January 19th, 2012, 02:38 PM
When I ran TS12 today I found this.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/whitepass/news.jpg

clam1952
January 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Likewise just seen it.

cascaderailroad
January 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I seem to remember the old forum color being Red ?

I hope this color scheme is not Puce with (orange type on a white background -like TPR) (it's very hard to read uncomplementary colors).

RRSignal
January 19th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Guys, wow, don't fix what ain't broke...

Actually, if anything is broke, it's the dodgy hosting service used by these forums and the DLS.

Dinorius_Redundicus
January 19th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Yes the TPR colors are terrible, I hope they don't make that mistake. Let's be optimistic and hope for some good changes such as a better search engine, more reliable servers etc.

shaneturner12
January 19th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm hoping that this does not mean a total loss of forum information.

I have at least one important thread on here, that I do not really want to lose. (Luckily, I have a more basic version of it on my tutorial website)

Shane

Retro00064
January 19th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Does this mean we will be saying goodbye to the nice TS2009/TS2010/TS12 bluish color scheme these forums currently have?

ZecMurphy
January 19th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Hi All
This is mainly upgrading the forum software (there are parts that do have issues, which we would prefer to fix), since the version we are running is relatively old.

As to the servers, we've really only been seeing issues over the last 2-3 weeks. We have been working on these issues, however it is in part due to the load on the servers. January tends to be one of the busiest times of the year for our servers, and can sometimes go offline if too many people are using them. This is generally more likely with the DLS on weekends, rather than the forums, however the forums can see large numbers of connections when there are DLS issues as well...

oknotsen
January 19th, 2012, 05:56 PM
a better search engine
Yes please, pretty please with sugar on top.

Euphod
January 19th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I agree with better search features for the forum, but otherwise I'm fairly content with what we have now.*

*not that I use the forums much....

johnwhelan
January 19th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I agree with better search features for the forum, but otherwise I'm fairly content with what we have now.*

And there was me thinking that Eupod was about to hit some magic number on the post count which would crash the forums so they had to change and reset every one to 0 again.

Cheerio John

SuperFudd
January 19th, 2012, 07:39 PM
It would also be nice if I didn't have to log in twice to log in, even though my log in is acknowledged after the first try. Also it would be nice if the "New Posts" feature worked more often than rarely.

Retro00064
January 19th, 2012, 07:48 PM
<snip>

Oh, yeah, sure, Ed. :hehe:

leeferr
January 19th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I have never had an issue with the forums. Everything works just fine for me and always has. I'd also like to see a better search feature though. I don't even use it very much because it's pretty much worthless. But please, please don't go back to that awful color scheme that we had in the TC days. I think the blue screen works pretty well although green tones might be more soothing and put people in a more helpful and agreeable mood. Variations of red are aggressive colors and don't tend to aid in a cohesive atmosphere.

Mike

RRSignal
January 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Hi All
This is mainly upgrading the forum software (there are parts that do have issues, which we would prefer to fix), since the version we are running is relatively old.

As to the servers, we've really only been seeing issues over the last 2-3 weeks. We have been working on these issues, however it is in part due to the load on the servers. January tends to be one of the busiest times of the year for our servers, and can sometimes go offline if too many people are using them. This is generally more likely with the DLS on weekends, rather than the forums, however the forums can see large numbers of connections when there are DLS issues as well...

Ok, I can understand that - another vB forum in which I participate gets hacked/pwned every now and then due to running ancient versions of vB. But I caution against rebranding these boards with, for instance, a new color scheme.

CRO
January 19th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I have to agree with Superfudd. I get cheesed off when I log in and click on 'New Posts' and I'm told there aren't any, when there are probably 150 or more.
A friendlier search engine would be nice, but having learnt the vagaries of the current one, it's not such a biggy. As for colours....see by by-line.

Cheers

Bob (CRO)

Euphod
January 19th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I think the blue screen works pretty well although green tones might be more soothing and put people in a more helpful and agreeable mood. Variations of red are aggressive colors and don't tend to aid in a cohesive atmosphere.

