PDA

View Full Version : Its Raildriver time! - Or is it? Questions?

Davie_UCF
January 13th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Surely a good investment. I've been using Trainz since 2001 and now enjoy Railworks also. Amazon has the unit at 150ish which I figure is good after seeing lots for 200+.

I recall seeing threads about not being able to drive steam locomotives with the unit. Is this still the case?

How is it for someone who mostly drives UK locomotives?

Cheers
David

Thad09
January 13th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Well, can't drive steamers with it:'( I wish that they made a part that attaches to the controler that would alow one to do so. As for UK engines, I tried it once. I can't quite remember how that went, yet it worked. Hope this helps.

ZecMurphy
January 13th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Hi Davie
Unfortunately, the RailDriver has not yet been updated to work with the new steam physics system in TC3+.

This is an area that RailDriver needs to fix their drivers for, and unfortunately this has not yet happened.

It will work with any diesel locomotive or electric locomotive in TC3+ :)

Zec

Davie_UCF
January 13th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Hi Davie
Unfortunately, the RailDriver has not yet been updated to work with the new steam physics system in TC3+.

This is an area that RailDriver needs to fix their drivers for, and unfortunately this has not yet happened.

It will work with any diesel locomotive or electric locomotive in TC3+ :)

Zec

Not any steam loco? I read some work, but I mostly use the S&C locos.

Could you guys give Raildriver a nudge. I'm going to buy one anyway as it will be updated.
I don't suppose me emailing their support would quicken them as well? :P

David

cascaderailroad
January 13th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Raildriver is a rather cool looking tool ... and somewhat resembles the newest computer console prototype locomotives of today.

It does not look or work like the old lever control stands in steam locos, nor the lever handles in older F7's, SW, SD & GP loco's of yesteryear.

The keyboard commands in Trainz are:

DCC: S W X H B ... etc ...

CAB: S F Q A Z W X V D C E H B... etc ...

I love KB commands in CAB mode ... and I have gotten the hang of switching move coupling, and breaking 13,000 ton trains.

I could help tutor you on using KB commands.

Davie_UCF
January 13th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Raildriver is a rather cool looking tool ... and somewhat resembles the newest computer console prototype locomotives of today.

It does not look or work like the old lever control stands in steam locos, nor the lever handles in older F7's, SW, SD & GP loco's of yesteryear.

The keyboard commands in Trainz are:

DCC: S W X H B ... etc ...

CAB: S F Q A Z W X V D C E H B... etc ...

I love KB commands in CAB mode ... and I have gotten the hang of switching move coupling, and breaking 13,000 ton trains.

I could help tutor you on using KB commands.

I do use the keyboard, nothing else. Just rail driver seemed next step!

hminky
January 13th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Once you use Raildriver, "trainsims" are never the same, makes driving so much more enjoyable.

Too bad all steam locos don't work in Trainz.

Harold

Davie_UCF
January 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Once you use Raildriver, "trainsims" are never the same, makes driving so much more enjoyable.

Too bad all steam locos don't work in Trainz.

Harold

I have a lot of lovely locos being from the UK i'm blessed. Sad they won't work with the raildriver though.

sniper297
January 13th, 2012, 06:17 PM
It's possible to drive steamers with Raildriver, one engine spec I found that works;

C-41 Engine,<kuid:43955:51009>

Built in, build 1.5, but if you clone it the clone develops the same problems as the rest not responding to the reverser or throttle inputs. Other item is most steam cabs don't have speedometers, for the LED speed display on the Raildriver console to show anything other than 000 the cabview has to have a working speedometer. This is all in CAB mode BTW, in DCC mode the reverser becomes the throttle and brakes since Raildriver is essentially a keyboard emulator. Worth the dough? I bought two, one for me and one for my youngest son, in April of 2003, used and abused daily in three different train simulators, both still work fine.

Davie_UCF
January 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM
It's possible to drive steamers with Raildriver, one engine spec I found that works;

C-41 Engine,<kuid:43955:51009>

Built in, build 1.5, but if you clone it the clone develops the same problems as the rest not responding to the reverser or throttle inputs. Other item is most steam cabs don't have speedometers, for the LED speed display on the Raildriver console to show anything other than 000 the cabview has to have a working speedometer. This is all in CAB mode BTW, in DCC mode the reverser becomes the throttle and brakes since Raildriver is essentially a keyboard emulator. Worth the dough? I bought two, one for me and one for my youngest son, in April of 2003, used and abused daily in three different train simulators, both still work fine.

I like the idea of the feeling of response from it, you can see where the levers are. Im sure you know what I mean as you own two!

