PDA

View Full Version : TTX 53ft Double stack Well

BRClass66
March 14th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Hi,

Can someone explaine please ,how you load the TTX, With two 20ft containers at the bottom and one 40ft or 53ft container on the top in Multi Industries New (MIN)...?

I can get it to load 40ft's double stacked and 53ft's double stacked but never 20's on the bottom and a 40 or 53 ontop.

Thanks.

colourlight
March 14th, 2012, 06:13 AM
You can,t. Ever seen it in real life?

oknotsen
March 14th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Ever seen it in real life?Not myself, but it sure looks like it happens in real life....:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-7SS1qw9SOtwaPRN04Icf9fuKh_Rn6yFEEe8q7uQUWhfFxFn- The first 5 on this train for example.

This seems to be TTX: http://www.papabens.com/NewProducts/kato_1066142_2.jpg.

colourlight
March 14th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the pictures which I found interesting. I still don,t think it could be done in Trainz, Maybe you could alter the coding somehow but that is beyond my expertise

BRClass66
March 14th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks both...

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/avatars/atsfsd75mleft.gif (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/member.php?615812-oknotsen) oknotsen (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/member.php?615812-oknotsen) Love those pics ..thanks

i can load them up like that before i get to the playing of the game but just thought there was away to do it in MIN or maybe another industry..

but yet another bubble bursts lol.

Thanks
Brad

JohnnyC1
March 14th, 2012, 10:10 AM
You can do it several ways; set up a MIN track that will load 20 footers and a MIN track out of the fist MIN load trigger with the 40-53 footers, or use the "Load With" rule and make two passes at the same MIN; fwd & rev.

John

BRClass66
March 14th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks John (JohnnyC1),

Works a treat,

I set up one MIN to take on the 20's and further down the line it takes the 40's.

Would be great to do it in one hit, But not a problem ......Goimg to mess around to find a good layout for this.

Maybe a Y track so it backs up for the 40's.

But thanks again.

Regards
Brad

oknotsen
March 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM
If you have to use 2 industries to get it to work, you might as well make those on different locations. Thats not strange in real life either. Would not be the first time you see a container train come by with a few half or completely empty cars to be loaded further down the line.

Dermmy
March 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM
If you have to use 2 industries to get it to work, you might as well make those on different locations. Thats not strange in real life either. Would not be the first time you see a container train come by with a few half or completely empty cars to be loaded further down the line.

Intermodal doesn't work like that. A block of cars might get switched to another train at an Intemodal hub somewhere, but pretty much once IM is loaded it doesn't get mucked about with along the line. The 'empty' spots are simply because there were not enough loads for the destination...

JohnnyC1
March 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Either CSX or NS has a double stack train that is loaded in the Chicago area with the top stack unloaded at one location in NY and the bottom stack unloaded in New England. I think this is due to height clearance issues on Pan Am Railways. As the saying goes, "there's a prototype for everything!"

John

philskene
March 14th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hi BRClass66 --

Two 20 ft containers under a 40 ft or longer container is certainly possible both in Trainz and in real life. But the opposite does not apply because the 40 ft and longer containers do not have a mid-way strengthened mounting point for the inner ends of the 40 ft containers.

I uploaded a session some time ago to demonstrate how to set up the Multiple Industry New to load various container combinations. See here:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=77594

And a video of the loading process can be found here (best viewed full screen and HD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnCCLhuhh38

Look for "KrashnburneRRCo TS12 Container Virtuoso Session" on the Download Station.

The following are needed from the jointedrail.com web site. The downloads are free but registration is required:

TTX 53' Husky Stack Weathered
Container Pack 1
Container Pack 2

When Container Pack 2 is downloaded it will show as "Containers for the Masses".

Tell me if this helps.
_____

Hi Andy --

"Intermodal doesn't work like that. A block of cars might get switched to another train at an Intemodal hub somewhere, but pretty much once IM is loaded it doesn't get mucked about with along the line. The 'empty' spots are simply because there were not enough loads for the destination..."

I'm not absolutely sure if that is true. I suspect that the Pacific National and QR trains that work from Sydney/Melbourne to Adelaide as single stack (due to the restricted clearances under the electric wires and through tunnels) then have a double stack added at either Adelaide or Port Augusta for the long trip over the Nullarbor to Perth.

