PDA

View Full Version : Throwing a Bone to Trainz!

ChristopherT
May 13th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I'm thinking about doing a set of four layouts using Trainz UTC. Two would be NG and two would be SG. Both sets would consist of a North-South route and a East-West route. My initial idea was to run dogbones from the temperate East to the Desert and from Sub-Tropical Florida up to a East Coast Winter! I'd like to get everyone's opinions on how many boards I should use. I was intending to do the NG routes on a set one board wide and the SG's on two boards wide! What I'm hoping is the end result will be a smooth transition from one climate to another! :)

Thanks, Everyone!

Christopher

Euphod
May 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Running up the East coast of the US from Florida to where...Virginia? Maybe Delaware? That would require quite a few baseboards whether 2 or 3 wide, even using selective compression. I know UTC has a limit on how many textures can be applied, and it may not have the proper memory utilization to go that far. In addition; starting a route that large in a program so old will work against you as a matter of time. It will be years in the making, and UTC is already quite a few releases behind.
Of course, you're free to do as you wish, I'm only throwing out some considerations.

tomurban
May 13th, 2012, 08:26 PM
To be honest, it would be a waste of time since UTC is so far out of date both content and graphics wise. Not being up loadable, it would be for your use only.

maruffijd
May 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
If you keep it true to the miles. I estimate it would take around the ball park of 2000 baseboards as the crow flies for me to create a route from my home to my Mother's house. I live in VA Beach, VA. When I go visit my Mom in Tampa, Florida, it takes me just shy of 900 miles (894 to be exact) to drive there. Using that as a rough baseline, and the fact that a baseboard along any edge is .447 miles( Yes, I crunched the numbers), That would be a rough guage to estimate on the length of the routes in baseboard count.

ChristopherT
May 14th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks, Guys! All of you have some excellent points, .447 miles to a side, huh? I know it won't be a full scale project,
or releasable, but I do see it as a learning project! Even in the hypothetical! :)

Christopher