PDA

View Full Version : Mystery object (at least to me!)

ray_whiley
January 27th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Can anyone tell me the purpose of this scenic object which is a TS2010 'built-in', please? There appears to be no description available.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9658/raywhiley201106200000.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/raywhiley201106200000.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

overkill650
January 27th, 2012, 12:05 PM
wow. just wow. :eek:

nexusdj
January 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I think it's used as a track spacing tool (could be wrong though) ?

overkill650
January 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
but what could possibly connect to all those spline points???

oknotsen
January 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Can you dig up a KUID of that thing?

cascaderailroad
January 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM
It has got to be clickable, using the "?" tool to find out what it is.

kamran
January 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM
this is used to connect multiple splines at one point i.e many roads connects at one point but question is how to use it?

jalleballe
January 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM
u just describe it man.
or track spacing betwen track and platform:) like this:

o---------o-------------track-------------o-------------o
o---------o-------------platform---------o-------------o
o---------o-------------track-------------o-------------o
0---------o-----------road----------------o-------------o

o= that spacing kuid.

much easyer to build a statoin with platform and get the right sacing betwen everything.
hope you understand my answer:) hehe

mezzoprezzo
January 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I think I understand jalleballe’s explanation. Thanks for that.

However, I’ve often wondered about other forms of this type of asset.

This example (at the bottom of each picture) is one of the wonderful FMA range. It’s FMA Bank divider 16 <kuid:52:28121>. There are many more similarly built FMA assets.

a. This is how it looks when laid down from Objects - Add object.

b. Still in Objects, hit the Add spline button and this thick cluster of spline point connection circles appear.

c. Go to the Tracks flyout and you get another cluster of spline circles, but smaller in number.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/fstrainz/1f8d6284.jpg

Now I can stretch and connect an FMA bank spline to the “bank divider”, but it’s hell to line up because it almost always snaps to one which is out of line with the bank profile. I would have thought that just one pre-aligned spline point on the “bank divider” would have been preferable thus ensuring a perfect match every time with the bank spline asset.

After selecting a track I can connect them on to, and across, the “bank divider” using the other provided spline connection points but I fail to see the reason for having them. With something like a turntable (roundhouse) asset I can understand the need for a multiple choice of connection points in order to replicate a prototypical set up, but not on a bank and/or trackbed. I’ve tried cascaderailroad’s suggestion using the ? button. I’ve also tried looking at the config.txt file. No hints in either location.

Knowing the quality of the FMA stuff there has to be a good reason for the way these have been built. I’d love to know the answer. I can’t help feeling that there is some creative potential which we might be missing out on here!

Casper
:confused:

mtldrm38
January 27th, 2012, 11:42 PM
apparently with the FMA splines I found in 2010 are high alpha and that spline tool conflicting as well may ask what rules are you using as well as I found have crazy results .............

ray_whiley
January 29th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Can you dig up a KUID of that thing?

I'll try when I have time. I came across it whilst browsing through the built-in routes just to see what was there, and was intrigued so took a screenshot. As far as I can remember, it was a German route. But I'll have a look later and post the KUID if I can find it again.

Ray

oknotsen
January 29th, 2012, 06:32 AM
I'll try when I have time.Dont waste your time on it :). It would have been interesting before others already knew what it was. If it was still unknown, digging into the item would have been easyer with the kuid at hand, but now you already know :).

Have a nice day.

ray_whiley
January 29th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Dont waste your time on it :). It would have been interesting before others already knew what it was. If it was still unknown, digging into the item would have been easyer with the kuid at hand, but now you already know :).

Too late! I'd already looked for it. It is KUID 121616:110328:1, named 'SD.2.1. DPT BSK 5 ng 8m' and there are a lot more in the series! The description is 'Dockingplate BSK 8m Bahnsteigkante 5 1 gleisig, 5m GMA, 3% bidirektional neigbar'. (Just for the record!) My Langenscheidt German dictionary is no help so I think some of the terms must be very technical. The closest I can get to anything is 'Bahnsteigkarte' which is a platform ticket! This would open up a whole new concept for Trainz - making non-travellers buy a platform ticket ...

(Incidentally, are such things still available in the UK? I well remember the machines which would issue one for an old penny. But I suppose in these days of more open access there's no longer any need. And they would probably cost one new pound anyway.)

Ray

Telemendas
February 5th, 2012, 06:13 AM
I think I understand jalleballe’s explanation. Thanks for that.

However, I’ve often wondered about other forms of this type of asset.

This example (at the bottom of each picture) is one of the wonderful FMA range. It’s FMA Bank divider 16 <kuid:52:28121>. There are many more similarly built FMA assets.

a. This is how it looks when laid down from Objects - Add object.

b. Still in Objects, hit the Add spline button and this thick cluster of spline point connection circles appear.

c. Go to the Tracks flyout and you get another cluster of spline circles, but smaller in number.

[picture]

Now I can stretch and connect an FMA bank spline to the “bank divider”, but it’s hell to line up because it almost always snaps to one which is out of line with the bank profile. I would have thought that just one pre-aligned spline point on the “bank divider” would have been preferable thus ensuring a perfect match every time with the bank spline asset.

After selecting a track I can connect them on to, and across, the “bank divider” using the other provided spline connection points but I fail to see the reason for having them. With something like a turntable (roundhouse) asset I can understand the need for a multiple choice of connection points in order to replicate a prototypical set up, but not on a bank and/or trackbed. I’ve tried cascaderailroad’s suggestion using the ? button. I’ve also tried looking at the config.txt file. No hints in either location.

Knowing the quality of the FMA stuff there has to be a good reason for the way these have been built. I’d love to know the answer. I can’t help feeling that there is some creative potential which we might be missing out on here!

Casper
:confused:

Sorry to somewhat hijack this discussion...

I would also be very interested if somebody could hint us on the best way to use these superb assets from FMA.

I use items like the bank divider quite often it is always an hellish task to align items to them as the attachments points are so close from each other that you end up most of the time with out of alignment spline ... Which is a shame considering that the item texture provide an excellent alignment tool with the central stripe...

A very big thank to anybody who could help on that...

Marc

vendel
February 6th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Hi Folks, probably I can help you on that. :eek:

I suggest you to ignore these objects. Simply disable and do not use them in the future. They are absolutely unwanted and silly and not working in the daily practice. In the beginning I tried to make some 'clever' objects for comfortable building of elevated railstracks, but the result is unhelpful and uneasy.
Please forget them. ;)

cheers
v.

ray_whiley
February 6th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I suggest you to ignore these objects.

Will do.

Ray

mezzoprezzo
February 10th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hi Folks, probably I can help you on that. :eek:

I suggest you to ignore these objects. Simply disable and do not use them in the future. They are absolutely unwanted and silly and not working in the daily practice. In the beginning I tried to make some 'clever' objects for comfortable building of elevated railstracks, but the result is unhelpful and uneasy.
Please forget them. ;)

cheers
v.

Hi Vendie!

There clearly is nothing more to discover about how these asset connection points should work. Mystery solved!

I will ignore the circles, but will certainly not "forget" the assets.

They are all very useable. The texturing is great and they will continue to feature very heavily on all of my routes. They blend in perfectly with my landscapes.

Thanks again for all of your wonderful contributions and those from all of the great asset creators.

Cheers
Casper
;)

Telemendas
February 12th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info Vendel.
These pieces might be unpractical to assemble but they look very nice and offer a perfect termination for viaduct or brige. They also an excellent anchor point, allowing to 'hold the spline in place'.

Cheers
Marc