PDA

View Full Version : Content Manager again!

oldalistair
May 20th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Started this week to try and add some content to my Trainz 2012 and I am ready to give up. Managed to download Swindon to Cirencester but it failed to appear in my list of routes. (Yes I did go through proper procedures to commit content) Deleted it and tried to download again. This time CM tells me (with a bright red message) the asset does not exist in the Download database. Tried a few more routes clearly listed in the database and was told again that they cannot be found. Managed to download Ardennes Tracks but again it failed to appear in my route list. I note that the option to run Trainz from the FILE menu of CM does not work either. Each time I try it a message flashes up about commiting a couple of assets and then nothing. I can't really waste any more time with this- so back to good old Trainz 2009. I keep hoping to see a new edition of Trainz which gets rid of CM and offers a straightforward system of loading asset packages.

JCitron
May 20th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Sadly N3V has embedded CM into the works, much to the dismay of so many of us. In some ways the program works the way it should, yet in others it gets in a snit and goes bollucks up!

I think though your problem is related to a corrupted database which happens 99.9999999% of the time when shutting down the simulator. To ensure that your database is closed properly, I suggest running with the Enable Database processes windows. THis is a checed option Developer Tab in Options in the launcher. This will show small command prompts while the program is running. At full screen you won't see them, but when you close the game, they'll keep running for a minute or two until the processes have completed their tasks.

To repair your database, open up the infamous Content Manager, and click on the file menu. Look for Quick Database repair, and let it run. This isn't so quick, depending upon how much stuff you have, so plan on doing this overnight at the worst case. Your items should appear after that.

John

PEV
May 20th, 2012, 06:51 PM
If you shut-down your PC immediately after closing Trainz the TADaemon program that manages the database will not have finished tidying up so the database will need a repair. If you leave your PC running after closing Trainz this problem will be greatly diminished or may even disappear completely. The thing normally runs on for only a few minutes after closing the game so it's not a big deal.

And, do not force close TADaemon.exe from ctr-alt-del either.

Also note that you can have TS12 and TS2010 database managers running together with no ill effects.

I have a huge database for TS2010, and I reckon I have only repaired the database a couple of times. If you observe the above and also leave it alone it manages itself.

Remember that if you do a repair, the TADaemon still needs to tidy up afterwards and that also may take quite some time (and you must be connected to the internet for the DLS items to be re-identified.)

Dinorius_Redundicus
May 20th, 2012, 07:56 PM
The above advice is sound, but you can still get into trouble even if you do all that. CM just has a habit of getting out of sync with the rest of the world.

Before you give up entirely, I would advocate an Extended Database Repair. After some recent puzzling "experiences" with CM myself (see this post (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?88697-Why-is-my-Content-Manager-not-able-to-download-anymore&p=986942#post986942) ) I learned the hard way that Quick Database Repair did not resolve the bizarre behaviour I was seeing. This included the inability to download stuff that was obviously on the DLS. Neither of the database repair methods is really quick if you have a substantial collection of assets, so you may as well leave it to an overnight session and go the 'whole hog' with an EDR.