PDA

View Full Version : Trainz building a route step by step lets play!!!!

Delfront99
May 16th, 2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVcOIibpXO8

Hey guys! This is a new video series on youtube where you guys follow me and learn new tricks and learn how to build a route while i build mine for you to watch, step by step. Thanks for all the support so far, like the video and subscribe so i will do more. This is the first episode, and depending on if one person wants it to continue or a thousand, i will, even if its just one but i prefer more :D. Thanks again, enjoy!

Euphod
May 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I got about nine minutes in, and then had to bail! If I may be so bold as to offer some advice, I would suggest a few points to consider. Let me preface my suggestions by saying that I admire you for the effort, and the goal. It seems that many younger people want to see instructions on youtube, whether it be for boiling an egg, or building a grand piano! It stands to reason that those people could benefit from your work, so I believe that it's a fine idea. I think written instructions went out when Ikea showed up.

From the beginning of your video your cursor is flitting hither and yon across the board, and although you have demonstrated that you know how to use the tools, you haven't exactly taught anyone else how to use the tools. Even at full screen the resolution failed to show the menu selections clearly, and I'm sorry to say that your voice over did little to explain what you were using and why. I did enjoy the moment when you uttered "um... yeah.", that reminded me of my son, thank you.

Although I'm in my fifties and I have used Trainz for more than ten years now, I still would enjoy learning from a video, because I've learned enough to realize that I can still learn more. ("You know nothing Jon Snow...")

I would like to see you start off in the Routes menu, and then begin describing exactly WHAT you are doing (and do it slowly), and provide an explanation of WHY you are doing it. "We are going to make a new route, so we need a blank baseboard. To start, we are going to choose "New Route". When we do this a new window opens and we are asked to enter some details about our map. We need to name the route, and enter the details for the route in the boxes provided. To name the map, simply type in the name to the top box. Next we are asked to select a name for our session, and I have typed in "Test". Next we need to select a region, and we are able to choose different regions and read their descriptions to help us decide. I have chosen "USA", since the map will be based on an area around Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Selecting the correct region is important, because it determines the type of road traffic that will appear and the direction the cars travel. Our next decision is what scale we will be working in. We may as well choose "real scale", because the scale only affects the in game rulers. Our last decision is whether we want our measurements to be expressed in Metric or Imperial systems. Since we are working on a map located in the USA, I have chosen "Imperial". Now, with that being complete, we can click on the check mark box, and get to some real fun."

"Our track will be laid to the North side of a mountain range. This is important, so that the map is correctly oriented from the beginning. If you find you've made a mistake, be warned that there is no way later to "turn the map around". So let's find the South side of this baseboard and we'll work on some mountains, so we can add the tracks later. I'm going to use a displacement map because...."

I think you get the idea.
I'm making this suggestion now because you've just begun, and it will be far easier to produce a video series that can actually help people if you explain your choices and work slower now, and set the pace for the rest of the series.
I hope you're not offended, and I do hope you continue.

Delfront99
May 16th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks Euphod,

I love criticism and yours really taught me, at first i was basically aiming it towards people that generally knew what they were doing and i thought i could teach them tips and tricks. But from what you said i should take a more lower standard approach and describe all the tools of the game step by step. I get you and believe me the next episode i will do this and if you have a youtube please so i can give you a shoutout or a name. I thank you for this advice because i believe this could help this series out alot. And im sorry for the resolution, fraps was being retarded and when i tried full capture of quality i was getting 14 frames but when i did half i was getting 60 frames, my computer can handle games pretty well, fraps has been acting up lately, or it could be because im not running windows 7 anymore but windows 8. But thanks again, i hope you enjoy my future episodes and continue to support me! BTW i live by pittsburgh hehe. Do you know Buffalo and Pittsburgh RR by any chance? I see them everyday, and if you like i could take pics or videos of railfanning them! What do you like to model? Well i best shutup now haha, but thanks again.

Euphod
May 16th, 2012, 06:21 PM
It seems to me that you are aiming at two different groups of people. Experienced builders are going to know how to do what you've shown, and new builders are going to be frustrated with the presentation. Perhaps you may want to make separate videos for each group. You could just do a "Tips and Tricks: Topology for Trainz", and get all your techniques together for one video, but you still should explain them step by step and slowly. Even experienced users need to be able to follow what you are doing. Maybe you could alternate your releases so that you don't become bored.
Don't worry about the resolution, sometimes you don't have control of the situation. You have no idea what resolution a person is watching your video on anyway, but if you explain each button and how you are using it, that should solve that problem. I could SEE the menu, but I couldn't READ the menu.
You're pretty brave to be running Windows 8 already, I still use XP on my desktop, for now.
I will look at your future work, and will continue to offer support and advice until you get sick of it.
I'm not really knowledgeable about the B & P, but I have driven past Pittsburgh several times. Pennsylvania, for all it's faults is a beautiful state, and has a strong tradition of railroading.

As far as youtube, I don't. I also don't facebook, skype, IM, PM, and barely E Mail. I do reskin other peoples models, and am currently working on a route of my own, but I'm not providing details right now.

You should take your railfanning videos and then put them on youtube and post a link here in the forums, people will probably like to view them.

You're welcome, and I will check out your next video when it's done. Hopefully I won't have to bail early!;)

mjolnir
May 17th, 2012, 02:06 AM
In keeping with the adage "if two people agree, one of them is redundant", I'm going to take issue with a point that Euphod made. While I think it might be very profitable for the community for the community if you did a "Tips and Tricks: Topology for Trainz", I don't think that all of your techniques should be all in one video, no matter how short the clips of the individual techniques might be. I'd suggest instead that you consider "Tips and Tricks: " what Librarians would call a "series title", and give each tip or technique it's own video. One reason is that this makes each tip and technique you describe easier to find. I submit that it would be easier for a user who wants to review making a highway or railroad cut to find "Tips and Techniques: making a cut", than trying to remember whether it was at 2 minutes 30 seconds or at 3 minutes 20 seconds in "Tips and Tricks: Topology for Trainz".

ns

Delfront99
May 18th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Well, Euphod i tried to do what you said in the second installment but its up to you if you think i did a decent job and i have it ready for upload to youtube. So be ready, i will link it here so you can find it.

Delfront99
May 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbtm-9hhnVc&feature=youtu.be

Second Episode :)

Delfront99
May 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Sorry i havent done anything in awhile, i had to restore my computer, lost everything unfourtunatey, but Euphod that means i can start fresh.

hert
May 24th, 2012, 10:11 PM
All I can say as an advanced route builder. You have a lot to learn:p. Although it is always interesting how people route build "differently".

hert:wave:

Davie_UCF
May 25th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I think I see what you're trying to do, a Let's Play type video more than a heres how to do it video.. Interesting :)

Delfront99
June 12th, 2012, 12:01 PM
http://youtu.be/L9ZtjCbjk-Q

4th coming soon.

Delfront99
July 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
http://youtu.be/2ErwXs1HCEw

The 4th episode of the series Enjoy!