PDA

View Full Version : Monday Feb 13, 2012 -- is the FCT downloading for everyone?

mikemike
February 13th, 2012, 12:52 PM
The regular download, without FCT, is always full-server. I don't want to buy an FCT if the server itself is wrong ( not working ).

Thanks.

korikovaVL80
February 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Don't buy FCT, use the download sites instead, much easier and faster :)

clam1952
February 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Works fine for me 99% of the time. You can see if its working here http://www.auran.com/planetauran/FTP_Status_Log.php Green is the FCT server the other one is the free server.

Note it currently is not full, maybe you need to sort out your settings such as firewall.

oknotsen
February 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I dont have a FCT and the DLS is working fine.
Sure, its 5kb/sec and a 100mb/day limit but that something you have to live with if you dont pay for full bandwidth.

mikemike
February 13th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Don't buy FCT, use the download sites instead, much easier and faster :)

yes, but i think quickdrive manager 3 must be more complete on trainz DLS, because everything i'm DL'ing from pguy's site is showing missing dependencies. And, some content creators only have DLS links anymore -- Like, i think, Ian's...

mikemike
February 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM
i'm not getting any DL's from the site for the last several days. have you used it today? because, i'm only getting 'server full'

korikovaVL80
February 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM
You're right about all those missing dependencies, for that you could use Download Station. But you can also google them.

Download station isn't working for me either, but I don't have a first class ticket as well.

oknotsen
February 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Just going to state the obvious:

Download station isn't working for me either, but I don't have a first class ticket as well.You dont need a FCT for the DLS to work. You do however need to have the game registered.

mikemike
February 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks, yah, i did google them and found pguy's site, but sometimes maybe people don't update their sites, or maybe i'm under-installed on some things.

I did try disconnecting my firewall and anti-virus, by the way -- i noticed that when i dis-enabled my local network, the 'server-full' came on immediately, but when i connect it, enable it, the CM sits and meditates for a while and then tells me what's what.

mikemike
February 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Just going to state the obvious:
You dont need a FCT for the DLS to work. You do however need to have the game registered.

gosh, and this is the first time i've ever posted on the forum too... : ) == i'm registered up from the very start of trainz, for every edition except TC3.

clam1952
February 13th, 2012, 01:37 PM
It's a badly chosen generic message generated by the Trainz software that comes up when content manager can't connect for whatever reason, very rarely is the server actually full.

Helps if you are running Vista or Win7 to run Trainz as administrator, just in case that isn't helping.

Have a look in the DLS FCT forum there are probably hundreds of posts explaining what to do when getting server full messages and such like. Sometimes just clearing the settings/cache/internet folder can clear it. Or if none of the suggestions work try a helpdesk ticket.

I don't think the "Register" comment was made at you but at another poster in the thread.

korikovaVL80
February 13th, 2012, 01:39 PM
It's a badly chosen generic message generated by the Trainz software that comes up when content manager can't connect for whatever reason, very rarely is the server actually full.

Helps if you are running Vista or Win7 to run Trainz as administrator, just in case that isn't helping.

Have a look in the DLS FCT forum there are probably hundreds of posts explaining what to do when getting server full messages and such like. Sometimes just clearing the settings/cache/internet folder can clear it. Or if none of the suggestions work try a helpdesk ticket.

I don't think the "Register" comment was made at you but at another poster in the thread.

It was for me! Very funny... soon I'll have to register my clothes too. I hope :D

No seriously, just kidding... Let's help this guy/girl to get his/her download station working instead.

mikemike
February 13th, 2012, 01:46 PM
thanks for asking -- i've used the DLS probably a hundred times over the years, and there have been many times when the server was simply down, and for some reason it's not linking now for me again. empirically, when i disconnect -- cut off -- my internet access -- stopping the internet -- the message 'server full' comes on immediately. when, i re-connect to the internet, the message takes maybe twenty or thirty seconds before it comes on. that leads me to think that i am actually out in the net looking for the server, that i have connection. radically -- more than just allowing the app to access the net -- i've tried with my firewall and AV off, and i can't think of anything else the CM needs to connect. i'm connecting to everything else today, as i have everyday for several years... sometimes even to the trainz dLs.

mikemike
February 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM
It was for me! Very funny... soon I'll have to register my clothes too. I hope :D

No seriously, just kidding... Let's help this guy/girl to get his/her download station working instead.

thanks! neat would be if someone could email me a working cdp of quick portal manager v.3?

zeitbauer@aol.com

korikovaVL80
February 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM
thanks! neat would be if someone could email me a working cdp of quick portal manager v.3?

zeitbauer@aol.com

Check your mail

mikemike
February 13th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Thank you, Anna!! -- the trainz once again will run on timez.

mike

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Still can't download, either through CM or direct FTP -- 'server appears to be full', and I activated a first-class ticket yesterday afternoon and it caused CM to immediately post 'server full'. Before the first-class, it'd taken a few moments to show. Either I'm hooked into the first-class speed-stream, or I'm rejected because my FCT isn't registering with the upper-class yet? Being a parvenu is a lonely business...

