PDA

View Full Version : you know whats annoying?

bp012q1020
August 18th, 2011, 11:51 AM
My kids brought me trainz 2004 some years back for my birthday, they saved up there pocket money and got it me, best gift I ever recieved, I loved the fact that I could download additional stuff. now though... having had the game brought me, I am being asked to pay AGAIN to download content wich should be openly available to people who have already purchashed the game in ome way weather it was a gift or there own buy....

colourlight
August 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Your grievance has been voiced in these forums a number of times. The download station is not a freebie and someone has to pay for it. And you should bear in mind that the stuff on the DLS is made by individuals in their spare time without pay and they are making it available to fellow Trainzers free of charge. I am quite happy to pay a reasonable charge for this service.

Deano5
August 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Surely in the five years you have had Trainz, you must have gathered a vast amount of free downloads in that time. Don't forget that the version you are using is the best part of near eight years old, that's ancient in terms of software and computers, you cannot blame the company for no longer supporting such vintage software without asking a small fee to keep the servers paid for. :wave:

cascaderailroad
August 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
TRS2006 cost me $14.95 USD in 2007, for 4 years of service ... the annual FCT @ $22 USD, 6 cents per day, is the best afordable price for downloading from the DLS.

I now am faced with choosing TS10 $19.99, or TS12 $49.99 ... and price is not my sway point. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm TS12 ?

You get what you pay for ... you pay for what you get !

bobhahn
August 18th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I would think that after buying something in 2004, you would be entitled to have people make things for you and give them to you for free, and to have other people buy and run servers for you, for free, and all of this for the rest of your life.

Yep, that's reasonable. And guess what: that's what you have. Now if you also want these downloads to be fast... well, then you're going to have to help pay for the faster boxes.

BLACKWATCH
August 18th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I would think that after buying something in 2004, you would be entitled to have people make things for you and give them to you for free, and to have other people buy and run servers for you, for free, and all of this for the rest of your life.

Yep, that's reasonable. And guess what: that's what you have. Now if you also want these downloads to be fast... well, then you're going to have to help pay for the faster boxes.

Don't give answers to a question you haven't understood.
You are wrong, only having TRS2004 means the OP has to buy a fct to actually access the DLS, not make his downloads faster, he can't even download without a fct.

Euphod
August 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Don't give answers to a question you haven't understood.
You are wrong, only having TRS2004 means the OP has to buy a fct to actually access the DLS, not make his downloads faster, he can't even download without a fct.

That's a good point. It's also a good point to note that there really aren't going to be any new items made for 2004 on the DLS. The user could still download from other sources though.

nimec
August 19th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I have great difficulty believing there is someone left in this world who thinks all good things are free. Where are you from mate, Hollywood? All hobbies cost money and you get what you pay for. If you think you should still get free stuff for an antiquated version of trains, then poor you, Wake up and get real.
It's a simple equation really. Anyone stuck in 2004 or 2006 should realise that the world has moved on. I cant understand why N3V even bothers to have 2004 stuff still on the DLS. It should be removed. Most of the grisslers who complain on this forum probably pay $4 for a coffee a day but refuse to pay a weeks coffee price for something that will last years.

H222
August 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM

In regards to yyour title, can I walk into Maccas and get a coke refill if I walk in with a Maccas authentic '50's cup??

Work it out

Jamie

pfx
August 19th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Nimec, I think you've gone a bit overboard with that post, not to mention being mildly offensive. The OP's post doesn't require an answer full of sarcasm or expletives.

AJ_Fox
August 19th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Let's please keep it friendly all.

Cheers

AJ

sniper297
August 19th, 2011, 03:48 AM
"You know what's annoying", I was gonna guess American Idol, doesn't look like that was the right answer. :'(

Stationbeem
August 19th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I have great difficulty believing there is someone left in this world who thinks all good things are free. Where are you from mate, Hollywood? All hobbies cost money and you get what you pay for. If you think you should still get free stuff for an antiquated version of trains, then poor you, Wake up and get real.
It's a simple equation really. Anyone stuck in 2004 or 2006 should realise that the world has moved on. I cant understand why N3V even bothers to have 2004 stuff still on the DLS. It should be removed. Most of the grisslers who complain on this forum probably pay $4 for a coffee a day but refuse to pay a weeks coffee price for something that will last years.

