PDA

View Full Version : More than Twenty Drivers

KonstantinMMRR
April 23rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
When running TrainZ12, I notice that problems begin to arise when more than 20 drivers are active at any given time.

When trains are parked on a siding, and have no commands, as long as a driver is assigned to them, this seems to count towards the 20 drivers. I am wondering if any of you have ideas about the following: I create trains with drivers. The drivers are given commands, some to drive to particular sidings. After a train arrives at the siding, and its tasks are complete, then, I take the driver off that train. While this train is parked, without a driver, does this count towards the maximum amount of drivers I can have?

I like to have several trains running, but I also would like to have trains parked along the way, that can drive at a later time, once I re-assign them a driver.

Thank you
Dean

Conductorphil
April 23rd, 2012, 03:50 PM
First question: How large is your route?

Secondly: While Trainz has no hard limit on the number of drivers you can have, twenty drivers is actually quite alot. Each Driver needs to form a route to his destination by creating an 'informal' route for them to follow which is the shortest path from A to B. Normally, this would cross over another drivers path so one driver must give way. However for each consecutive driver that you have, Trainz has to do more and more work to make sure that they each are able to get to their destination without hitting another driver (Regardless of whether or not they cross over). Also, when a driver is assigned to 'drive' a train, they are basically looking out for each change in the track (Drivers are actually programmed to slow down on tight corners regardless of the speed limit). This uses up more of your CPU, thus making it easier for Trainz to make a mistake.

It would be better to use a smaller number of Drivers, or take advantage of the use of portals as they work amazingly.

KonstantinMMRR
April 23rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
The route where problems arise is the Monata Rail Link. I have changed the route a little. I have added portals, and revised a few signals and speed limits. It takes about six hours for a train to drive from one end to the other. I have an exit, and an entrance portal at each end. It is single track with passing sidings. I have portals programmed to emit one train every hour at each end. The default instruction is "Drive to Portal East Exit" or "Drive to Portal West Exit". I can run this literally all day long, without any of my input, and the trains drive just fine. However, when I want to drive a train myself, I want more randomness and more things happening. I start adding trains from portals, and I add some instructions to some trains. Everything seems to work fine until I get to about 21-23 trains, then they quit following directions. They even quit paying attention to signals and directional arrows. I would like to park some trains (not just cars, entire trains) on siding in yards especially. It looks stupid to drive through yards without any trains. However, when I do this, the number of trains get to be too high.

Dean

fran1
April 23rd, 2012, 04:46 PM
You could use the quick drive rule to assign drivers to locos when you need them and remove them when you don't.

Sniper297 has done assets/cars you can place that don't put a load on the comp until you couple a loco to them, sounds like these are what you want.