PDA

View Full Version : Server problems?

refsworldlee1
October 20th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Hi all

Is it just me, or are there issues with Auran servers today? My ability to access the main website is at best random, sometimes the browser just hangs and hangs. Have tested other websites, which appear to be getting content to me.

Also, very glitchy Download Station today, started off not recognising my login, then took ages to give me any previews of downloadable assets, then took ages to initiate downloads of chosen remote assets.

Anyone else?

Lee.

rastis
October 20th, 2011, 04:56 AM
G'day! :wave:

Yep. I'm getting the same problem Down Under. Very frustrating. :confused:

Cheers! :)

Jake.

Dermmy
October 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM
'Black Page' DLS is slow - very slow...

pware
October 20th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I have also experienced "hangs" on loading the forum main page. The hang-up seemed to due to the browser trying to access an address "s7.addthis.com/...". after the top menus of the forum page had loaded and before the advertisement for the latest "Auran specials" appeared.

So I blocked the ad (using the ADP plugin for Firefox) - the hang-up still occurred. So I blocked "s7.addthis.com/*" and the problems has (so far) gone.

refsworldlee1
October 20th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Hi all

Is it just me, or are there issues with Auran servers today? My ability to access the main website is at best random, sometimes the browser just hangs and hangs. Have tested other websites, which appear to be getting content to me.

Also, very glitchy Download Station today, started off not recognising my login, then took ages to give me any previews of downloadable assets, then took ages to initiate downloads of chosen remote assets.

Anyone else?

Lee.

This is annoying! I am looking to obtain specific types of content on Download Station, thankfully it has now learnt who I am again and logs me in - but how can I tell if the item I am looking at is the right one for me without some kind of preview? I've got about 150 previews currently loading at the moment on Bridges! Patience is a virtue, but oh dear this is frustrating...

Lee.

refsworldlee1
October 20th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I have also experienced "hangs" on loading the forum main page. The hang-up seemed to due to the browser trying to access an address "s7.addthis.com/...". after the top menus of the forum page had loaded and before the advertisement for the latest "Auran specials" appeared.

So I blocked the ad (using the ADP plugin for Firefox) - the hang-up still occurred. So I blocked "s7.addthis.com/*" and the problems has (so far) gone.

Unfortunately, web developers use third-party sub-servers (Facebook are notorious for hosting their images on a range of different subbies) - so if Auran's main servers are going great guns, but the (sometimes under-funded) sub-servers are crap, you get a hang. Wish webmasters would guarantee the integrity of any sub-contract stuff they employ... :(

refsworldlee1
October 20th, 2011, 05:22 AM
For instance, I am now getting a lag on "mystatus.skype.com" - yet I don't use it and have no wish to use internet telephony (one sh** server, and you can't talk to anyone). Some of it is ads, but some of it is genuine content which should be coming to us via the said sub-servers...

refsworldlee1
October 20th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Looking at my Lanlight activity on the Download Station, their servers are all over the place when trying to deliver the goods into my siding! As it were...

Still not good.

Lee.

nugget2225
October 20th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Hi all

Anyone else?

Lee.
i myself keep getting invalid username and password in content manager when i try and login

refsworldlee1
October 20th, 2011, 08:35 AM
i myself keep getting invalid username and password in content manager when i try and login

Yes, that's what I got. In Download Station Content Manager v3.3, go to Files>Settings...>Internet tab. Re-enter your username and password, then click Save. Close the Content Manager and/or Trainz Launcher, then re-try the program. You should be able to at least get into your account through CM v3.3, but be warned, Previews and Downloads are very disrupted at the moment.

P.S. In the Internet tab, when you next check it, you may find that your user id number has disappeared. Don't worry, that will re-enter itself after a while.

boleyd
October 20th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Same here - USA. Lots of odd stuff. Must have a trainee running the show.:p

bendorsey
October 20th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Here too. I'm trying to get thru to approve some uploads but no luck. Guess it will get straightened out eventually.

Ben

tomurban
October 20th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Same here. Also kept saying I needed to register my serial # for 2012 in order to download a 2010 asset. I do not have 2012. Finally got it on the fourth try. Seems to be really messed up.

tomurban

aardvark1
October 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Same here. Also kept saying I needed to register my serial # for 2012 in order to download a 2010 asset. I do not have 2012. Finally got it on the fourth try. Seems to be really messed up.

tomurban

Perhaps this is the problem with 2010 assets:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=881491&postcount=17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleel http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/newforum/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=881482#post881482)
Would that still be the case with TS12? Like needing TS10 in order to get it going?

