PDA

View Full Version : Please, I hate the searching.

Andy38d
May 15th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Actual scenario here folks:

Typed "graphics engine" into the search bar. Expecting to see a parade of posts about hardware and performance gains, I instead see a montage of screenshot threads and 3d modeling program support topics. I mean, am I required to do an advanced search for every search I do? It was so much easier in the old forum system, before this new design. The search work(ed) wonders, now, not so much.

Is this a possible look into the future of how trainz will work?

In addition, in my search, I wanted to see if I could find if the graphics engine had been updated recently in any of the past few versions? :hehe:

-Andy

RRSignal
May 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Search Google using "site:forums.auran.com" followed by the search terms you are looking for.

The Search functionality in vBulletin is notoriously bad and often gets worse with many newer versions. As this has been a problem for over 4 years, it seems unlikely that it will be fixed.

Frankly, and I can say this of a few sites of which I am a member, it might be better to remove the native search function entirely and replace it with a Google link.

Andy38d
May 15th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Search Google using "site:forums.auran.com" followed by the search terms you are looking for.

The Search functionality in vBulletin is notoriously bad and often gets worse with many newer versions. As this has been a problem for over 4 years, it seems unlikely that it will be fixed.

Frankly, and I can say this of a few sites of which I am a member, it might be better to remove the native search function entirely and replace it with a Google link.

Thanks RRSignal. It really sucks that it's not likely to be fixed, but, oh well. Life shall go on...

Euphod
May 15th, 2012, 08:53 PM
As far as I know from reading threads posted by development team members the basic engine is the same, but has been tweaked over the years to "get more" functionality out of it.

Red_Rattler
May 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Try choosing the sections you think would the best, and make sure the screenshot section is not part of the option.

JCitron
May 15th, 2012, 10:45 PM
As far as I know from reading threads posted by development team members the basic engine is the same, but has been tweaked over the years to "get more" functionality out of it.

I love it when the developers "fix" things. I see this all the time.

I belong to other forums and the search engine is the same. There's nothing like looking for a Canon Mark III camera and getting something on Cannon Mountain with no mention of the camera anywhere in the thread!

John

whitepass
May 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM
The Jet graphics engine had a major re-wright for TS9.

Euphod
May 16th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I love it when the developers "fix" things. I see this all the time.

I belong to other forums and the search engine is the same. There's nothing like looking for a Canon Mark III camera and getting something on Cannon Mountain with no mention of the camera anywhere in the thread!

John

I was referring to the Jet engine, not the search engine.:)