PDA

View Full Version : Trainz Sim 12: Will key work between Steam version and Auran/retail version?

tgp1994
October 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm on the fence about asking for/purchasing Trainz Simulator 12 for this coming holiday season. I've tried older versions of Trainz before, but one thing that I'd like to know about this current version of Trainz is this; suppose I purchase it on Steam. Will I be able to use that to gain access to the Download Station?

dh2k3
October 4th, 2011, 05:16 PM
the answer is yes however most people prefer directly buying it from N3V.

tgp1994
October 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
the answer is yes however most people prefer directly buying it from N3V.

I can understand that, in fact, I think I may do the same.

I really like the fact that Auran encourages us to burn a backup DVD once we download a game. I know most game companies hate the very idea.

That brings me to another question; are we limited to how many times we may download the game from Auran to our computer once we purchase it?

itareus
October 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM
.....That brings me to another question; are we limited to how many times we may download the game from Auran to our computer once we purchase it?.....

There may be a limit, but if there is one it's so high that nobody has ever hit it (as far as I know).

I would never buy from Steam or any similar outfit. Buying direct from Auran (N3V) - might cost a little more but it's a price worth paying to have the latest service pack etc. Also you don't suffer from any of the DRM problems that come with Steam and the like. An added "Bonus" is that Auran get more revenue to go into developing future version of Trainz.

tgp1994
October 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I would never buy from Steam or any similar outfit. Buying direct from Auran (N3V) - might cost a little more but it's a price worth paying to have the latest service pack etc. Also you don't suffer from any of the DRM problems that come with Steam and the like. An added "Bonus" is that Auran get more revenue to go into developing future version of Trainz.

Ah, true... Alright, I know what's going on my wish list :)

RRSignal
October 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM
No, there is no limit to the number of downloads, though I'm not sure they keep a really old product on the FTP. Also, provided you have the Auran version (or, at least, not the Steam, Impulse, Gamersgate, etc. versions) you can have multiple installations on the same computer, have different installations in different partitions, etc. That's really helpful when backing things up because you can just back up the whole thing without having to worry about reinstalling or losing content. Multiple installations is good for performance reasons e.g. I have one installation in which I have mostly U.S./U.K. content and another with just stuff from eastern Europe, Russia, etc.

tgp1994
October 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Alright, you guys have me sold :)

Thank you all for your information.