Not really. All the TS2010 content is available to TS12 users via the download station. The only real difference is that it's not installed by default.

chris

overkill650
October 20th, 2011, 09:29 AM
same here. i cant even launch my CM. says i havent registered with Auran yet.

C'mon Auran, We Need help here!

clam1952
October 20th, 2011, 10:37 AM
They will currently be asleep, going to have to wait a while I'm afraid.

tomurban
October 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Seems to be much better now. I just downloaded a bunch of Alco C424's from 2004 and download went very smooth. And it did not ask me to register like it did yesterday.

tomurban

refsworldlee1
October 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM
OK, guys. I'm no techno wizard, but my Lanlight tells me the servers (both Auran website and Download Station) are running at full speed now. My previews are now popping in there straight away, and I can get on with the job in hand.

Must have been stuck at the points. :hehe:

Lee.

ct_krogen
October 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM
could have been a burp in the net......att or who every has the back bone could haev had server problems,,,,

JCitron
October 20th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I couldn't get to www.auran.com, but I could get to the forums by typing www.auran.com/forums. There could be something wrong with the server, or perhaps there's a DNS issue. I couldn't even trace to the server without a time-out.

John

refsworldlee1
October 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Yes, have to admit that the sluggish server behaviour has returned. Surely someone from that end is aware of this by now? Choosing and downloading assets through Download Station is an absolute time-consuming pain at the moment.

leksie
October 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM
The same here , DLS as well CMP.:'( :'( :'(

JCitron
October 20th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Yes, have to admit that the sluggish server behaviour has returned. Surely someone from that end is aware of this by now? Choosing and downloading assets through Download Station is an absolute time-consuming pain at the moment.

This may be something that N3V can take care of. They should be getting into the office there soon, I would thing? Is it about 9:00 am AST?

John

refsworldlee1
October 20th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Hi

I have submitted a Support Ticket explaining the issues we have been experiencing and describing the intermittent data transfer rate. Although we have not lost connection, the quality of the service is bad enough for us to hope for an early resolution, and I don't think I am troubling them unduly by submitting the Ticket.

Best wishes

Lee.

refsworldlee1
October 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Hurrah for real this time!

It's definitely been fixed. I've got more done in the last five minutes than I managed in the previous hour. Everything firing nicely now. Haven't had a reply to my ticket, but as long as it's been fixed...

Lee.

refsworldlee1
October 21st, 2011, 06:07 AM
Hi all

They did reply, and I thanked them on behalf of you all.

Lee.

refsworldlee1
October 24th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Hi

Rather than clog up the board with a new thread, I'm just going to use this existing one to register the fact that, whatever is going on with the Download Station servers, they haven't fixed it. Merely patched it up. Because yet again, the data delivery to my Previews is in machine-gun style, rather than the smooth consistent performance you would expect from a well-maintained server.

I will give it twelve hours before I chuck in another support ticket.

Lee.

refsworldlee1
October 24th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Hi

I live in the wrong time zone. If only the servers decided to go on strike as both I and the good people at Auran booked in for Trainz duty. Wouldn't have long to wait for a resolution then, would I? However, as it stands, I've had to put up with working at snail-pace for a good 8 hours so far, and by the time they get into work, it will have been 12.

So - you're all working fine on the Forum, that's obviously great news, and downloads are continuing well through Download Station, not a bad rate of transfer actually. However, Preview images of DS assets, local or on the Station, are running to a "First Great Western" railway timetable (slow to appear at all) or even to a "First" buses timetable (wait for ages, then two or more turn up at once).

Now Auran's main site appears to be down or at least intermittent - however, I've managed to re-open the previous Support Ticket, as a heads-up for when they drag themselves into the office in the morning their time.

Best wishes

Lee.

JCitron
October 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Lee,

N3V will look at it in their morning. The DLS servers are located in the US, and there could be something wrong with the network again. There have been some big storms in the south and west, so who knows what's causing the network issues.

John

refsworldlee1
October 25th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Well, their morning is now gone, as is their afternoon, in fact I make it they will be heading home for their evening. And still no resolution to the problem. Or a reply to the ticket re-opening. So there'll be no soothing me by making excuses for them.

shaneturner12
October 25th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I can confirm that there is something going on (intermittently), as my new utility's networking component just reported Failed responses on all 4 connection tests. (Google.com, and 3 N3V site tests)

It appears to be a blip though, as it is now reporting Sucessful as normal.

Perhaps there is some intermittent activity in the area.

Shane

refsworldlee1
October 25th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Shane

Yes, there are sudden bursts of (what I call) normal data transfer (re: my previous comment "wait for ages, then two or more turn up"), but generally it's pretty dire (especially now, downloading the text descriptions), and has been for over 24 hours for us non-US Trainzers.

