PDA

View Full Version : Browser will not open links

nimec
February 7th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I've upgraded to Win 7 and using I.E.8 as my browser but it will not open any of the links in the posts e.g while I can get to the post regarding TS2010 patches it will not open the link to them, nor will it open say ShaneTurners web address [or anyone elses ] from within a post. The only way to acess the link is to copy and paste it into the browser address bar. Anyone had this problem? It must be just a setting as we dont have this problem with a laptop also using Win 7 and the same browser. Dont say use Firefox/Mozilla. I do, but prefer IE8 as I find it a better browser[ when its working properly] Any one got any ideas? Thanks

Euphod
February 8th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Use Firefox.

Just kidding, but note that I could not use the "top" button until I upgraded FF to the latest version, perhaps you need to do the same for IE.

Jananton
February 8th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I'm afraid you'll have to upgrade to IE9 then. Using that browsing in Windows 7 64bits works without any problems at all.

Greetings from cloudy Amsterdam,

Jan

shaneturner12
February 8th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Sounds like an issue with the way the browser is handling links to me, especially if the links I'm providing are failing (as I know there's nothing wrong with my site).

As suggested, it's best to have the latest version of your web browser. If it's IE, try resetting it (Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset...)

Shane

Shane

cascaderailroad
February 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM
IE8 should work perfectly OK ... I hear IE9 has bugz, and Bing Toolbar (in programs & features) should be uninstalled totally (it disables Crtl+M KB key).

nimec
February 9th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Ive actually tried IE9. iInstaled it initially after win 7 installed and strarted off with it but had the same problem. Initially thought that IE 9 was the problem so took it off and rolled it back to IE 8. Still had same problem with both of them. Even got a Tech guy out to 'fix' it but he couldnt and said it was a problem with the Forum site.
After posting my initial post for this thread I tried both IE 8 and Firefox on Wikipedia and was able to drill down through about 10 links with IE 8 and the same witrh Firefox so went back and tried the forum again, Firefox mozilla is OK but IE 8 still will not open the links and its only the forum where this happens. Maybe the tech guy is right? I had to pay him too !!
I will take off Bing as suggested and try resetting Tools etc as suggested it. Incidentally Shane, when I was having troubles trying to re install my saved 2010 you mentioned something something about dirct X9. Do I need it for 2010 with Win 7 or just when I re install 2012? Cheers

shaneturner12
February 9th, 2012, 03:45 AM
It's advisable to have the latest DirectX 9 files installed regardless of Trainz version.

Shane

nimec
February 10th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Thanks for help but none of the suggestions worked. have tried both suggestions but neither make any difference. IE 8 just will not open any link in the forums whether it be anm auran link to saya ' patches' web page or a link to a third party site. No problems though outsidse of the forums and with other websites. Only the forum. One of this things I suppose. To be a trains addict one has to be able to not only cope with relentless frustrations. but also at the same time to be philosophical about it all and say what the hell......... Cheers