PDA

View Full Version : AI Speed Issues?

Inn
November 19th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Using 2010, with the updated Patch.. So, my major issue is that the AI speed isn't constant.. I want it to be running at 70MPH but it ends up going like 24-25 on CLEAR signals...

I'm using Jointed Rail Smart Signals.. maybe thats the issue? What What? Help Please!

danny5
November 19th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Not sure what the problem is but take a close look at the track where the train slows down and see if there a small speed sign that he passed and you have over looked do this in surveyor and in drive. Surveyor may show some invisible speed signs where you won't see in driver.

airtime
November 20th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Hello Mr Inn,

Either you have placed the wrong type of speed signs on your route, or your signals are not placed close enough for the AI to understand them, or you have a break in the track.

If you have placed the killometer per hour (kph) sign and not the miles per hour (mph) sign, then you might get a different speed to what is shown on the speed board, have a look for UK Speed signs, there are some with left hand and right hand placing, placing a UK 70 MPH speed sign, should then set your AI train to do 68 - 70MPH. You can use the replace tool, if you have too many speed signs on a huge route.

If you have already done the above, and you still get a train that crawls, then it is either because it is not well signalled, placing signals about a board in length apart, usually corrects this, or there is breakages along the route that the AI knows about, but doesn't know where.

Placing signals along the track, will eventually tell you where the breaks are, if you see a red signal on a clear stretch of line, followed by a green, then the break is between the red signal and the green signal.

Hope the above helps and please let us know how you get on.

Joe Airtime

npr284
November 20th, 2011, 08:59 AM
From using TRS2004 have discovered that the direction the track is laid can slow trains down for no apparent reason.

Ex. If you want your trains to run on a track from say, north to south, then you MUST lay the track starting in the north and head south with it. Also, each section you lay must be in the same direction as the others. IF you have so much as ONE small section that you mistakenly laid from south to north, then you have a potential speed reduction problem in the making.

AFTER you lay all your north/south track, you should test it for correctness. This is easiest by placing a signal on each section you laid. The signals will ALL face the same direction. In other words, if the signal you place is on the right side of the track, then all other signals you place on the other sections should be on the right side also. What I do is lay the track, then save what I did. Exit out of Trainz and start up again. Then place your "test" signals to make sure each section is laid in the same direction. Then exit out without saving. Now you know your track is laid correctly!

I have a large layout that had many speed issues. Checking/fixing ALL of it was a real pain, but now AI drivers run just fine. I do have ONE lingering exception thou. I have a tractor trailer running on invisible track and it runs ONLY at half speed from what the speed sign says. I wanted it to run at 40mph. I resorted to using an 80mph sign to acheive this!

Note: Running trains both ways on a single track should also be no problem. Just make darn sure ALL the track is laid down going one way. Good Luck!

Al

JCitron
November 20th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Using 2010, with the updated Patch.. So, my major issue is that the AI speed isn't constant.. I want it to be running at 70MPH but it ends up going like 24-25 on CLEAR signals...

I'm using Jointed Rail Smart Signals.. maybe thats the issue? What What? Help Please!

INN,

Do you have any Type 06 signals near crossovers, or merge points? This will cause the AI to slowdown prior to the junction. You might want to try Justin's new advance warning signals prior to the junction or crossover.

The AI also anticipates junctions ahead of them, so ensure that the junction is set properly for your driver. If the junction is set against him, he will drive slowly until he can set the points in the correct direction.

John

Inn
November 20th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Some of the junctions are not set correctly but most of them are..

Interesting thou :)

I'm using all the UPDATED JR Signals.. It's weird because it switches my speed limits lol =P - Which is neat but annoying so I don't think it's 100% correct..

Good to hear from you John, I went to RW but now back to 2010..