PDA

View Full Version : Emergency External Forum / Chatroom

cascaderailroad
February 5th, 2012, 10:20 AM
We need an external website forum, or chatroom, where we can all go when the forums are down, so as to stay in touch.
I tried PA Trainz and TPR forum, but it seemed that no one was online, and forum posts were from months ago.

When the forums are down ... we are all absolutely cut off from one another.

No knowing each others yahoo / skype ... etc IM address, all communication between members is totally cut off when the forum is down.

Lets set up some sort of emergency backup forum / chatroom.

danny5
February 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Yes it would be nice to have a TS or skype to talk on where we can ask questons on and fine out why the fourm is down and know that it not on our end.

clam1952
February 5th, 2012, 11:33 AM
For UK users we have http://forum.british-trainz.co.uk.

gearhead2578
February 5th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hey yeah like a bomb shelter:) just kidding... Your right though I was having withdrawals when this one was down. We need someone to set up a BBS here as well.

robd
February 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
We may need this if the Martians' decide to invade!

gearhead2578
February 5th, 2012, 11:58 AM
It's not the martians anymore that worry us.... It's our President and our military we have to fear:hehe: Seriously - I'll look into what it takes to set up a BBS, I've got the time. I don't think it's outside my ability to start one, I just don't think I'd be able to hang out 24/7 and moderate.

NikkiA
February 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM
For UK users we have http://forum.british-trainz.co.uk.

Except that it's painfully slow and overly javascript intensive, so brings a browser easily to it's knees even on a high spec PC.

gearhead2578
February 5th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Looking now at some "free" Forum hosting sites. Anybody that has any knowledge, ideas, or opinions to kick in here it'd be appreciated. Keep in mind we're talking about a "backup" forum, not a replacement or a spot for trolls to run to;)
@Cascaderailroad - didn't mean to hijack your thread, just think it's a do-able idea and a good one!

shaneturner12
February 5th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I'm currently setting up a backup forum, but be aware that it is not as advanced as this one.

It's at http://shaneturner12.awardspace.co.uk/trainzforum (http://shaneturner12.awardspace.co.uk/trainzdata/forum)/

Be aware that registration is required to post anything, and I will be moderating any posts made. (My username on that forum is shaneturner12_fr)

Shane

gearhead2578
February 5th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Right on Shane:cool: I feel better with you building it anyway, I don't want to screw anything up:o

shaneturner12
February 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I've had previous experience with things like that.

I'm open to suggestions of what forums it needs to contain, and luckily my hosting provider is normally very good at keeping the site online. (It's on the same subdomain as my Tutorial/Information website)

Shane

P.S. If you do decide to register, please use the same username you use here. It makes things easier for me.

gearhead2578
February 5th, 2012, 12:49 PM
My only suggestion is some darker colors/background. This one isn't very friendly to the eyes, and worse when I'm hung over:hehe:

shaneturner12
February 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'm looking into the settings for that now.

Shane

clam1952
February 5th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Except that it's painfully slow and overly javascript intensive, so brings a browser easily to it's knees even on a high spec PC.

Sure you have the correct forum? it's a heck of a lot quicker than this one, old or new. I use it regularly along with quite a few others from here.

gearhead2578
February 5th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I just went there, it looks simple and not graphics intense - didn't see any problems and as you said, Malc, it does load quicker than this one.

Mike

cascaderailroad
February 5th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I find dark Gray to be very complimentary to Bold Black type, (such as Arial Black} and type font size of at least 2-3.

Pale pastel blue can get a bit blinding, as are light gray & white.

Orange type is really hard to read, on any color background.

My mission was not to create a replacement forum ... but instead to have an emergency backup forum/chatroom/shoutbox, where we can all converse during outages.

Please don't use Comic Sans:eek:

shaneturner12
February 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I've found and changed the setting for that, so there are two different themes available.

As mentioned above, users must register if they want to post anything on my forum.

Certain rude words have been censored out.

Shane

ianwoodmore
February 5th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Trainz Forum, unlike DLS, rarely has an outage and then for only short period. The last big one was the crash in ?2006.
N3V have just upgraded the server software and it is reasonable to expect some tuning/hiccups but once through that I doubt that the expected downtime warrants setting up BBS or alternative site.

Assuming that N3V could not use a message on the forum server (bear in mind it was weekend and N3V probably were at home and unaware of outage) , then the simplest meeting place would be N3V Facebook. All we need is confirmation that forum is down so we dont worry we have other computer or network problems.

Then you can take a break and do some chores around the house.

