PDA

View Full Version : 1372mm and 762mm gauges

keimei
May 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hello there. The followings are uncommon gauges used in Japan. I wonder...
1. In the real world, are they used in the other country ?
2. In the Trainz, any track of this gauge is available ?

a. 1372mm (Keio and a part of Tokyu line)
b. 762mm (some of old local lines)

Thanks for your kindly help.

teddytoot
May 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
1372mm corresponds to 4 foot 6 inches Imperial (British). I believe there have been some industial railways built to this gauge but I can't confirm it.

762mm corresponds to 2ft 6in (30in) gauge. This gauge has been used in Britain and the British Empire (as it was when they were built). Two examples are the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway in Wales and the Puffing Billy Railway in Australia. India also had a lot of 2ft 6in gauge lines, some of which still exist. Perhaps somebody can supply it. I suspect the 762mm lines may have a British connection somewhere. There is a website that lists all the known railway gauges but I have lost the link.

2ft 6in (30in) track is near enough 750/760mm of which there is quite a lot available both on the DLS and other sites. 2mm difference is not goint to show.

AnalogOldguy
May 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
There is a layout in Trainz called Feistritztal (for Classics 1&2 and 2006) approximately KUID:121794:1165. It uses 760mm track parts (close to your question, but not a perfect match) !!

(Austrian route)

Maybe you could take a look at the dependencies... Best wishes to you!

Bob P.

clam1952
May 14th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Wikipedia has all the gauge info links to various railways etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Minimum_gauge_railways for the 4ft 6in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Narrow_gauge_railways for the 2ft 6in

Both gauges were used on the Pentewan Tramway in Cornwall, been looking at it as a possible small project.

ZecMurphy
May 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM
762mm (2ft6in/30in) is a relatively popular gauge in a few countries.

Victoria, Australia, had 5 lines in 2ft6in (plus possibly a tramway or two?). 4 of these were steam hauled, and operated by the Victorian Railways. The best known being the Puffing Billy railway.

The Alishan Forrest Railway in Taiwan also operates on 2ft6in gauge, with one of their Shay locomotives now living at the Puffing Billy railway. Another of the shays is operational for special events on that line last I heard.

The Sub Nigel gold mine in South Africa also operated 2ft6in. They operated two Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T's (both still in the region), and an Orenstein and Koppel 0-6-0WT, which is also at the Puffing Billy Railway.

In the UK, I also know of the Leek and Manifold Valley Light Railway, which operated on 2ft6in gauge (their freight stock actually used the same design 'fox' bogies as the Victorian Railways rolling stock). The line operated a pair of Kitson 'Colonial Style' 2-6-4T locomotives, and had 'transporter' wagons to transport Standard Gauge (4ft8.5in) wagons on the line.

Regards

keimei
May 15th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Many thanks for your responses, A good study for me,
762mm is called 'keibin'(light and convenience) in Japan, applied by small private railways. Many of them are obsoleted and only one remains today.

BTW, is there any 1372mm(4'6") track in Trainz? Ive searched on DLS, nothing found. (I plan to make this gauge train/bogey.)

paulzmay
May 15th, 2012, 05:25 AM
There are a lot of 760mm gauge railways in Eastern Europe as well. There is a lot of Trainz rolling stock available in this gauge from Poland, Austria, The Czech Republic, Russia and Hungary.

Paul

keimei
August 28th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Thanks to all, I finished the work of Japanese 30in narrow train car. Class 260 in Utsube-Hachiouji line of Kintetsu Corporation. This may fit on 762mm and 760mm gauge tracks.

http://keimei.moe-nifty.com/knr_news/imageF/F_kt260-0.jpg

Thnaks again.