PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

Sean_lee
December 26th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Hi Everyone, Well the bridge will be crossed a new computer will be built this week. Ill spare you the gory details unless you ask.
1.how do i copy over my2010 route to the new machine.
2.new install of 2010 and then put my trainz on a cdp and import<will go to an portable hard drive first as i intend using the 650w I have in the old machine in the new computer.>
3.Just copy everything to the portable and copy to the new. have lots of custom content.
4.currently on XP but new will be windows 7 any issues here to be aware of.
5.anything have i missed seem to remember with a reinstall on an old route, something about assets bku and something else which i cant remember.
Any help most appreciated.:):):)

RRSignal
December 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
You *can* just make a copy of your existing installation and move it to your new computer. No need to make CDPs of anything. Some people prefer to install the program from their original discs, patch, then just copy the old installation over the new so that file associations and registry entries are made, but it's up to you. The general advice is, if you do install the game, do so running as administrator.

shaneturner12
December 26th, 2011, 04:09 PM
The one thing I will mention is that you will need to re-update your DirectX files, and run the program as administrator (see my tutorial website for most of the information you will need)

Shane

Euphod
December 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hi Everyone, Well the bridge will be crossed a new computer will be built this week. Ill spare you the gory details unless you ask.

I'm asking! I'm going to build a new one in a couple months, and I'm interested to see what choices others are making.:)

jbanetman
December 26th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Euphod, since you are asking for CPU advice, my I7 3930K(really too expensive at 600.00 CPU), (but I had gotten a back-due check, so went for it), is giving me around 150 FPS in surveyor with a GTX 570, and around 35-45 FPS at 1920X1080 with the appalachian coal route in Trainz 2012. Large yards don't stutter now as I approach the yards. I'm very happy with it, but I would recommend the I7-2500K, 2600K or 2700K, as great choices too.

seeseeme
December 26th, 2011, 07:33 PM
@ jbanetman

I really love your signature comment.

Proudly running Trainz with the cat enjoying the excess heat exhaust.Craig
:):):)

William0d0
December 26th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Euphod, for CPU I recommend an i5-2500K. It's an unlocked processor (meaning overclocking friendly), I'm running mine at a very stable 4.5ghz. It's only 20 dollars over the locked version.

It's a quad core and I know Trainz seems to use only 2 cores but that leaves 2 cores for background wintendo tasks to do their thing.

A GTX560 is what I really like video card wise.

Also, a good hard drive boost can be had if your motherboard supports RAID. I'm running a pair of 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar Drives RAID0. RAID0 is the next best thing to SSD. Only downside of RAID0 is if 1 drive fails everything on both drives is lost.

Sean_lee
December 27th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Gory details revealed
1.western digital one tb
2.Gigabyte ga z68x ud3 motherboard
3.4gb ddr3
4.intel core i5 2230
5.gtx 460 graphics
thats about 450 aussie dollars worth.
any other suggestions appreciated.

Euphod
December 27th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the gore!
You'll like the 460, I have one now and it's a treat! I'm just waiting now to see if I get any tax money back this year before I make the hard decisions.

KenGreen
December 27th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Last week I transferred all of my Trainz files to my new Laptop I simply copied the entire Auran directory containing TRS2004 to TS2010 to an external hard drive (it took all day) and then merely copied the files to the second drive on the new computer. My intention was to install the files and copy the local files over but everything seems to work okay without the installation. The only thing that was missing was the CDP icon. This has now been remedied as I have just installed TS12. I have set CM3.5 not to automatically commit as I seem to have a habit of double clicking CDP files instead of just dragging them.
I have seen many posts on the question of installing to a new computer but cannot see the disadvantages of just copying as I have done but would welcome comments. If I did reinstall and copy the files which folders and files etc need to be copied to the new install.
On the question of processors my new Laptop has an i7 2760qm and a GTX 560m graphics card and testing TS12 on the Hull Executive session I only managed 17-20 FPS and it occasional stutters this is probably as I do not have a SSD. The message here is simple unless you intend to spend a fortune on a desktop PC trying to keep up with Trainz seems impossible. I must admit though that 16FPS is quite acceptable.