Some of us do realise that the world has moved on, but you have to consider is that some of us are unemployed and cant afford to up grade as yet. I am happy with 2004/6 and happy with 3rd party sites such as TPR..Trains Depot not to mention others that are available. The cost of the FCT is to help with the running of the servers in my opinion. So the content is still free.

Till I have the funds to up grade my Trainz I have no problems with the cost of a FCT.
Just my thoughts on this.

RRSignal
August 19th, 2011, 10:07 AM
"You know what's annoying", I was gonna guess American Idol, doesn't look like that was the right answer. :'(

I would have said Jersey Shore, lol! :p

cascaderailroad
August 19th, 2011, 10:11 AM
It's a simple equation really. Anyone stuck in 2004 or 2006 should realise that the world has moved on. I cant understand why N3V even bothers to have 2004 stuff still on the DLS. It should be removed.
If N3V removed all the TRS2006 & TRS2004 assets, you would have tens of thousands of assets missing, (that work very well in all higher versions). You don't cut off your nose, to spite your face !

pware
August 19th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I think the first two responses in this thread covered the topic adequately.

Your grievance has been voiced in these forums a number of times. The download station is not a freebie and someone has to pay for it. And you should bear in mind that the stuff on the DLS is made by individuals in their spare time without pay and they are making it available to fellow Trainzers free of charge. I am quite happy to pay a reasonable charge for this service.

Surely in the five years you have had Trainz, you must have gathered a vast amount of free downloads in that time. Don't forget that the version you are using is the best part of near eight years old, that's ancient in terms of software and computers, you cannot blame the company for no longer supporting such vintage software without asking a small fee to keep the servers paid for. :wave:

... everything went mostly downhill from there.

JCitron
August 19th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Does anybody have any popcorn? ;)

Seriously though. This hobby is one of the least expensive ones I've ever had. The FCT, at the $1.83333333 per month, is nothing. You can't even get a gallon of gas for that anymore. Other than the cost of the computer, which most people have purchased anyway, along with the internet service, which most people would have today, the cost of the program with the FCT is nothing in the scope of things. Especially since the number of hours spent using the program far out ways the initial cost of the purchases. Thinking from a business stand-point, this is called the ROI or return on investment, which in this case is pretty wonderful. Most companies would gladly have this kind of ratio of use to purchasing cost.

Yes, I understand that some people are on a tight budget. I was for over a year when I was unemployed. There are some things you need to cut out, otherwise you can't eat or purchase medication. While I was out of work, I had that choice. My unemployment did not cover my PD medication, which costs over $585 for one medication. Today I take another 7 different ones now, with one of the new ones now costing $860 per month without insurance. Today I am lucky with the insurance. Then I chose to eat instead, so I suffered the consequences which are not very nice.

But as others have said here, if it wasn't for N3V, we wouldn't have what we have today, and the cost of running the DLS is not free. It's the FCT that actually pays a good part of the maintenance and server costs to keep the gerbils and hamsters fed and the servers online.

Remember N3V is a business just like Microsoft, Gulf Oil, CBS, HBO, AOL, etc. A business makes money and pays employees that work there and to provide services that we purchase from them. The original founders of Auran were too generous, I think in the beginning, but that's all in the past now. I wonder if things may have been different if they had adopted a different business model in the beginning? But as they say, this was all water under the bridge, and we're in different times now than we ever were.

John

pware
August 19th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Does anybody have any popcorn? ;)

I think there are still buckets left over from the last "fight" on errors in the free DLS content, and payware vs freeware, and trs2006 vs every other version, and ....

Peter Ware

Dep
August 20th, 2011, 08:42 AM

ROFL...reading my mind!!!!! :D :D

cascaderailroad
August 20th, 2011, 08:47 AM
... That confounded blinding yellow compass ... that you can not turn off

Thad09
August 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Would floating track count as annoying?

Pay for FCT-pay for server matinence and more stuff-servers hold conetnt-you download content. Thats how it works. I have a year FCT thats ticking away and a nother year in reserves; Im good on that.

JCitron
August 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Would floating track count as annoying?

