hminky
September 5th, 2011, 06:30 AM
TS2010 runs everything well

n8phu
September 5th, 2011, 06:57 AM
TS2010... no complaints so far...

nexusdj
September 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM
2010 - Stable , compatability mode , speed trees , better lighting and graphics :)

IamKJVonly2
September 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM
For me nothing beats Trainz 12 and I highly recommend it espically if you haven't tried any of the other versions.

Dave

tomurban
September 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM
2010 without a doubt. Very stable and smooth with excellent frame rates. And with compatibility mode and some updates, it can run almost all of the older content.

tomurban

RRSignal
September 5th, 2011, 01:58 PM
TS12 more stable. TS2010 has more routes.

Amtrak72
September 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
TS 2010, and UTC. UTC is perfect in my opinion for beginners!

npr284
September 5th, 2011, 06:54 PM
TRS2004, without doubt the best! Reason; you can usually edit the config.txt file to repair or modify an asset that doesn't seem to work right, OR to remove some of the add-on "efx" locos come with that over complicates things so the sim runs faster overall and less fatal errors.

It is interesting to note that some of you like FS10 because you can use more of the older assets. I wouldn't have figured this for any of the newer sims to be able to do this.

I "was" going to get TS12, just to try it out, but maybe get TS10 instead, even if it is to only get another "First-Class Ticket" so as to be able to DL more assets for TRS2004.

Al

Thad09
September 5th, 2011, 07:19 PM
10 for the win!
(I make rhyme)

sparky15
September 5th, 2011, 07:27 PM
TRS2004.
Yeah, I know, it's not in my timeline. First version was TRS2006, the 5 CD version, never could get it to patch right. Bought the Merscom Trainz Railwayz and started liking the program again.

Tried TR2009, no thanks. Other half thought TS12 was the Mac version so bought it for me, no thanks again.

Somewhere in between picked up TRS2004 in a bargain bin for $5. Been hooked ever since. Deleted RailSimulator and MSTS gets an occasional use. I'm a Mac head and never use CMP to download. My Windows install never sees the internet so no anti-virus and all that. Always use the black pages to download from the DLS so never found a need to register TRS2004.

A lot of great things in the new versions. I like the signaling and all but even the Surveyor tools seem "clunky". Tried to make the newer versions work but the program, and the content games, are starting to get in the way along with the version, life cycle thing.

I know I need a computer upgrade for Trainz, but, the computer I have runs everything else I need very well and see no need to upgrade. Maybe in a few years when this one dies.

Until then, I went back to an older version and have been happy ever since. I'll miss the payware I bought, but, I don't miss the aggravation the newer versions of Trainz bring. I wish they would get of of the "efficiency" game and address things like switches.

Until then, it's TRS2004 and Blender for me. I would rather have several A.I. trains running with good frame rates than one or two of the excellent newer locomotives jerking the screen around. Until they redo the game engine, milking the old game engine out to improve graphics while crippling the operations is a no go.

Back to TRS2004 and happy again. Function over looks any day.

Dave......

captainkman
September 6th, 2011, 01:23 AM
For me, Trainz Classics 3, as it incorporates my favourite country, location, era and trains! And it was the first version to have the updated sound and smoke. I feel the other games focus too much on that stupid American stuff and Aussie stuff, even though I am Aussie.

TS12 has nothing that interests me.

I use TS2010, with the TC3 stuff installed and fixed too. I like TS2010, as it still gives me some challenges with faulty content, but that's all part of the fun!

BTW, if you like the American stuff, then that's your own wrong opinion! :) :p :hehe:

ray_whiley
September 6th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Of the limited number of versions I have, I would say that each has its merits.

TRS2004 - four years worth of downloads, routes begun and probably never finished but useful learning experiences, and a folder full of downloads.

TS2009 - no discernible advantages over 2010.

TS2010 - much more built-in content, more realistic trees, ease of testing any assets I create, ease of saving as CDPs for upload compared with the TRS2004 Content Dispatcher. Disadvantage - very limited UK content (rolling stock) compared with the amount I had collected for TRS2004. (I can't be bothered re-downloading or importing and then correcting any posible errors - other than my own creations which I import when I need them and find no problems with being configured for build 2.4.)

It's horses for courses as far as I am concerned. TRS2004 if I want to run my fairly extensive collection of UK rolling stock, but for the rest TS2010. Incidentally, I'm not particularly interested in 'built-in' routes in either.

Ray

pware
September 6th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Another popcorn thread:)

TS12 (I don't care about compatibility with older versions) followed by 2010 (I actually like Speed Treez) then 2006 third.

Euphod
September 6th, 2011, 02:19 AM
12, followed by 2010.

jhassell
September 6th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I`ve tried 04,06,& 10 & TC3

2009 is most stable on my laptop. Most things compatable and signalling is better than in earlier versions. Hardly ever crashes.

TS 2010 runs too slow for my PC and has horrible new trees which automatically replace existing ones when upgrading.

angelah
September 6th, 2011, 03:29 AM
TRS2004, without doubt the best! Reason; you can usually edit the config.txt file to repair or modify an asset that doesn't seem to work right, OR to remove some of the add-on "efx" locos come with that over complicates things so the sim runs faster overall and less fatal errors.

It is interesting to note that some of you like FS10 because you can use more of the older assets. I wouldn't have figured this for any of the newer sims to be able to do this.