I'll wait till this afternoon ( 24 Hours ) to see if they've invited me to the party.

shaneturner12
February 14th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Hi mikemike,

If it still has not activated fully, (and made sure you have activated it via the Download Tickets page on the Planet Auran system), try the following:

1.Change your password in your Planet Auran profile - Trainz must be closed when doing this.
2.Clearing out the list in the Download Helper panel in Content Manager.

Shane

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Totally done that, several times... I googled the problem... and, in fact I un-installed and re-installed the entire app last night, just to see. Also scoured my net settings and modem settings, running the app with windows firewall off and avastAV off too.

What's un-happy-making is that the FTP direct download just gives me a '503 bad login' response, even when I enter the correct password and name, checking for white-spaces and all.

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Yes, the FTP password from Planet Auran's profile.

shaneturner12
February 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM
The password you may need to change is your Planet Auran password, which will then change your FTP password.

Shane

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Oh, la-la, I've read that you can only change your Auran password once? But, that's what you're suggesting I do -- actually, not just blotting out the UN and PW in CM's settings, but actually changing it in Auran Planet?

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
OK, i took the plunge and changed my Auran password. I still can't DL from CM -- same immediate rejection, and still can't DL from FTP, but it did seem to do something about FTP -- i'm not rejected with a 503, i think... I've been waiting for 20 minutes to connect to FTP firstclass.auran, with 'connecting' happening, but no connection. which makes me hope that it's just an auran server problem?

shaneturner12
February 14th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I'm not aware of any issues, but I can have a look into what's happening.

Shane

clam1952
February 14th, 2012, 02:44 PM
It's the user name that you can only change once and only if you have a pretty good reason for doing it and you can convince N3V as it has to be done by them. Under normal constraints you cannot change the User Name. There is no restriction on how many times you can change a password. You don't actually have to change it just go to edit and input the same one and save it.

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM
thanks for this info, yes, i was only thinking of the effect of changing my planet auran password, and not the CM settings section.

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Test of site's time-grab. i'm posting this at 12:18 Pacific, and synced to online time site.

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 03:38 PM
my browser says this post -- which was immediately posted -- was posted at 12:32 PM -- anyone have a different time-stamp?

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 03:55 PM
LOL, now it's correct. but, is this a problem on my end -- but only with this site, since i just posted a test in another forum and the times matched?

shaneturner12
February 14th, 2012, 03:57 PM
The time difference issue is a known one.

Shane

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 04:11 PM
ok, so it has nothing to do with the DL's.

are you able to actually DL from FTP today? -- i can go as far as 'connecting' but the connection operation just stays there, not even wanting to talk about it. : )

shaneturner12
February 14th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Downloading is working fine for me.

Did you follow the advice I gave earlier regarding clearing out the download helper list?

If you have, try a database repair.

Shane

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 05:15 PM
come on, man, i told you i googled the problem -- for days now i've been following everyone on the web's advice on how to get this to work. the consensus is that some people get things to work some way, and other people use the same procedures and never get it to work at all. there's a history of this kind of problem going back six years.

and, yes, how many data base repairs make a repair -- the seven i've done, or seven-and-three-quarters.

i've just installed some kind of ftp app, ws ftp, and i can access firstclass auran, but all that's there are the few public files. is it that something has set my access to auran as only a 2004 access? somehow just because?

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 05:34 PM
what i do know, is that when i click to download, from DLS, as download helper process, then my 3.3. comes up, logs me in, and then craps out immediately with 'server full' etc.

clam1952
February 14th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Can you download direct from the Black pages with out using the download cart?

I know you have probably tried all this by now but just in case bare with me. If one doesn't work move on to the next.
The FTP file access is restricted now so you can't get to see all of the files.

This is a slightly more extreme method.

1. Clear internet temporary files and cookies, then reboot PC. Trainz uses cookies and temp files, could well be a stale cookie or temp file that's causing the problem.

2. Clear Trainz internet Cache. Close Trainz go to Trainz\userdata\cache\internet, delete contents. reboot, then try CM.

3. Clear Stale DNS cache.
Open Command Window, type ipconfig /flushdns > enter. again reboot PC. Stale DNS can cause login problems with sites and other odd things not happening correctly.

4. Reset password in Auran Profile.
Close Trainz, won't work if it's running, edit password and input your same password and save, reboot PC, give it a couple of minutes and then try Content Manager.

5. Reset password in Content Manager.
Again use the same password save, close content manager, reboot PC and then restart.

