PDA

View Full Version : control speed and acceleration of AI.

gremlin1812
May 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
G'day All, I am trying to get a steam loco to drive under AI controle on a route which has a speed in most areas of 80+ KPH but I want the train to only do 40 KPH and to accelerate gradually rather than act like a HST. The route is electrofied fully signaled, everything works fine except for getting a realistic speed/acceleration rate. have tried some rules for max speed ETC to no avail so far.
Regards
Barrie

Kennilworth
May 12th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Hi Barrie

I use the driver command Set Max Speed To by nikkia to control the maximum speed in TS12 and so far it has worked flawlessly. There are two versions, one for mph and the other for kph. Using this command I can run a train from Kings Cross to Newcastle on the ECML route and get all the passing times from the working timetable accurate to within a minute.

When I need to adjust the acceleration and braking rates I clone the engine spec for the particular loco and then edit the max-accel and max-decel tags until I get the performance that I want. I adjust these figures to try and get a reasonable power performance from the loco but it is trial and error to get it right. I built a test track to try out the different combinations and this proved most useful. It was two straight tracks both 9 miles long, one dead level and the other continuously rising (or falling depending which way you are running) at 1 in 100. I tested each loco with the same load by running them up to full speed and then shutting the power off. They were timed from a standing start to reaching max speed and then from max speed to becoming stationary.

I finished up with different performances for steam locos in the different UK power bands and a class 6 loco would struggle to keep time on a class 7 duty over the S&C route. The difference between the timings for the locos was entirely due to the different acceleration and braking rates.

Regards

Brian

gremlin1812
May 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
G'day Brian, I failed to mention that I am working in TS10 and I don't think this rule is available for it (at least I cannot find it on DLS) I have not had much experience in using rules as most of my time has been spent in finding assets and fixing them (part of the reason I don't do much with TS12) apart from it not having compatibility mode.
Regards
Barrie

Ricke82
May 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Set Max Speed To,<kuid2:450022:90001:1>
Set Max Speed To (km/h),<kuid:450022:90002>

I've not used the km/h version, but the mph version works fine in TS2010.

oknotsen
May 12th, 2012, 03:09 PM
If not, you could use my trigger right after every speed sign and set it to change the max speed of that specific train (or group of trains, see the various available filters);
Update max speed and priority,<kuid2:645812:100106:5>

gremlin1812
May 12th, 2012, 03:31 PM
G'day All, I got it, it works a treat and as his speed is limited he does not take off like a scalded cat so this time a win/win.
Regards and thanks.
Barrie

axe1970
May 12th, 2012, 07:11 PM
"Set Max Speed To" isn't listed as a rule, but is listed under Driver commands.

I recently download this command and it is a god send very awesome. Works fine in TS2010.

The mph version is inbuilt in TS2012