PDA

View Full Version : An Unusual Scenery Item - Complete Industrial Area

boleyd
May 19th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I had this asset several years ago but lost it. Since then I have been searching but no luck. Then I took a closer look at HP Trains and there it was - http://www.hp-trainz.de/Download_Freeware/Scenery/Building/HP_Old_Factory.html .

I have always wondered why there are not more of these types of assets. It seems to be an excellent way to construct very realistic environments in Trainz. It is a 128mb asset and takes several minutes to go through the commit process. :clap:

Scottish
May 19th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Dick, I have downloaded this and I think it is a excellent asset. I can think of a number of ways I will be using it.

If you know of others like this, give me a shout.

Scottish

Richarde57
May 19th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Nice!

☼:D☼

JCitron
May 19th, 2012, 10:13 AM
These are cool and I've used them too.

I agree there should be more of these. Dave Drake made some city blocks for 2004 and 2006 and so did some other European builders. They work okay, but the trees are attached to the blocks as well. By far these have the best detail. :)

John

Thai1On
May 19th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Great tip thanks!

Dave

sawyer811
May 19th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'm on board with this idea! those "city block" assets by dmdrake are my "cheat code" for when I want to lay out a big city but I'm way to lazy to do it building by building :hehe:

JCitron
May 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I'm on board with this idea! those "city block" assets by dmdrake are my "cheat code" for when I want to lay out a big city but I'm way to lazy to do it building by building :hehe:

I use them too. The problem is there's no LOD so everything jumps into place, so I make sure they're hidden from view by trees and hills until the train is on top of them anyway. Maybe someone could work on newer versions of city blocks. ;)

John

Vern
May 21st, 2012, 02:09 AM
+1 on Dave Drakes Cityscape series, includes US housing (though it can pass for other regions), Downtown areas and factory/warehouse clusters. A couple of the latter even made it into my UK based Swindon - Cirencester route. They work okay in TS12, though not sure whether the trees suffer from transparency issues.

Propeller
May 21st, 2012, 05:12 PM
I downloaded this item but it showed up as black.

I'm running Trainz 2010 Build 49933. It shows up with "no missing dependences", "Not faulty", shows a green triangle. The Kuid is 2:6878:1261:1

Any suggestions to get it appear correctly?

I had this asset several years ago but lost it. Since then I have been searching but no luck. Then I took a closer look at HP Trains and there it was - http://www.hp-trainz.de/Download_Freeware/Scenery/Building/HP_Old_Factory.html .

I have always wondered why there are not more of these types of assets. It seems to be an excellent way to construct very realistic environments in Trainz. It is a 128mb asset and takes several minutes to go through the commit process. :clap:

JCitron
May 21st, 2012, 05:27 PM
I downloaded this item but it showed up as black.

I'm running Trainz 2010 Build 49933. It shows up with "no missing dependences", "Not faulty", shows a green triangle. The Kuid is 2:6878:1261:1

Any suggestions to get it appear correctly?

Hi Jim,

Easy fix. This is a video driver issue and how texture compression works in Auran Jet.
Open up Content Manager (CM). Go into the settings and uncheck texture compression. (I'm not sure of the exact wording because I'm not at my home PC right now.)
Open up any recent assets for edit.
Commit the assets.

This will reload them with correct textures showing.

John

Propeller
May 22nd, 2012, 05:28 AM
Thanks John, I'll give it a try tonight.

Propeller
May 23rd, 2012, 04:58 AM
Hello John,
I did give it a try, but I had problems finding "texture compression". I was in CM and found "settings"; I am stuck there. Any further suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Jim,

Easy fix. This is a video driver issue and how texture compression works in Auran Jet.
Open up Content Manager (CM). Go into the settings and uncheck texture compression. (I'm not sure of the exact wording because I'm not at my home PC right now.)
Open up any recent assets for edit.
Commit the assets.

This will reload them with correct textures showing.

John

NickieFoenshauge
May 23rd, 2012, 06:02 AM
... I had problems finding "texture compression". I was in CM and found "settings"; I am stuck there. Any further suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
In TS12 it is a tick box in the "Miscellaneous" tab, bottom of left column, below "Configure sounds". Named "Enable hardware accelerated texture compression". Probably the same in TS10.

Propeller
May 23rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
Thank you Nickie, it was exactly where you said it would be.

Now this brought up another problem. The file is found in the "installed" section of the "Content Manager", but now, when I go to the route I'm editing and click on the "objects" section this file is not to be found. I'm using the name exactly as it is designated in the Content Manager.

Any suggestion on how I can find it so I can place it in my route?

In TS12 it is a tick box in the "Miscellaneous" tab, bottom of left column, below "Configure sounds". Named "Enable hardware accelerated texture compression". Probably the same in TS10.