PDA

View Full Version : Which recording Software Should I Use?

GN1996
February 20th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I would like to download a game recording software but would like to consult the community about whch one they think is better.

I am running 64-bit Windows 7/AMD Phenom II 521 3.5 GHz Dual Core/4GB System Memory/1TB Hard Drive.

William0d0
February 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I use http://www.fraps.com/.

The free version limits recordings to 30 seconds.

Enkidoh
February 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I don't have really any experience in recording video from games like Trainz, but I do know FRAPs is a very good application for the task, software I usually use for taking screenshots in games which don't have a screenshot feature (I don't use it with Trainz), but which can record video as well. The freeware version though only allows 30 seconds of recording at a time and puts a watermark over the recorded video, so if you want to take long videos of your route you'll need to purchase it.

Also, make sure the version of FRAPs you use is compatible with the version of DirectX you happen to have installed on your system - I downloaded the latest release of FRAPs and wondered why it wasn't working - it took me ages to realize that it was because I didn't have DirectX 10 installed on my system at the time.

Another problem FRAPs suffers from I've heard it has a bug where if you save the recorded video to the same drive the game you're recording footage from is also installed on, the game will suffer a major frame rate reduction while recording (and thus making your recording appear more like a Powerpoint slideshow). It's easily overcome though by saving to another drive separate from your installation drive. ;)

dricketts
February 20th, 2012, 09:32 PM
What about software to compress the video and upload it to youtube after using fraps?

Satyr
February 20th, 2012, 09:52 PM
G'Day,

I just downloaded a REE full version of Fraps, and it's legal. Just google Fraps free full version, and that will direct you to a site where you have to sign up to some commercial stuff, but there are ways around this:cool:.
As for converting your video; try "any video converter" it is also free, and can convert your video into several formats.

Have a good one,
E.C.

GN1996
February 20th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Windows Live Movie Maker

William0d0
February 20th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Windows Live Movie Maker

Yes, Windows Movie Maker works great for videos created with FRAPS.

Retro00064
February 20th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I use the free and open-source Avidemux for video editing, which can save/encode video, but since I have not recorded any Trainz videos I do not know how Avidemux would work with output from programs like FRAPS.

By the way, does anyone know of a free-software alternative to FRAPS? Hopefully there is something out there to break the status quo of using a proprietary recorder.

Satyr
February 20th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Windows Live Movie Maker

G'day,

That's whay I use to pit the video together and edit it (wipes and transitions and to put text in it) but tyhen I put it through "Any Video Converter" to shrink it to a format with a more manageable size such as MP4.
This is uploads much quicker and is kinder on the data alowance if you don't have unlimited data.

Have a good one,
E.C.

Retro00064
February 20th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Windows Movie Maker, as far as I know, can only save to .WMV format (not sure if it can save to .AVI format). Avidemux can encode directly to a number of formats.

Avidemux doesn't have all the filters that WMM does, though WMM's "old film" filters are crud. I wonder if there are other free/open-source video editors out there with a similar (but better) filter set to WMM.

philskene
February 20th, 2012, 10:34 PM
"What about software to compress the video and upload it to youtube after using fraps?"

I've tried most and settled on VirtualDub. It's freeware and easy to use.

It will join the FRAPS output .avi files. It will edit files and compress them.

This video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njAdC55jArk

for example, is 5min 44sec in length. The original FRAPS output was six files of between 1.16 GB and 3.90 GB in size. After combining and editing them the output was one 13 GB file. When compressed, even as a full frame HD video, it became 202 MB in size.

For what it is doing VirtualDub is surprisingly quick. Joining and editing took about 20 minutes. Compression about 15 minutes. The slowest part of the whole process was uploading to youtube.

And, no, I don't have shares in VirtualDub.

Phil

GP502011
February 20th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Bandicam is the best. It lets you record up to 10 min of video at a time if you are unregistered and it takes great pictures.

NSguy999
February 21st, 2012, 12:25 AM
Bandicam is the best. It lets you record up to 10 min of video at a time if you are unregistered and it takes great pictures. Yes it does, but om my laptop it makes my game lag a lot I don't know if it will happen to your computer or laptop

Electro
February 21st, 2012, 12:26 AM
:wave: I use both Bandicam and VirtualDub to make and edit my Vid's before uploading to youtube.

( Just a side note that i have Bandicam saveing to a differnt HD so it doe's not slow down Trainz in any way )

Poul

cascaderailroad
February 21st, 2012, 05:13 AM
When making a video, segments should be kept between 3-5 seconds in length, as any longer than 10 seconds, the viewer gets really bored with a long drawn out scene.

Tracking view, where the camera follows the train should be avoided, as it is very unprototypical, unless you are viewing from a helicopter or plane (unless railfans can fly like Superman).

Free roam should be from a perspective of down low (@ the height of a persons eye), unless it is taken from a cliff or other trackside vista.

Trackside cameras should mostly be low, although from viewing a slight top of passing traincars makes things more interesting.

When at a RR crossing, position the camera up track, or down track, @ 200' - 500', as a blaring horn or whistle gets really annoying, real quick.

Videos taken from inside of another loco's cab view, looks most amazing, and the Trainzoptions File the line -freeintcam makes in cab roaming possible, and even way outside of cab from a bugz eye view perspective.:cool:

Stagefright
February 21st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Post deleted. Duplicated.

Stagefright
February 21st, 2012, 11:32 AM
What about software to compress the video and upload it to youtube after using fraps?

Freemake (http://www.freemake.com)is free, powerful, and easy to use.

Darrel

buttmunch
March 4th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know what this does? and if you say 'it enables in game video' I will set the flying monkeys on you......just sayin'

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz73/britiniowa/video.jpg