PDA

View Full Version : New freelance Michigan route

vonhammer_87
April 28th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I have decided to start building a freelance route, called the Michigan Northern which would be located in north western part of the state, running from say Manistee to Traverse city, with a branch line running to Arcadia and possibly Frankfort. The route is freelanced,it will be mostly single track, and it will interchange with the C&O, PM, Ann Arbor and Grand Trunk. Era is going to be 1950s, below is an idea of the rough route. Main yards will be in Mainistee and Traverse City. Thinking about using fictional names for towns, not sure on that yet, what do you guys think? I am planning on making this available for Multiplayer. Below is the proposed route. Not sure about weather or not to use DEM for the terrain.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6522/michigannorthernpropose.png

deadpoolmx55
April 28th, 2012, 03:49 PM
using a dem makes everything SOOO MUCH EASIER, but good luck my friend i look forward to see seeing screenshots

vonhammer_87
April 30th, 2012, 02:33 PM
yea, except that i need someone to do the DEM since i have no idea how to use TransDEM.

deadpoolmx55
April 30th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I can try I just bought transdem and I made my Pittsburgh dem with it, just give me the cordance of the area you want to make and I'll try and find it it you want. I can't promise I'll be able to find it but it's worth a try, it won't be able to do it till later because I'm not home. I'm at the skate park on my iPhone

vonhammer_87
April 30th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I see, Well i can give you an aproxx of 44 deg 30 min N 84 deg w basicly the area defined in the screen shot. Mainistiee to travsere city, or perhaps Interlochen, which is about midway.

jlp1551
April 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Being from Michigan, this thread caught my eye.
I vote for using the names of towns in the area you are modeling. It would seem more lifelike. Of course, you could add a town of a different name too.
I'm doing my layout in North Carolina. Here in Salisbury, NS has a nice wye. So, I'm starting from there and I'm hoping to roughly follow the names of towns and some of the industries served by NS here. Been looking at Google maps, getting more ideas. I'm having tons of fun, and keeping out of trouble, which is the name of the game. And since I no longer have a place with a nice basement, or the room, doing Trainz is much easier in a two BR small place!!!
Of course, go with the way you want. It is like a home model railroad, do what you like. If someone doesn't like it, so what, as long as it makes you happy. And, using real names sort of set the real place of the layout, and can have a history too!

vonhammer_87
May 3rd, 2012, 06:19 AM
Well after doing sine digging and talking to a few freinds, I did fund out that there actully was a Michigan Northern which ran north out of Grand Rapids.

I think I might do just that try to roughly follow the names of the towns

Just wish I had that DEM. ..

belgian46
May 3rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
I can try I just bought transdem and I made my Pittsburgh dem with it, just give me the cordance of the area you want to make and I'll try and find it it you want. I can't promise I'll be able to find it but it's worth a try, it won't be able to do it till later because I'm not home. I'm at the skate park on my iPhone

Hello Jcalmx55,

Here is the link http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM1/Region_03/ wherin you will find the area ( zipped hgt file ) Vonhammer_87 needs.

Best regards

Kurt :wave:

vonhammer_87
May 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting that link. Btw I don't really need the hog/tiger lines if it would make it easier. Also in changing the name to the Mainistee, Thompsonvill, and Grand Traverse.