Pay for FCT-pay for server matinence and more stuff-servers hold conetnt-you download content. Thats how it works. I have a year FCT thats ticking away and a nother year in reserves; Im good on that.

I second the floating track and roads. That really is annoying because you can spend hours fiddling with the ground versus the tracks to hide the edge. There are some newer roads and tracks which help solve that issue though, which is a good thing.

How about track-side objects that jump down the track a piece when you insert a spline point! I hate this because I then find a missing junction lever or track bumper somewhere in the middle of a through track.

John

JCitron
August 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I think there are still buckets left over from the last "fight" on errors in the free DLS content, and payware vs freeware, and trs2006 vs every other version, and ....

Peter Ware

That's a good idea, but I thought that may be a bit stale. I was hoping for a fresh batch. :p

John

nuni7270
August 20th, 2011, 11:24 PM
That I had a burn out during all summer and got back into Trainz two days before school starts. Now that's annoying.

sniper297
August 21st, 2011, 12:17 AM
Wait, I got it, the answer is MICROSOFT! I bought Windows 3 back in 1986, then when they came out with Windows NT they wouldn't give me a free copy so I had to buy that, Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows XP and I bought all those and I'm STILL waiting for my free copy of Windows 7, how many times do I have to keep buying Windows? THAT is what's annoying, do I win some popcorn? :cool: And how come MSDOS is no longer supported, I paid good money for all those versions and MSDOS 6 was working so GOOD! :'(

ct_krogen
August 21st, 2011, 04:44 PM
[quote=sniper297;850640]Wait, I got it, the answer is MICROSOFT! I bought Windows 3 back in 1986, then when they came out with Windows NT they wouldn't give me a free copy so I had to buy that, Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows XP and I bought all those and I'm STILL waiting for my free copy of Windows 7, how many times do I have to keep buying Windows? THAT is what's annoying, do I win some popcorn? :cool: And how come MSDOS is no longer supported, I paid good money for all those versions and MSDOS 6 was working so GOOD!

i have to agree with you...... every other year big m will come out with a new os.... biggier & maybe better, but once a month you will get a fix for a bug, every month.. so yea, one ton of popcorn being trainzed to you in a iportal
:udrool: :udrool: :udrool:

Satyr
August 21st, 2011, 08:42 PM
Wait, I got it, the answer is MICROSOFT! I bought Windows 3 back in 1986, then when they came out with Windows NT they wouldn't give me a free copy so I had to buy that, Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows XP and I bought all those and I'm STILL waiting for my free copy of Windows 7, how many times do I have to keep buying Windows? THAT is what's annoying, do I win some popcorn? :cool: And how come MSDOS is no longer supported, I paid good money for all those versions and MSDOS 6 was working so GOOD! :'(

G'day Sniper297,

Have you ever tried "Dosbox" it's a little free proggy that let you run a lot of software rhar was writen for Dos.

BTW, you make great assets, do not use them myself coz I'm building European based routes, but I recognise great stuff when I see it.:clap:

Have a good one,
E.C.

Dep
August 21st, 2011, 10:57 PM
G'day Sniper297,

Have you ever tried "Dosbox" it's a little free proggy that let you run a lot of software rhar was writen for Dos.

BTW, you make great assets, do not use them myself coz I'm building European based routes, but I recognise great stuff when I see it.:clap:

Have a good one,
E.C.

I'm waiting foe the conversion of TS12 into DOS. I heard the framerates will double under DOS. :)

sniper297
August 22nd, 2011, 12:20 AM
Actually I have;

http://www.oldgames.sk/en/

A lot of those old games come with DOSbox preconfigured. :cool:

"BTW, you make great assets"

Thanks, I should by now, been uploading addons for computer games since the original Bruce Artwick flightsim 1 so I've certainly had enough practice. :hehe:

Satyr
August 22nd, 2011, 12:44 AM
Actually I have;

http://www.oldgames.sk/en/

A lot of those old games come with DOSbox preconfigured. :cool:

"BTW, you make great assets"

Thanks, I should by now, been uploading addons for computer games since the original Bruce Artwick flightsim 1 so I've certainly had enough practice. :hehe:

G'Day,

Used to have stacks of old dos games, mt favourite was "Mega Traveler" which I used to play on my Amiga also. I used to print out fact sheets for every planet.
Now my life is entirely devoted to Trainz:Y:.
Talk about a one track mind:hehe:.