I wouldn't ordinarily mind if there was activity in solving it, but it's been a whole working day of theirs without even posting something somewhere to apologize that they can't fix it within that working day - nor, as I say, any reply to my re-opened ticket. Mis-communication is one thing, and you make allowances, but lack of any communication is what 'gets the goat' (UK phrasing).

Sorry, Mr Grumpy today, too many late nights on Trainz layout development - AND TRYING TO PREVIEW DLS IMAGES AND DESCRIPTIONS BEFORE DOWNLOADING, he said, shouting. Sorry again.

Lee.

shaneturner12
October 25th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I know what you mean - I am aware though from another post that there are issues in the US involving weather activity, that may be affecting the internet connections in the area.

Shane

refsworldlee1
October 25th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Rewind two weeks for the following conversation:

I said to the wife: "You know I don't normally have anything to do with gaming of any kind on the computer?"

Wife: "Yes, dear..."

Lee: "Well, I think I might have found something that will grab my interest and fulfil that side of things for me - it'll cost a few quid, but I don't currently spend anything on little extras. So I think I'll go ahead and buy Trainz."

Wife: "Whatever you want, my love. I love my Microsoft games, so go for it."

Lee: "Yes - it'll no doubt keep me occupied and give me a bit of enjoyment..."

Aaaaaargh.

I appreciate what you and JCitron have said about weather conditions, but a word on a website or Forum wouldn't go amiss, and would defuse argumentative types like m'self - you know? :o

Lighthearted Lee.

shaneturner12
October 25th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Have you tried my new utility? (See the thread regarding it in this forum)

It includes a connection check feature.

If that reports Failed, then it indicates a problem.

If it reports Sucessful, you may need to check your Firewall software.

Shane

refsworldlee1
October 25th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Found the link to it on your website. It mentions 32-bit - my system is 64-bit, but is that different to just .NET 32-bit?

clam1952
October 25th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Works ok here on 64 bit.

shaneturner12
October 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
The tool will work on any CPU (32-bit or 64-bit), and .NET Framework will work on both as well.

Shane

refsworldlee1
October 25th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Hi Shane

Certainly does work. However, it occurs to me that it merely establishes that a connection has been made. It does not comment on the rate of data transfer or bandwidth issues. Mine came up as SUCCESSFUL throughout, but the DLS performance issue remains. Thanks for that - I will keep that for future use.

Lee.

clam1952
October 25th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Using the network diagnostics in content manager it took 10 minutes to complete from the login onwards so something isn't working right. The connections are there ok but something is working at snail speed.

shaneturner12
October 25th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I've also noticed that it's dropping packets, which may indicate a bigger problem.

I'm looking to update my software to check for things like this, but it may take a while.

Shane

refsworldlee1
October 25th, 2011, 04:37 PM
If it's any help, I got two errors on net diag.

Error: Download failed - error 3.
Error: Test 'planet auran login' failed.

You would have more idea than me, but that looks squiffy. 'Cos I wasn't downloading anything at the time, unless that refers to a 'ping packet' scenario. And I am definitely logged in according to the app.

???

Lee.

refsworldlee1
October 25th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I've also noticed that it's dropping packets, which may indicate a bigger problem.

I'm looking to update my software to check for things like this, but it may take a while.

Shane

If you can get it to do that, get on and market it as a broadband bandwidth calculating tool! There would surely be $$$ or in that?

Lee.

shaneturner12
October 25th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I had that happen earlier.

Things appear to be working fine for me at the moment, after using my new utility to run a few tests.

Results:

PC Information Report - Networking Component
Generated using PC Information Application by Shane Turner
Network Available: YES
Connection Test: Google
PING TESTS
Packet 1: RECEIVED
Packet 2: RECEIVED
Packet 3: RECEIVED
Packet 4: RECEIVED
Summary: 4 Packets Received - 100% Received
Connection to google.com SUCCESSFUL
Connection Test: auran.com
PING TESTS
Connection to auran.com SUCCESSFUL
Connection Test: Free DLS Server
PING TESTS
Connection to free Auran DLS server SUCCESSFUL
Connection Test: Firstclass DLS server
PING TESTS
Summary: 4Packets Received - 100% Received
Connection to Firstclass Auran DLS server SUCCESSFUL
End of Test

Might be worth checking what results you get (see http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=80762 for the relevant information about my utility)

Shane

refsworldlee1
October 26th, 2011, 02:02 AM
All tests passed today in network diagnostics. Everything appears to be back to how it should be re: all connections and speed.

Lee.