Do you have any idea why steam specs don't like the Raildriver (or the other way around).. and why that one spec works?

sniper297
January 13th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Nope, never could figure it out, altho a fix was promised long ago it hasn't happened yet;

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=60086

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?296517-What-s-new

Christmas rush and post season support, along with that screenshot simulator (which thinks it's a train simulator) screwing up the Raildriver response with their "new technology" last September (last I heard nothing is working right in that) is probably keeping them busy, but I'll start haranguing them next month. Meantime I just change the config for whatever steamer I want to drive to use that C-41 engine spec, if the physics are off at least the Raildriver works, gotta have my Raildriver.

"I like the idea of the feeling of response from it, you can see where the levers are"

After the first couple weeks you don't even need to take your eyes off the screen, like the HOTAS for fighter planes you can find everything by feel. I customized mine with a razor saw, 1/4-20 machinists die to cut threads, and a couple of file handles from the hardware store so it feels more like a first generation diesel road switcher controller;

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3695/68486118.jpg

Need virtual reality goggles with head tracking and surround sound and I'll be all set. :cool:

Davie_UCF
January 14th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Nope, never could figure it out, altho a fix was promised long ago it hasn't happened yet;

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=60086

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?296517-What-s-new

Christmas rush and post season support, along with that screenshot simulator (which thinks it's a train simulator) screwing up the Raildriver response with their "new technology" last September (last I heard nothing is working right in that) is probably keeping them busy, but I'll start haranguing them next month. Meantime I just change the config for whatever steamer I want to drive to use that C-41 engine spec, if the physics are off at least the Raildriver works, gotta have my Raildriver.

"I like the idea of the feeling of response from it, you can see where the levers are"

After the first couple weeks you don't even need to take your eyes off the screen, like the HOTAS for fighter planes you can find everything by feel. I customized mine with a razor saw, 1/4-20 machinists die to cut threads, and a couple of file handles from the hardware store so it feels more like a first generation diesel road switcher controller;

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3695/68486118.jpg

Need virtual reality goggles with head tracking and surround sound and I'll be all set. :cool:

What i'd love is a giant regulator handle made of metal that comes with a cloth for you to hold it with.. mmM

IN OTHER NEWS.

I just got a Raildriver. Set up, not used yet. I've noticed however the dynamic brake lever is extremely squeaky, is this just because its new?
Edit: and next thing you know its not squeaky!

sniper297
January 14th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Either that or wear welder's gloves, same feel. :cool: For steam anything that uses the C-41 engine spec, diesel and electric all the ones I've tried work fine. http://raildriver.com/download/td/rdts2009.exe works for 2009, 2010, and 12.

Davie_UCF
January 14th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I'm having a great time, makes driving so much easier in a way!

Is the C-41 a TC3 loco or is it before ? I'd love to know why it works and others don't.. Maybe some studying of files is to be done.

sniper297
January 14th, 2012, 02:28 PM
The original was for one of the early versions and has a zillion errors, but download any of my 2.9 versions;

chimet C-41 #1512,<kuid:522774:100082>
chimet C-41 #1523,<kuid:522774:100195>
PON C-41 #1305,<kuid:522774:1064>
PON C-41 #1315,<kuid:522774:1034>
PON C-41 #1326,<kuid:522774:1017>
PON C-41 #1389,<kuid:522774:100369>

Those all work in TS2009 SP4 and later with no errors. Feel free to clone and reskin, no restrictions. One of my back burner projects is a Mountain with the C-41 spec and lighted cabview, haven't gotten around to finishing that yet. Again the physics are okay but probably not very accurate, but no way to hack the physics without disabling the reverser and throttle, still don't know why.

Davie_UCF
January 14th, 2012, 02:56 PM
The original was for one of the early versions and has a zillion errors, but download any of my 2.9 versions;

chimet C-41 #1512,<kuid:522774:100082>
chimet C-41 #1523,<kuid:522774:100195>
PON C-41 #1305,<kuid:522774:1064>
PON C-41 #1315,<kuid:522774:1034>
PON C-41 #1326,<kuid:522774:1017>
PON C-41 #1389,<kuid:522774:100369>

Those all work in TS2009 SP4 and later with no errors. Feel free to clone and reskin, no restrictions. One of my back burner projects is a Mountain with the C-41 spec and lighted cabview, haven't gotten around to finishing that yet. Again the physics are okay but probably not very accurate, but no way to hack the physics without disabling the reverser and throttle, still don't know why.

I'm just so curious why it works with the Raildriver and if I can modifiy any other specs to make them work.. I'll deff download it. Thanks!

hminky
January 14th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I'm just so curious why it works with the Raildriver and if I can modifiy any other specs to make them work.. I'll deff download it. Thanks!
I put the C-41 EngineSpec in an elvenor narrow gauge D&RG 2-6-0 in TS12 and the locomotive works with Raildriver. No sound but there is control.

Hasn't worked with anything else. There is usually no steam pressure.

Harold