PDA

View Full Version : Now this would look great in Trainz?

rjhowie
May 27th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Came across this item by chance and refers to the new trains for the Adelaide Suburban railway. Looks good?!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/new-electric-train-chosen-for-adelaide/story-e6frea83-1225953691506

H222
May 27th, 2012, 11:05 PM
http://cdn6.wn.com/pd/22/08/2f0d39c2362f459af9575165bc4e_grande.jpg

They copied Victoria's diesel one, been in service for 5-6 years

Jamie

Enkidoh
May 28th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Actually, looking at that artwork, they seem to be heavily based on the Transperth BEA/BET/BEB class 'B set' EMUs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transperth_B-series_train) and their QR counterparts - the QR 160/260 class IMU/SMUs, only the Adelaide ones are designed for broad gauge instead of narrow gauge, and hence, will have wider bodies to compensate (the builder of the Adelaide units will be same as the Perth/Brisbane ones in any event - Bombardier).

I did hear someone was meant to be working on a 260/160 class for Trainz ages ago, but I didn't hear anything more (I have a long term goal to hopefully make a B set myself though, once I finally master Blender's weird interface. :().

scratchy
May 28th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Yeah I agree with Enkidoh they do look alot like the ones we have over here. Except of course the Midland line is always given the older A sets yay for me

Enkidoh
May 28th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Yeah, same here with the Armadale line for me - the B sets are somewhat captive on the Joondalup and Mandurah lines. Transperth's excuse is 'the close station spacings on the older lines will damage the motors if the trains have to stop and start frequently.' In actuality, it's more likely an image thing - it makes sense they'd want to run the latest trains on the newest lines (especially a line built to allow higher speeds than what the existing network is capable of handling).

As well, it's more economical to run them on the lines with the highest patronage (Joondalup and Mandurah), especially as all stations on those lines can handle six-car trains, which most stations on the Armadale, Midland and Fremantle lines can't (other than a few exceptions, like Midland and Kelmscott).

Anyway, I've gone off on a branchline here - Adelaide's new trains definetely owe a lot to the Transperth B sets. In fact, another connection to the Perth system with Adelaide's electrification is the new catenary masts being gradually installed in Adelaide appear to be virtually identical to the concrete pylons used here in Perth as well (the original Perth ones were manufactured locally by Delta Concrete, so I have no idea if they're the supplier of Adelaide's masts as well). In any event, they look virtually the same.

JCitron
May 28th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I agree they'd make a nice addition to Trainz should they ever be made or completed. Bombardier probably used the same trainset, or possibly the different transit agencies used the same trainsets, because it was less expensive than using something new or custom for each region. Over here in the US, both Amtrak and the commuter agencies used the venerable F40PHs for many years as locomotives. They had all the features needed like fast starts and stops with quick acceleration.

John