Have a good one,
E.C.

Dep
August 22nd, 2011, 08:58 AM
G'Day,

Used to have stacks of old dos games, mt favourite was "Mega Traveler" which I used to play on my Amiga also. I used to print out fact sheets for every planet.

Have a good one,
E.C.

I liked Red Storm Rising on my Commodore 64.:)

Satyr
August 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM

G'day,

The programs I had on my C64 were 99.9% typed in by myself ftom books and magazines. I used to have a lot of fun adapting very old basic programs that were writen for use with a line printer to the C64 and adding sprites, graphics, colour and movement to them.

Have a good one,
E.C.

JCitron
August 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
G'Day,

Have a good one,
E.C.

I remember that game too! DOSBox is great. I've used that for a couple of oldies as well.

I'm staill waiting for my free upgrade from CP/M to Windows 7, but that hasn't happened either. I ended up buying the OS instead.

John

colourlight
August 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
You know whats annoying? People who go off subject in a thread.

Dep
August 22nd, 2011, 05:30 PM

You know what's annoying? Someone who tries to keep threads on topic. :hehe:

BLACKWATCH
August 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Nothing is "Annoying" more than "Dosbox" because I still have my Amiga up & running in it's tower & linked into my Micropuke Windows box, it still runs Amidos progs from way back, whilst 'Windows' struggles to run aps from it's own last version. Windows just ripped off everyone elses ideas.

You have to realise that Amiga was more 'Apple-Mac' than Micro-puke, it had 'WINDOW' mode before microcrap got out of command line input.
Therefore it is bound to be more user friendly than a corporate money making machine, which just ripped off somebody elses idea.

Now if this ain't gone (gon for our yank friends) off subject, I suggest our redneck pals from "over the pond" consult the big dictionary on computer systems.
The 'Amiga' was designed & built by COMMODORE, one of thefirst computer companies to give the home user an insight to the new way of logging data.

And to put the boot in, Computers were invented by the BRITISH, not the yanks, look up BABBAGE.

Satyr
August 23rd, 2011, 02:00 AM

G'day,

What was the topic again?:hehe:

Have a good one,
E.C.

Satyr
August 23rd, 2011, 02:19 AM
Nothing is "Annoying" more than "Dosbox" because I still have my Amiga up & running in it's tower & linked into my Micropuke Windows box, it still runs Amidos progs from way back, whilst 'Windows' struggles to run aps from it's own last version. Windows just ripped off everyone elses ideas.

You have to realise that Amiga was more 'Apple-Mac' than Micro-puke, it had 'WINDOW' mode before microcrap got out of command line input.
Therefore it is bound to be more user friendly than a corporate money making machine, which just ripped off somebody elses idea.

Now if this ain't gone (gon for our yank friends) off subject, I suggest our redneck pals from "over the pond" consult the big dictionary on computer systems.
The 'Amiga' was designed & built by COMMODORE, one of thefirst computer companies to give the home user an insight to the new way of logging data.

And to put the boot in, Computers were invented by the BRITISH, not the yanks, look up BABBAGE.

G'day,

The "Workbench/windows" concept was originaly developed by Xerox.
The Amiga was on the scene before the Apple mac, and was more advanced than the Mac.
When Commodore was syill going, the PC was just an expensive doorstop.:hehe:
It's realy amazing that the PC needs GHZ of speed, and nulriple gigs of memory to do what the Amiga could do with 8Mhz and a few megabites of memory.

Have a good one,
E.C.

amigacooke
August 23rd, 2011, 03:38 AM
G'day,The Amiga was on the scene before the Apple mac, and was more advanced than the Mac. The Amiga was excellent but the Mac came first, 1984 as opposed to 1985.

JCitron
August 23rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
Not to make excuses for Microsoft or the PCs, we have to remember that these were originally business-class machines versus home machines. Way back in the early 1980s when PCs were first developed, they were meant to be connected to mainframes as terminals, but only with local storage. There was no such thing as fancy graphics and sound like we have today.