Mike

That's a good point Mike, and from my limited experience with the forums I feel that there is less aggression now evident now than in the TC days. Of course, that could be related more to TC than to the color of the forums! Besides, doesn't everything have to be "green" these days?:o

mezzoprezzo
January 19th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Could this mean the end of Fooly as the longest standing “newest member” who is still languishing in the stats box! He's spent more than 5 months in there so far.

With regard to the search function, I don’t use it at all now. Googling Auran forum plus one or more key words usually turns up what is required very quickly.

RRSignal
January 19th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Could this mean the end of Fooly as the longest standing “newest member” who is still languishing in the stats box! He's spent more than 5 months in there so far.

With regard to the search function, I don’t use it at all now. Googling Auran forum plus one or more key words usually turns up what is required very quickly.

vB's search feature is notoriously bad. The existing one is actually half-decent but many of the newer versions' search is partially or entirely non-functional.

RRSignal
January 19th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I STRONGLY recommend, as an anti-spam feature, that you disable new users from posting links in their sig; perhaps not at all. I can ask another vB admin I know if you require a specific plugin or script.

Gandalf0444
January 19th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Ok, I can understand that - another vB forum in which I participate gets hacked/pwned every now and then due to running ancient versions of vB. But I caution against rebranding these boards with, for instance, a new color scheme.
Or would it not be easier to just have different skins that the user could choose which they want to use? Such as if I wanted to use the TC look I could have instead of being forced to use this blue 09/10/12 theme? Of course that is assuming vB supports this.

RRSignal
January 19th, 2012, 09:03 PM
It does, but there is always a default theme. Changing the blue would effectively change the branding, which is exactly what most businesses don't want to do, as most companies spend years and lots of money building a specific brand.

Gandalf0444
January 19th, 2012, 09:10 PM
It does, but there is always a default theme. Changing the blue would effectively change the branding, which is exactly what most businesses don't want to do, as most companies spend years and lots of money building a specific brand.
Agreed but what is so hard with making it easily accessible for people who have a harder time seeing certain colors? For example I absolutely hate this color combination since it hurts my eyes looking at it. While the older TC scheme was MUCH easier on my eyes.

Retro00064
January 19th, 2012, 09:24 PM

<snip>

We can only hope so. That problem getting fixed and fixed properly is long overdue.

Dinorius_Redundicus
January 19th, 2012, 09:35 PM
An English spell-checker would be nice too, with US and British options allowed. Do modern versions of vB have such a feature?

clam1952
January 19th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Most browsers have a spell check, either as standard or as an add-on. You can have both US and UK with Firefox which will find the errors as you are typing.

Stationbeem
January 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM

Just noticed "Fooly" has gone.

shaneturner12
January 20th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I've just checked Fooly's profile, it appears that N3V have corrected his user ID so it appears correctly.

Shane

mezzoprezzo
January 20th, 2012, 10:55 AM
@Stationbeem
@shaneturner12

Well spotted both! I hadn't noticed until I read your posts.

Bang goes the idea of converting that box into some kind of sin bin where, perhaps, those who have been banned could be displayed together with details of their “sentence”.:D

Joking aside, it is good to once more be able to see the new members' names appearing into the Community after such a long time.

Euphod
January 20th, 2012, 11:01 AM
And here I figured Fooly had bought the very last copy! Alas, poor Fooly, I knew him...not at all!:(

oknotsen
January 20th, 2012, 12:11 PM
With regard to the search function, I don’t use it at all now. Googling Auran forum plus one or more key words usually turns up what is required very quickly.I somehow doubt google covers the private forums, which are basicly all the language and version related forums (IIRC.. been a while since I wasnt logged on).
And even if it does, the majority of the people that actually use search on the forum will us the search function on the forum.

It would be absolutely great if search would work with adding multiple keywords and then instead of piling all the topics that has one of them, only show those that have all of the keywords.

The rest of the forum is technically perfect, or at least good enough for that what it is expected to do.

I would however suggest to switch some of the forums around if it comes to order. Having the version related forums at the top, right under announcements, would save a lot of wrong placed topics in "General Trainz". Half the people is to lazy or hasted to actually look for a beter suited forum after they seen "general".
In other words: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/icons/icon2.gif Putting "Mainline" (with the exception of "announcements") as the last category would up the number of topics in the right place.