PDA

View Full Version : How to stop CM auto-refresh?

HiBaller
February 19th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Has anyone figured out how to stop the auto-refresh of the Assets panel in CM (2006/2009/2010). Nothing gets me more aggravated than to have a nice group of items all selected and then the stupid panel auto-refreshes and I lose the whole bunch of them (or worse, part of them that have scrolled off the panel and I don't notice it). The "Auto Apply Filters" check box doesn't make any difference. I am thinking that this 'refresh' is a "feature" but I would be very grateful if there was an option to stop auto-refresh.

Bill

shaneturner12
February 19th, 2012, 04:43 PM
That doesn't sound right. The only search terms that should cause that effect are Faulty, Open for Edit, Obsolete and a few others.

Usually, the 'Don't auto-apply filters' box should handle that if ticked.

Are there any particular search terms in use at the time?

Shane

HiBaller
February 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Not quite what I was trying to describe, Shane. I mean something like this scenario:

You use the "Updates" filter and all the updateable items show up. You Select All (Cntrl-A) and choose "Show in Main Window". They all show up (except the little dudes that show question marks - and I have 51 of them). Now, you scan down the list (holding the Control key) and click each of the tiny little "DS"s. Sometimes (most times) what will happen is that while you are going down the list, an auto-refresh comes along and 'unselects" what you've already selected. That's what I meant. Filters don't enter into it at all, just the repetitive refresh of the Main Window.

I have also found that "Reverse Selection" will miss some items so I do it manually.

Bill

narrowgauge
February 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Bill

I was going to see if there is the same problem in TS12 but can't. Where is the update filter?

One thing I wanted to try is this. Do a Select all as you mention but then instead of working with single items drag all the selected items to the Download helper box. Another possibility is to right-click on the selection and choose 'download' at the top.

Peter

narrowgauge
February 19th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Looks like my last post has not made it to the thread

I did this:

Location>Local
Out of date>true
select all
right click
Click 'download'
Click start on download helper
Works fne

Another way would be to drag them all onto the picklist, clear the filter, then click 'show in main list' then do your routine.

Peter

HiBaller
February 19th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Sorry, Peter. I created my own "Update" filter just like you did but then I saved it. This isn't only about updates. It is having the ability to select more than one item in the Main Window. Try this:

Put anything in the Main window (My Content, whatever).

Now, click any item to select it

Then, hold down the SHIFT key and try to select something out of sight below the bottom edge of the window (using the wheel to scroll)

By the time you get to wherever you want to stop, the 'auto-refresh' has struck and the top boundary of what you wanted to select has now disappeared (been unselected).

This can even happen if you simply select one item and wait for auto-refresh. When it hits, you selection will be automatically UN-selected and you have to start again. Unless you're really, really fast, you simply cannot select more than one page in this manner because auto-refresh happens too fast. I'd simply love to be able to turn it off. I can refresh it easily with the F5 key.

Bill

JCitron
February 19th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Sorry, Peter. I created my own "Update" filter just like you did but then I saved it. This isn't only about updates. It is having the ability to select more than one item in the Main Window. Try this:

Put anything in the Main window (My Content, whatever).

Now, click any item to select it

Then, hold down the SHIFT key and try to select something out of sight below the bottom edge of the window (using the wheel to scroll)

By the time you get to wherever you want to stop, the 'auto-refresh' has struck and the top boundary of what you wanted to select has now disappeared (been unselected).

This can even happen if you simply select one item and wait for auto-refresh. When it hits, you selection will be automatically UN-selected and you have to start again. Unless you're really, really fast, you simply cannot select more than one page in this manner because auto-refresh happens too fast. I'd simply love to be able to turn it off. I can refresh it easily with the F5 key.

Bill

I've had that happen. I know exactly what you mean. It used to happen in CMP too, so it's not new. I'm lucky most of the time and I get want I select, but then again. My selection deselects and I end up with only one item! I just chock it to yet another little annoyance in the program we love so much.

John

narrowgauge
February 19th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I don't have any refresh problem, remember, I am using TS12, TRS10 has gone due to drive problems.

I do it differently

Select 'my content'

Select one item.

Page down until I see my next target

CTRL and Select.

Repeat as many times as needed. When I page up and down, the selections are still there and more can be selected if I missed some.

Even though there are selections out of sight, they will still drag to the Picklist, or Helper or right click and 'download'

Am I doing what you want to achieve but by a different process.

Second thoughts. Your original concern was with Updates, could it be that the refresh is because CM finds another update and resorts your listing, If this is the case, doing a 'select all' and drag them to the Picklist. This would fix your listing and isolate it from the filter.

Peter

narrowgauge
February 19th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Why are you holding the Shift key when you scroll down? Mine works by selecting one line, scrolling down with no key selected and then SHIFT + select the last line. I then get a full block of selected items. I have just been watching the screen with the Updated filter sequence set, no changes no refresh.

Peter

HiBaller
February 19th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Some times I hold the shift key down, sometimes I don't. In most cases, if the list is short, I can get it all selected before one or more deselect. I agree that selecting one item then moving down the list and hitting Ctrl-Click selects each one in turn. When you have a lot of them to select, that can get tedious. Selecting a top item, then scrolling down and using Shift-Click may sometimes work, but most times doesn't because the top selection has already been unselected.

My main thrust is: why can't we turn off auto-refresh when we want to? I've tried to get this one into the Suggestion Boxcar, but the three times I've tried it never made it.

Bill

boleyd
February 20th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I have same issue with a 'top down' select sequence. I find that a 'bottom up' works most times - maybe all.

Select an anchor item at the bottom of the list the SHIFT-Scroll UP.