PDA

View Full Version : Which Version to Buy

TrainzBadger
May 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Hi All

It's been a loooooong time indeed since I last posted at these forums and during that time I've been away from my "Trainz" and getting my choo choo fix from <looks around to make sure nobody is listening> "shhhh..... Railworks" Boooo! traitor! etc etc.

Now my fickle gaze is turning once again toward my old friend "Trainz" though, but I'm not sure where to throw my wallet!

When I was last here I was just starting to dip my toes into the processor hungry waters of "Tr2006", but although I was enjoying learning how to play on an experimental layout, (and posted as such) when it came to playing the game proper, it turned out to be a little too demanding for my creaking rig to be able to do it justice and I quickly found myself reverting to "Tr2004".

My fervent hope though was that one day I'd be in a position to afford a machine capable of doing "Tr2006" justice and... well.. it took it's time but that day has finally arrived and I am currently awaiting the arrival of (I'm not very technical so I hope this is the pertinent bit) a machine with 3.00GHZ Quad core with 8GB of DDR3 Ram and a GeForce GTX560 graphics card.

Things in "Trainz" land have not stood still though it seems and the "2006" model which once sniffed haughtily at me and scorned my clumsy advances, has now vanished to the great train shed in the sky to be replaced by younger sexier versions not once but three times!

The real question is this though. the all new, all singing and all dancing model would seem to be "Trainz 2012" and it "looks" as though I can only buy this direct from "Auran" and it would cost $50. (Hmmm.. that'd be 31 in proper money then :hehe: ) But it looks as though I could get the "Tr2010 Engineers Edition" for under 10 from Amazon.

So how much would I be missing if I opted for the slightly older variant then eh? Baring in mind that while I'm slightly more dedicated than a casual gamer, none the less by the standard of most of you reading this I would imagine, I'll barely scratch the surface of whichever version I end up taking to the tracks on. Which might suggest I'd be better off with the cheaper option.

On the other hand, I've read that the 2010 version was plagued by performance issues on even high spec machines and to be honest with you that'd be terribly disappointing as I've been waiting all this time to have a machine which would be able to show "Trainz" in all its glory, so the last thing I want is to have to mess about with setting compromises again even now. Or perhaps the performance rumours were just a load of old tosh and "2010" was just fine? I'm sure you chaps will clue me in.

So what do you think then ladies and gents? Worth splashing out on the all new one? Or better given my slightly casual player status to stick with the cheaper one? Or maybe even another option, buy "2009" or just stick with "2006" which of course is still sitting in ye olde games chest.

All the best and thanks for any advice.
Badger

Euphod
May 13th, 2012, 10:42 AM
2010 would seem to be a good fit for you, it has plenty of content, and features that you will enjoy. 12 is pretty much a clean slate, although I find it superior to the other versions, it may put off one who is transitioning from 2006.

shaneturner12
May 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Badger,

One bit of advice I will give you now is that whichever version you do get (TS2009,TS2010, or TS12) avoid getting it from Steam. Also, for TS2010, any digital download version from anywhere but http://www.auran.com/shop/display_product.php?PID=198 you will run into issues.

In terms of features, most say that TS12 is the one to get, but I'd advise comparing features and system requirements first.

Useful links:

http://www.auran.com/shop/display_product.php?PID=179 (TS2009)
http://www.auran.com/shop/display_product.php?PID=198 (TS2010)
http://www.auran.com/shop/display_product.php?PID=362 (TS12)

Shane

EDIT: Euphod is correct regarding TS12 - most of the built-in content has been removed with TS12, but most of it can be downloaded from the Download Station (apart from routes/sessions)

jon157uk
May 13th, 2012, 11:56 AM
...and although I'm totally new to the Trainz scene and like to add that Shane is absolutely right, I bought TS12 and TS10EE from Steam and I've had nothing but trouble with both. I have now got 12 on DVD and I'll shortly be doing the same with 10.
In my opinion, so far, I couldn't really recommend one over the other, 12 is excellent and I'm really starting to get in to it now that it works properly. My machine is pretty old but runs 12 a lot better than I thought it would with a core2 2.8g Intel, 4g ram and a geforce gtx8800, obviously I've had to turn it down a little but nowhere near as much as I imagined and I'm quite happy with how it runs for now.
TS10EE also looks impressive but as I said, I'm struggling to get it working properly yet and I can't download any content for it.....
For what it's worth, my advice would be buy both if you are able but make sure you get the DVD versions.

TrainzBadger
May 14th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Thank you for the speedy replies all.

Thanks for the links Shane, it looks as though I don't need to worry about the specs at least as if I'm reading it right the new machine will deal happily with any of the three.

On Balance I think I'll "probably" go with "2010" for now and then later upgrade to "2012", perhaps when it's a little more affordable. (As well as being available to buy a little more widely.)

How about those supposed "2010" performance issues though, no input on those? I heard that coding issues made it choppy even if you had a high spec machine. Seems like an odd thing to me if true. What have been your experiences folks?

Badger

RRSignal
May 14th, 2012, 10:24 AM
It performs pretty well for me, and I have a pretty low-end machine (3.2 GHz e6700 Pentium dual-core, GT240 GPU) and on most parts of most routes I can get 60fps. It drags down to 20-25fps on some parts of Avery-Drexel; this is sort of a "killer" route. I haven't noticed that TS12's performance is "better" per se, but that the draw distance is farther, which suggests that the engine does have some enhancements.

TramDU1214
May 18th, 2012, 05:03 AM
TS 2012 has multiplayer.
Get both, you won't miss out anything.

steamboateng
May 18th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I agree with Euphod, buy TS10, which has plenty of content. If you find you like like it, you can pick up TS12 later.

TrainzBadger
May 19th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Thanks again for the advice all. T2010EE purchased and received, see new post.

Badger

Konni
May 20th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Hi,

Ts2012 is what 09 and 2010 should have been. Register your 2012 version with N3V and download any content you want from the DLS.
There is no need to bother with the older versions.

Cheers,

Konni

Mouse84
May 20th, 2012, 06:28 AM
No, TS12 is stripped of all the good built in content. To me, I should have stayed at 2010, TS12 is a joke.

S301
May 20th, 2012, 08:31 AM
It should be pointed out that all of the legacy content (except the actual routes that were added in TS2010) is available on the DLS... It is available for TS12, however including it would have approximately doubled the size of TS12 (approx 10GB installer). This is too large to really be viable at the current time, so the legacy content was removed.

Regards

H222
May 21st, 2012, 05:10 AM
No, TS12 is stripped of all the good built in content. To me, I should have stayed at 2010, TS12 is a joke.

WOrks for me, most of it I don't use plus it's outdated, and it eats up space on my HD that I could utilize for stuff I use

Jamie