I "was" going to get TS12, just to try it out, but maybe get TS10 instead, even if it is to only get another "First-Class Ticket" so as to be able to DL more assets for TRS2004.

Al

Hi,
You have found the magic key, as I have. From my Sig you can see how many versions I own and have run, 2004 being the most used I suppose because I built quite a few routes in it that are on the DS.
I make assets in gmax and have discovered, as you have, that they work fine in 2010. In fact the vast majority of my 2004 assets will Import into 2004, 2006, TC 1 & 2 and TC 3 as well as 2010 without errors. Spline assets sometimes throw a wobbler though.
Having used quite a few versions I still like 2004, although as Ray Wiley says, Content Manager is a bit fiddly when saving to CDP while CMP's are much easier (now I have the hang of them, they drove me mad at first).
The first test on a new asset is in 2004. If it goes in okay then I get a screenie. Then I go through all the other versions testing in rotation.
And like Ray I also have a large stock of content for 04 and have never bothered trying to sort them out for later versions, so if I run Trainz then it will most likely to be the older version.
UTC was a bit awkward having to put the rolling stock location points in before you could place anything but 2004 cured that and Auran have stuck with it ever since.
I don't like SpeedTreez and feel I would not want a route I made with trees of my own choice changed to the Speedsters at all. So I won't be buying 2012; the second reason I would not is that there is a very limited selection of UK rolling stock and in the blue livery, which I don't like either.
Maybe the program is now getting in the way of simply enjoying Trainz?
But as you may have noticed I have upgraded the configs for TC3 now that the earlier TC version has been stopped. Whether or not I will go beyond that is another thing, but I do also upload all assets as 2004 content to TPR.

Angela

cascaderailroad
September 6th, 2011, 03:33 AM
The last 2 posts about Speed Trees ... Perhaps the whole Speed Tree idea should be totally abandoned in the next version of Trainz ?

pware
September 6th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Perhaps the whole Speed Tree idea should be totally abandoned in the next version of Trainz ?

I most strenuously hope not!

Two quotes that I have googled up about opinions are probably appropriate here (and are just as applicable to my opinions as to anyone else's) .

I'm not sure I want popular opinion on my side -- I've noticed those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts. Bethania McKenstry (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Bethania_McKenstry/)

Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth. Charles A. Dana (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Charles_A._Dana/) (1819 - 1897)

H222
September 6th, 2011, 05:16 AM
The last 2 posts about Speed Trees ... Perhaps the whole Speed Tree idea should be totally abandoned in the next version of Trainz ?

No.

Now go complain about the DLS again even though your battle is seriously pointless

Pofigs and Mcguirrel's trees that look great

Jamie

uracco
September 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I love TS2009 because it benefited from lots of new content and routes (even though a lot of it is GerMAN) then TS2010 because it gets even more new content an d more br related items. 3rd would be TRS2004 no bugs and a good intro to trainz!

cascaderailroad
September 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Someone tell me why I should 09 version, instead of buying 10 ... I already know the benifits of 12 ... and about other things such as non-compatability

fran1
September 6th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Someone tell me why I should 09 version, instead of buying 10 ... I already know the benifits of 12 ... and about other things such as non-compatability

10's your best bet, patched to build 44088 (no multiplayer) plus you've compatibility. Very stable.

tomurban
September 6th, 2011, 06:12 PM
10's your best bet, patched to build 44088 (no multiplayer) plus you've compatibility. Very stable.

I would say extremely stable. My 2010 has only crashed once and I believe that was my fault. I had too much stuff open and ran out of usable memory(5GB total).

tomurban

Vern
September 6th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I think I have to come down on the side of TS2010. Reasonably stable and up to date (patched to 44088) you can choose whether or not to use speedtrees, loads of built in content and routes, compatability mode for older content etc.

In terms of the version I have actually used most, that is TRS2006. All of my published routes were built in that version and again in the final version it was actually quite stable to use.

I did buy TS12 but as with my purchase of TS2009 it has seen little use.

Scottish
September 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I don't like SpeedTreez and feel I would not want a route I made with trees of my own choice changed to the Speedsters at all.

Angela, have you tried using Pofig's speedtrees in TS2010 native mode. I agree that the built-in ones are rubbish, but Pofig's ones are much better, look like real trees, seem to have less effect on the framerates and are available in hundreds of types and sizes.

I have a number of your superb routes, and have changed a couple of them to use Pofig's trees to see what they looked like. I think the change of trees is an improvement because I can run in native mode for better frame rates and they do not detract from the appearance of your route.

By that way, I see your are now into Gmax asset creation and I have a few of your creations. I have been watching with great interest the development of your new skill and I am tempted to have a go after being inspired by you. I cannot make up my mind whether it would be easier or better to use Gmax or Blender.

Thanks

By the way, of the Trainz versions I have I think 2010 with Pofig's trees is the most stable and best.

Scottish

meatloaf747
September 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM
IMHO TS2010's (44088) been the most stable for me. Really enjoyed TRS2006 before TS2010 came out... (4+ years with 06).

Foot note; Give me "most of" NV3's, Pofig's and Mcguirrel's speed-trees over cardboard cutouts any day... I guess at the end of the day, it's up to each individual as to whether they like, or prefer 2D trees over 3D trees...

I think big improvements have been made in the development of speed-trees since NV3's initially launched them. Hopefully they will continue to be a "work in progress" and be improved with more variety available over time...

Cheers, Mac...