In any case

sparky15
February 5th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Trainsim.com has a section for Trainz already.*
A lot of fence sitters right now with RW that seem to be showing an interest in Trainz. A little more traffic there might bring someone around to give Trainz a fair go. Some screenshots and AI discussions may over take the toy train stigma they have. The few posts in the Trainz section seems to attract more users of the other sims on that site than actual Trainz users.

Dave.......

PerRock
February 5th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Looking now at some "free" Forum hosting sites. Anybody that has any knowledge, ideas, or opinions to kick in here it'd be appreciated. Keep in mind we're talking about a "backup" forum, not a replacement or a spot for trolls to run to;)
@Cascaderailroad - didn't mean to hijack your thread, just think it's a do-able idea and a good one!

www.zetaboards.com is a great free system. It's what TCR & AMTZ use. It's highly flexible, has a ton of themes & addons; and it comes with my seal of approval :).

We need an external website forum, or chatroom, where we can all go when the forums are down, so as to stay in touch.
I tried PA Trainz and TPR forum, but it seemed that no one was online, and forum posts were from months ago.

No knowing each others yahoo / skype ... etc IM address, all communication between members is totally cut off when the forum is down.

The problem is that they don't end up working as a backup. TPR was pegged as a backup around the time of the great crash. But it rarely sees any activity, even when the N3V forums are down. The only one I can think of suggesting is the USLW/JR www.TrainzForums.com as it probably see the most activity outside the N3V forums or US people.

When the N3V forums goes down, most people just find something else to do instead of browsing the forum. You'd have to get people visiting them on a regular basis first.

peter

peter

gearhead2578
February 6th, 2012, 12:24 AM
you're right peter, come to think of it I'm pretty sure I've registered at all those over the years and seldom really think of them as backups. Usually more like more tools in the tool box when putting assets together;) It still wouldn't hurt us to have one more, and Shane seems like he's pretty on top of it, so why not? I'll go register there and if things work out like I think they're going to, I'll have plenty of time to show up more places then just this one.

Mike

Electro
February 6th, 2012, 12:29 AM
NV3 putting their chat room back up what a joke :( it is not viable for them so i carnt see this happening.

Poul

danny5
February 6th, 2012, 05:53 PM
As ianwoodmore said the fourm don't go down to offten,but what would be good is to have a Team Speak server that we all can connect to and talk about trainz and mabe answer questions that are asked here,and mabe walk people thru there probems.
Ho BTW couldn't get on the site to Reg.

Enzo1
December 16th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Try this, http://saxrt.freeforums.org/portal.php

sniper297
December 16th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Well, again;

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/forumdisplay.php?113-Auran-Trainz
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewforum.php?f=268&sid=b208b3bc5edc45a1b4e0cb02886e04a3

As someone objected, those two "seem" to be mostly for MSTS and Railworst. Reason for that is we have this forum for Trainz, the other games either don't have dedicated forums or have teeny little obscure forums, so there's more action for the other two than there is for Trainz.

But as Sparky pointed out, the MSTS and Railworks crowd often look into the Trainz forums there, and we get new blood from that - if Phil Skene hadn't posted at trainsim.com so often to dispel the "toy train game" myth and illustrate the intelligence and versatility of Trainz AI traffic, I wouldn't even be here at all, I'd still be fighting the hopeless AI trains in Rail(don't!)works.

What I often do is post screenshots both here and there, along with tutorials and discussions of stuff like how easy it is to set up complicated AI interaction, and I suspect several RW users and even a few MSTS holdouts took the bait and switched over to "The Dark Side".

Big plus for an emergency meeting place is that both UKtrainsim and the Yankee Doodle trainsim websites is the format is similar, in fact trainsim.com uses the exact same Vbulletin software, only real difference is the search function actually works at the other two places. :hehe:

(http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewforum.php?f=268&sid=b208b3bc5edc45a1b4e0cb02886e04a3)

AJ_Fox
December 16th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Well it hasn't crashed yet, so let's see what happens.

Happy Holidays all :)

Cheers

AJ

VinnyBarb
December 16th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Snip....Trainz Forum, unlike DLS, rarely has an outage and then for only short period. The last big one was the crash in ?2006.
N3V have just upgraded the server software and it is reasonable to expect some tuning/hiccups but once through that I doubt that the expected downtime warrants setting up BBS or alternative site.

The point is IF and WHEN the forum server is down, it is usually a "doozzie" and takes some time, sometimes a loooong time to rectify whatever is wrong with it. Say, during the festivities the gremlin strike and the forum is down, Tony Hilliam might be in the Bahamas sailing his big yacht, Spiffy jazzing it up in Las Vegas, powr3 taking a hike in the Simpson Desert, WindWalkr standing on top of one of the Nepalese Mountains and the other techies strewn to all corners of the globe.

