PDA

View Full Version : Lock a Route From Editing??

boleyd
February 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I have inadvertently deleted a route twice. Because of that I would like a way to lock a route so that if it appears in the Surveyor it is not changeable, nor can it be deleted, without the user clearing a "key". This positive action would prevent fat fingering and deleting a route then not noticing it until later when it is obviously gone.

mjolnir
February 19th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I don't know how to lock a route, but I achieve the same effect you are seeking by incorporating a crude form of version control when working on routes. To illustrate, assume I've started a brand new route, and I'm ready to save it for the first time. I save the route as "route0a", where the penultimate character [OT Sidebar: curiosity got the better of me, and I did a search: this post apparently contains both the first AND the second uses of the word "penultimate" in the forums] is a zero. So, next time I work on the route, the very first thing I do when I open it for editing, is to save it as "route0b", the next day, when I open "route0b" for further editing, I immediately save it as route0c. At some point, when a major milestone has been passed, I increment the zero to one, so that the name becomes "route1a". Now, while this doesn't lock provide a lock on any of the files, if I actually delete route0f, I've not lost nearly so much time and effort, as I can simply reload route0e again.

ns