Phil

Richarde57
March 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM
There are also strange things to happen when loading 2 20ft and on top 1 40ft container.
When going to a 20ft unloading industry while the 40ft is on top the 20ft containers unload but the 40ft will stay floating at the same level as it was.
This happens with Ocemy Containerz Pack.
There should be a rule that you can't unload 20ft while there's a 40ft on top.
Don't know if other industries with other containers have the same "problem".

☼:)☼

Dermmy
March 14th, 2012, 07:46 PM
LOL

I should be more careful :)

USA railroads generally don't 'muck about' with IM once it's loaded, except in extenuating circumstances. I think I'm covered now!

Seriously though IM is handled very differently from other traffic. It 'tends' to travel in dedicated blocks from 'A' to 'B'. It is 'generally' high priority cargo and the goal is to get it there 'now'. I am absolutely certain there are exceptions aplenty, my comment was intended as a gentle prompt that setting up a system where individual IM cars are half loaded at YardA and 'topped up' at YardB is probably not the best way to do it.

No argument at all though with the original idea of loading the bottom at one point in a yard then loading the top at another point in the same yard. Still not absolutely right but in the absence of any properly animated freeware container loading system it's as good a way to do it as any. Phil's way is better though...

Andy ;)

BNSF650
March 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I to have problems with these cars. How do you load them. Whats the name of the JR Containers to load them?

JCitron
March 14th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Either CSX or NS has a double stack train that is loaded in the Chicago area with the top stack unloaded at one location in NY and the bottom stack unloaded in New England. I think this is due to height clearance issues on Pan Am Railways. As the saying goes, "there's a prototype for everything!"

John

John,

Both come up to New England. NS by way of its partner with Pan Am Railways via their joint venture Pan Am Southern. They do some unloading in Ayer, MA. The others are done via CSX on the Boston and Albany. They exchange with the P&W at Worcester and bring additional containers into Alston-Brighton Yard.

I've seen a few containers heading to main, Portland and beyond, but not many. The trains get pretty short once they go past Ayer.

John

JohnnyC1
March 15th, 2012, 02:07 AM
read the post below this

JohnnyC1
March 15th, 2012, 02:20 AM
You can set-up a MIN track or a BI2 type Industry track to load the containers. If you drive manually to the industry track, it will load 3 cars at once with whatever product you choose. The April issue of Trains Magazine has an article on how the NA roads are using empty containers to back haul corn & soya beans to Asia via west cast ports , interesting article. So now you can spot your wellcars at those grain elevators.

John

philskene
March 15th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Hi John --

"You can set-up a MIN track or a BI2 type Industry track to load the containers."

Of course. But the real trick is to set up the well cars so that they will load only the containers that you want to see loaded on them.

If you watch the video that I provided a link to in my earlier post and then download the session you can probably work out how it's done - in Surveyor mouse click on the "?" in the "Objects" flyout and then click on MIN that I have used to load the containers. It will show how it's configured.

Do the same with the well cars and the "Trains" flyout. You will see that I deleted some of the container combinations that the cars are configured to load.

Phil

BRClass66
March 15th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks to all that have helped me by replying to my thread...

some really interesting learning stuff....

I can now get the wellcars to load 20's on the bottom and a 40 ontop manually and AI..with queue 1 having 20's and queue 2 having 40's in the MIN setup

At the next MIN track to unload, queue 1 has 40's and queue 2 has 20's

Regards
Brad

maruffijd
March 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I often wondered where these well cars get to. I live near the Norfolk Shipping Yard in Virginia where these things get loaded and unloaded for international shipping.

mrmom
March 15th, 2012, 06:27 PM
CSX in Worester MA is building a new yard...Thay have been raising the bridges in MA. so CSX can double stack..I think there was 23 bridges..there moving there yard from Boston...

JohnnyC1
March 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Phil,
That's what I do, all of my well cars have their queues modified to accept specific containers. However I don't use MIN as a general rule, I use ProtoLars or BI2 industry tracks for my commodities. When I do use MIN it's for testing as you can change things in surveyor.
There is also a very informative article on intermodal, TOFC/COFC, in the November 2011 Trains magazine. It's amazing what's being stuffed in those boxes.

John