PDA

View Full Version : Very long EDR

Mick_Berg
December 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hi.
For the first time ever, I think, my TS2010 has decided to do an EDR (at least I think that's what it is, Content Manager locked up, "please wait" on the screen and lots of CPU activity). It's been going for over 10 hours now.:eek:

Can it take this long, or is something wrong and should I stop it? (end TADDaemon task in Task Manager)???

A bit more info, eg "An EDR is in progress" and a progress meter would be a bit less scary.

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

robd
December 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM
10 hours seems excessive. You must have a massive Ts2010 local folder or you have a slow CPU.

An EDR takes approx 1.5 hrs for me with a local file getting on for 35gb and an i5-760 processor o/c to 4ghz.

If you stop it will start from the beginning again

Sorry, not much help but that's as far as my knowledge extends about such things.

kamran
December 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM
edr is usually a long process but 10 hours is abnormal

shaneturner12
December 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Check if your antivirus/antispyware software is interfering with the process.

Some antivirus programs check every single file both on open and close, and this increases the time taken.

Shane

Mick_Berg
December 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks y'all.
My local folder is not big at all, 2 gigs. User Data folder is 5 gigs. About 185,000 items total in the database.
I will turn off the virus checker (I knew that...........:o) trouble is, it is AVG, and turns itself back on after 15 minutes!
Mick .

shaneturner12
December 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM
That can be extended by repeating the process.

(Or you can temporarily disable Resident Shield and Identity Protection)

Shane

Kon1786
December 6th, 2011, 02:26 PM
mying takes about 2-3hr ill run it right before i go to bed..

Mick_Berg
December 6th, 2011, 04:50 PM
It shows no sign of stopping. Now it's over 15 hours. What risks do I run by ending it in Task Manager?

Thanks,
Mick.

shaneturner12
December 6th, 2011, 04:54 PM
If I remember correctly, TS2009 and later have a cancel button on screens where EDRs are taking place. Might be worth seeing if that works.

I would not recommend using Task Manager until you've tried that, as ending it in Task Manager may cause it to do another EDR when you next launch it.

Shane

Mick_Berg
December 6th, 2011, 05:07 PM
No sign of a cancel button. I think I'm going to stop it. I think it's going round in circles and isn't doing an EDR at all.

BTW Shane, I was getting a bit embarrassed about having made nearly 2,000 posts. Then I saw that you are close to 6,000!;)

Mick.

shaneturner12
December 6th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I'm usually quite a busy poster myself - just like Euphod or a few of the other veterans.