How long do you think it will take to get someone, anyone, to fix what needs fixing?

Murphie's law, remember?

Cheers

VinnyBarb

sniper297
December 16th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Murphy's Law states that whoever trips over the power cord on the way out, everybody blames Zec.

:p:p:'(:p:p

cascaderailroad
June 30th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Bumping my own thread, as I feel it is needed, in a case where the Forums are cut off, for what ever reason.

There are several private Forums, so please list yours here, or your Teamspeak server name , or Skype UN, or Group.

Emergency External Forum / Chatroom

I tried PA Trainz and TPR forum, but it seemed that no one was online, and forum posts were from many months ago.

VinnyBarb
June 30th, 2015, 06:52 PM
There you go, Google as always will show you:

Check for FREE FORUMS and FREE FORUM HOSTING, I tried to insert these 2 links but these would not work here, hence you can type these above into your Google.

Free forum software (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=free+forum+software&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=XSiTVfDPOIiD8gXG2riICg) <-- this link works.

VinnyBarb

dnevans8
July 1st, 2015, 08:55 AM
This has already been done about thirty months ago: https://www.kd7eir.com/forum/

There has not been much activity in the last eighteen months or so, but then if you set up an emergency backup / forum and there are no problems with the existing one I suppose this should be expected.

For those interested in the British scene there is also http://forum.british-trainz.co.uk/index.php

shaneturner12
July 1st, 2015, 09:07 AM
Agreed, as I don't seem to get much activity on my forum either (http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/forum)

Shane

cascaderailroad
July 1st, 2015, 09:23 AM
OK there are several external Forums, with no receint activity ... say the N3V Forums go down today, or tomorrow ... how are people going to find this Emergency Replacement Forum ?

oknotsen
July 1st, 2015, 09:38 AM
OK there are several external Forums, with no receint activity ... say the N3V Forums go down today, or tomorrow ... how are people going to find this Emergency Replacement Forum ?The same way as you find everything on the internet:
You enter it into Google. :o

If the forum goes down, you could also consider returning back to your daily life.
Last time I checked, the Trainz forum was not on the list of "things I need to stay alive".
Been here for a few years now (and a bit too often even) and the forum has been down only a few days. Guess what happened during those days? I did not die.

By now you probably have exchanged contact details with a bunch of people on this place. Guess what? You can contact them without the need of this place.
If you see this place going down as "an emergency", consider a different hobby or talk to a local mental expert.

cascaderailroad
July 1st, 2015, 09:50 AM
No ... If the Trainz Forum went down indefinitely ... I would be cut off from "ALL" the people on the N3V Forum ... I do not know their E-Mail address's, nor know their Skype UN ... everything with Trainz would disappear ... there would be a total cut-off from communications

clam1952
July 1st, 2015, 10:07 AM
So in that case you just go to one of the many forums that Trainz users use. A Google search provides you with the locations.

nicky9499
July 1st, 2015, 10:08 AM
No ... If the Trainz Forum went down indefinitely ... I would be cut off from "ALL" the people on the N3V Forum ... I do not know their E-Mail address's, nor know their Skype UN ... everything with Trainz would disappear ... there would be a total cut-off from communications

This is getting silly. Not that anyone really cares about being cut off from you, but even if N3V were going under you're taking about a time frame measured in years. And when they do go under, after the biggest ruckus ever in the history of this forum, everyone will have decided "ok, we're going to TPR or USLW or [insert established site]". You can create all the "emergency forums" and chatrooms you want, but until the threat of N3V shutting down gets real, you're looking at a signup rate of basically zero.

/thread

cascaderailroad
July 1st, 2015, 11:51 AM
So the Forum shuts down tomorrow ... and everyone is cut off, permanently ... then it will be too late to plan ahead ... as no one will be able to contact anyone

Fail to plan ... Plan to fail !

oknotsen
July 1st, 2015, 12:04 PM
Fail to plan ... Plan to fail !
No, than you hit Google and find a new home in seconds.

Failed to read?

Anyway,

no one will be able to contact anyoneMost people have already exchanged contact details with the hand full of people they like to keep in contact with.
So if you do not have any contact details of people on this forum, maybe Nicky is right:

Not that anyone really cares about being cut off from you

mikeaust
July 1st, 2015, 02:29 PM
Since T ane come on stream I am using the forum less and less. Just scan through quickly and check for Dave's new assets and check the Aus Screenshots. so not matter to me.
Cheers,
Mike

boc61
July 1st, 2015, 03:20 PM
I know what this is. It is a slick scheme to data mine. You just want to get our information so you can try to sell us timeshare condos in a Florida swamp.