PDA

View Full Version : nv3 computers

patchy
January 14th, 2012, 07:27 AM
g'day all,
when nv3 are creating a new version of trainz what computer specs are they using
the only reason i ask is my computer is is dying,so i upgraded to a machine that bulldozers through any graphics problem i had on my old machine
it did cost me a 1500 hundred clams
but it like comparing apples with oranges
and i'm as a happy as a pig in@%*$
what i worry about is the newbies have problems with the minium specs computers
i just thought putting this here to see what feedback i get

cheers,
patchy

WindWalkr
January 14th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I assume you mean N3V? :)

We have a whole range of computers. We don't upgrade everybody at the same time, or to a single platform. We're currently mid-way through migrating from Core2 Duo class machines to the Core i series (i3, i5, i7.)

TS12 was developed on Core2 Duos, for the most part. They had GeForce 7-8 series cards, or the equivalent ATI (AMD) cards.

chris

patchy
January 14th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I assume you mean N3V? :)

We have a whole range of computers. We don't upgrade everybody at the same time, or to a single platform. We're currently mid-way through migrating from Core2 Duo class machines to the Core i series (i3, i5, i7.)

TS12 was developed on Core2 Duos, for the most part. They had GeForce 7-8 series cards, or the equivalent ATI (AMD) cards.

chris
typo

cheers,
patchy

fran1
January 14th, 2012, 07:54 AM
A minimum spec comp will run a bare route, no more. After that it will wallow in the hollow with you.:wave:
A recommended spec comp will run a medium easy route and then it's with you in the (*%^.
In my view N3V should say not for laptops except a high spec gaming one.
Until recently I had a E8500 intel core duo running at 3.16 ghz,1333 FSB that was running up to 75%, nearly red lining it. Close to max, very.
That shows how good a cpu you need to run trainz comfortably.
Now have a quad extreme @3 ghz, I'm running a route now (2-3 hours) that would have by now brought the FPS in to low teens-single figures.
I'm still in the mid 30's-mid 40's and rock steady.
You do realise you've opened another can of worms here regarding who's got what.

patchy
January 14th, 2012, 08:19 AM
hi fran,
i do realise that the can of worms are now open
but i think this will be helpful feedback
at the moment i'm running mojave sub on my new computer
and it has'nt missed a beat
old computer kept getting stuck and it could'nt get over 8 frs and this is a built in route
this why i ask what computers they are using to test the next version

cheers,
patchy

cascaderailroad
January 14th, 2012, 08:32 AM
With out at least a 1GB dedicated video card, and with integrated graphics, Trainz will have poor framerates.

There are Laptops with 2Gb dedicated video card, for @ $1000 USD, and desktops for @ $800 USD.

RAM means virtually nothing when bying a PC. You can have an 8Gb RAM machine ... but if the CPU processor is 1.73Ghz, and has Integrated graphics, or a 512Mb video card ... Trainz will run poorly.

Bottom of the line PC's for $400 are lucky to run Trainz at all ... although a cheepo PC will create routes fantasticly ... but running on them will be choppy framerates.

RRSignal
January 14th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Configuration is a huge part of it. I run a dual-core E6700 3.2GHz w/ 4Gb and a GT240 and I get at or near 60fps on all but the worst routes - mainly Avery-Drexel in parts. Mojave wasn't bad either, the few times I tried it. Probably the worst offender is my other MainStreet route, since it's got so much packed into such a small area. The thing is, I run it offline except to connect to the DLS; no anti-virus, no firewall. I use my old E2200-based machine for all my internet needs. Here's my exact config:

Main gaming partition, XP-64:
No firewall, no anti-virus, no security software of any kind, NIC driver disabled

XP-32 partition:
No anti-virus, lightweight firewall Kerio 2.1.5, network connection usually disabled in startup using commandline ipconfig /release. When needed to connect I have a shortcut, ipconfig /renew All DLS access done via this partition

Keep in mind mine is an excessively-tweaked configuration. You probably can do almost as well just to not have anti-virus and your networking disabled except on an as-needed basis. Having a fairly clean boot partition is also a plus.