PDA

View Full Version : Trainz for iPad - some ideas for you to please read and consider.

TedCunn
February 11th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I'm pretty new to this whole Trainz thing and I dearly want to love it. It has so much content, especially for an iPad app, and I could easily spend hours on it. I especially like the idea of making my own layouts. The trouble is it makes such poor use of the touch screen. It has improved a little, but is still too close to being a mouse and keyboard PC game.

The main problem is the dial controller (that controls the speed of the train and the brush size in the editing mode) is far too small. On the iPad screen it's less than one centimetre across and accurately controlling the speed of your train is nearly impossible. In a 50 zone, I can either make the train go at 25 or 70, but never closer to the desired amount. How about a bigger dial or a sliding controller up the side of the screen?

My main concerns are with the editing mode.

Even with the new control schemes for the camera movement (a vast improvement over the old method) it can still be awkward and it failing to take advantage of the touch screen. Rather than seeming like a PC port, it seems more like a console port.

The solution is simple: use the multi-touch.

One finger to apply features and two to use the camera. Sliding two figures could move the camera about, twisting could rotate and pinching could zoom.

I don't think that's a huge change and it already features the multi-touch for zooming.

Next, the onscreen menus in the editing mode are also far too small. Choosing to lay tracks or add features produces a very long and very tiny list. It makes selecting specific items a tricky process and scrolling up and down the lengthy lists only adds to the feeling of awkwardness.

How about if choosing the (e.g.) track icon produces a full screen menu showing the different types of tracks (single, double, bridges, etc.) and choosing one of those opening a new full screen menu. That would make it much easier to see what you are choosing.

With the bottom part of the screen clear, how about showing your recent selections? That would make it easier to change between what you have recently selected. Certainly easier than scrolling back and forth through those long lists.

Lastly, it would really help if different types of tracks would link together automatically. I spent five minutes trying to join the ends of a single concrete track and a single brick bridge track. No matter how hard I kept trying, they were constantly just a fraction of an inch out of like. It would be a lot easier to touch one end of the old track and the next part starting automatically.

Again, I really do love Trainz, and I'm sticking with it, but I think these changes could make a huge improvement.

Sek_Hakuna
February 11th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Just for your information.............there is a specific thread for Ipad Trainz here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/forumdisplay.php?62-Trainz-iPad

I agree with the suggestions you have for Trainz Ipad. I rarely use the app because it is so tiny and clunky to use.

By the way, the bridge to track joining can be tricky. Start by running the track up to the location of the bridge. Then place the bridge where it is needed without trying to join to the track. Run more track on the other side of the bridge, again without joining to the bridge. After everything is in place select the "move" tool in the Track flyout and grab the TRACK end and join it to the bridge.

Walmart sells a "Stylus" for $13 that makes using tiny things on the Ipad much more "old guy" friendly!!!

I personally feel that Trainz on the Ipad is never going to work for building a route. It is just too small and too cumbersome. I bought it anyway just to support NEV. It is fun to watch the trains go around while I'm waiting at the Doctors office.

Randy

TedCunn
February 11th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Just for your information.............there is a specific thread for Ipad Trainz here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/forumdisplay.php?62-Trainz-iPad

Sorry, I did have a quick look (and did a search for 'iPad') but I must have missed it.

I personally feel that Trainz on the Ipad is never going to work for building a route. It is just too small and too cumbersome.

I honestly think it could. It just needs to move away from being a PC port and into something specifically designed to use the touch screen. Have a big indicator at the ends of the lines and touch that to join onto it. It's a simple solution and would make building routes so much easier. Hell, have a series of them along tracks and drag them to add bends.