6. Alternative method if 5 doesn't clear it.
Remove Name and password from content manager, save, close content manager, reboot PC, Start content manager and input original username and password, Save, Close and then restart content Manager.

7. Another trick that sometimes work is to change trainz internet settings from use Internet Explorer Settings to No proxy server, save then change it back and then save again. or if you have it on No proxy then change to IE and back.

Why reboot? So any temporary stuff is hopefully deleted and not hanging around to cause the re-occurance of the same problem.

Obviously not a problem with port21 as WS FTP is working so we can rule that out (Sometimes it's blocked by default in the router and in a very few cases by the ISP).

If none of this works, try using a different DNS server, such as Google's DNS or OpenDNS, I use Open DNS as my ISP' DNS server is not very reliable.

Finally and this worked for me when my FCT packed up, copy the trainz folder to a different location and try running it from there.

I should add that I haven't needed to do any of this for two years now, other than regularly get rid of cookies and temp files. The problem isn't a not having an FCT problem as it can happen with or without one.

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks very much. I have gone through every one these processes, except changing DNS. Mid-afternoon today I was able to attempt a DL from CM without it immediately giving me a 'server busy', but it still just sits there, though now it's added a "content Unknown Error". I just deleted assets.tdx and did a full Extended Database check. Nothing changed.

For the copying the trainz folder, I actually deleted and reinstalled on a different drive, but I'll move it up the tree at your suggestion.

Thanks again.

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 09:46 PM
By the way, I can't DL direct through FTP, even with the FTP helper. All FTP helper did was allow me into the top of auran, where the undates and other public things are.

H222
February 14th, 2012, 10:13 PM
On a slightly off-topic note, today I was downloading some of Brittany's trees and I got to 3MBps - thats fast

Jamie

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 10:16 PM
i remember the dayz. any fat file would rise to that, if i remember correctly. sublime.

mikemike
February 14th, 2012, 10:20 PM
well, i just moved my entire folder over to my root drive, regedited to the new locations -- checked my modem settings, tried to DL, and that's that. so, now i guess i have to file a help ticket, which i hate to do since it's just one more thing on them. can't think of what else, and everyone's been helpful here. I've been doing personal computer configuring stuff forever, but some things you can't know how to do if you don't know what you're trying to do, and that's me.

mike

JCitron
February 14th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Mike,

Just for kicks, have you rebooted your internet router?

They sometimes act weird and block things, for lack of any technical details.

John

mikemike
February 15th, 2012, 03:16 AM
thanks, man. totally rebooted about i don't know how many times in the last week, and look in its setup too. looking on the net, at a general google of 'i can't get this ftp to download' and 'auran won't ftp me good', kinds of things, some people have this and some not. i've not used trainz for about a half year, so i haven't downloaded for awhile. i used to have no trouble with this same system. and, i can ftp into auran.com and firstclass. auran, and look at what's on top, but it won't go further. i'm hoping it's maybe that my account only shows me with an ultimate trainz or something, and that it's as simple as that. have you ever got a red-band on something you were trying to download in CM, with the message about unknown content?

shaneturner12
February 15th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Hi again mikemike,

The FTP servers are protected - to access the Trainz content, you must use the Manual Transfer method, which varies between programs.

The details to use appear when you are on the page which has the two options 'Download (FTP) and 'Download (Helper) on it.

As for the Unknown Content issue, make sure you are not trying to download TS12 content.

Shane

mikemike
February 15th, 2012, 04:31 AM
yes, that's correct. but, it's timing out before I can get into more than the top level... it won't allow me to see any of the protected folders. and, the significant thing is that it's not allowing me to connect to it -- an unknown network error. and, i suppose it's from my end, but i don't know.

and, you know that 2012 content won't show for me in the webpage, so i'm safe from that error. happy me.

shaneturner12
February 15th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Might be worth doing a network test. My PC Information Application can help with this, as it is pre-configured to do four network tests. It's on my tutorial website under Utilities > System Info Utility.

The download link is the 'click here' in 'click here to download this tool'.

Shane

mikemike
February 15th, 2012, 02:16 PM
yes, thanks, i've done some, but i ran yours and it came back successful, of course -- i can download from the top of auran, download those kroc's, but i'm not getting downloading of the actual files i want.

i am getting that cart: 'content is invalid' though. your test suite shows me having both 2010 and 2009, though i also have 2006 and 2004 on the machine too, and i'm wondering if maybe auran thinks for DL'ing that i've only got 2004? -- i do not no.

mikemike
February 16th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Totally hooked up to DLS tonight!! first class all the way. Out to get 2012 tomorrow at Fry's.

shaneturner12
February 16th, 2012, 04:03 AM
That's good - hopefully, it works for a while at least.

Shane