on this see post #38 above by clam1952. Thanks for that Clam. The second problem was more specifically to do with a problem with my pc.
I have dual monitors on my pc - one of which is a touch-screen. It stopped functioning correctly and I originally put this down to my young grandson fiddling with things (sorry Charlie). However, I decided as I could not resolve the issue I would reformat and start from scratch. I mention in a post elsewhere that my son decided to lend a hand with this and I ended up redoing it anyway as the screen was still not working properly. However i discovered that the problem lay with an update from microsoft. I have narrowed it down to one of 5 updates. So having re-formated yet again and turning off automatic updates, I am working on isolating that problem.
In the mean time I had the original mesh examined by someone who said that they were still having issues with the mesh. So I created a simple box and exported that. It worked. Ive now built a new mesh along the lines of the old one and that also now works. So I can only presume that it is some how linked to the fault on my pc.
So now I am able to confirm that 3dmax 2012 64bit can indeed make suitable mesh exports for Trainz. Now all I have to do is change the basic material colours Ive tested it with to more suitable texture maps which are to the power of 2. (Another learning curve). Anyone have any suggestions on texture mapping (and the power of 2) that are simple to understand?

Antony

clam1952
June 28th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Power of 2, good explanation here: http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/textures/make-better-textures-correct-size-and-power-of-two.php

Discussion on texturing ongoing here http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?90251-adding-2-textures-on-1-object-in-gmax is Gmax but 3ds is same principle.