IBM determined the early specs on the machines, and hired Microsoft to write the first versions of DOS for them after breaking off with Digital Research. Prior to MS-DOS becoming a full-fledged OS, Digital Research wrote a version of CP/M for the early Intel machines and then went on to write a multitasking version of CP/M called MP/M. It was after DR had a falling out with the over-controlling IBM, that the latter company went with Microsoft instead.

Now with IBM in control of things, they determined what MS and other vendors would do. In the early 1990s, IBM and Microsoft jointly developed OS/2. IBM pushed for more control over the project and Microsoft and other fought back. Microsoft eventually split from them and went on to produce NT and the later versions of Windows.

So what we have to work with is actually a late comer to the GUI party. Microsoft through borrowing from other companies (being said nicely here), developed the Windows look we have. Sadly the other O/S vendors never really did anything any better. In part this is due to the original specs developed at MIT, Xerox and other companies.

What MS Windows is today is nothing more than a variant on the same theme. This is due to the X Windows and Open Windows GUI standards that came out MIT's project Athena.

The location of the menu bar with File, Edit, etc. across the top is standard in nearly all GUIs today whether this is KDE, Windows 7, or even the Amiga OS.

What we also see in Windows today is developed through end-user and committee feedback. In the early days of the development cycle, Microsoft solicited feedback regarding what features the users would like to see. Through these surveys, they developed the look and feel we have now. The thing is, the underlying X Windows layout is still there no matter how they try to hide it.

Is this perfect? Hell no! There are annoyances in Windows just like any GUI. What really counts is the stability under the pretty shell, and this is where Windows 7 shines today. This is by far the most stable version of Windows we have today. It may have been a little over 20 years in the making, but they sure caught on fast to give us what we have today.

Here's a Wiki link you might find interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_graphical_user_interface

John

Dep
August 23rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
I still want OS2 Warp to run. But I was never able to get it going on my comp. :(

JCitron
August 23rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
I still want OS2 Warp to run. But I was never able to get it going on my comp. :(

Warp is pretty cool. I remember installing it for some special actuarial applications way back when I worked for a life insurance company.

You could try Oracle's Virtual Box. www.virtualbox.org

Install the Virtual Box, follow the new machine wizard, and install the operating system. It's a pretty cool way to get things to run that you can't run on modern computer hardware.

John

Dep
August 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
John: I've been thinking about a system called Ubuntu. I've had it with buying upgrades to Windows.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

bp012q1020
September 13th, 2011, 04:36 AM
As said previousley in this post, the items available for download are made by other trainz users and not the people who have started to charge for the downloads... if there going to start charging then it's only fair that the makers of the things being downloaded get a cut of that money, it's really that simple, maybe if they could be bothered to do that then it wouldn't bother me so much

H222
September 13th, 2011, 04:45 AM
You're not being charged for the assets, you're being charged for the upkeep of the program which stores the assets. They are still free but they are being held.

You don't know much about web servers do you??

Jamie

shaneturner12
September 13th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Only ones with unsupported versions (this is currently Trainz Classics 1+2 and earlier) have to pay to access the Download Station - if a user buys and registers Trainz Classics 3 or later, they can restore free Download Station access untill the end-of-support date for the version they register (see http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php5/Trainz_Life-Cycle_Policy for the date(s))

Shane

H222
September 13th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Keep it simple Shane, you're confusing me a bit:hehe:

I was talking to the OP - The you is bp012q1020, spell that 10 times quickly :confused:

Jamie

:) :) :)

shaneturner12
September 13th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Apologies - I will edit my post.

Shane

Dep
September 13th, 2011, 07:49 AM
You're not being charged for the assets, you're being charged for the upkeep of the program which stores the assets. They are still free but they are being held.

You don't know much about web servers do you??

Jamie

Be gentle with him. It's his third post.;)
And a free broken asset is about as useless as mammary glands on a bull.:hehe:

Dep
September 13th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Only ones with unsupported versions (this is currently Trainz Classics 1+2 and earlier) have to pay to access the Download Station - if a user buys and registers Trainz Classics 3 or later, they can restore free Download Station access untill the end-of-support date for the version they register (see http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php5/Trainz_Life-Cycle_Policy for the date(s))

Shane

There have been numerous reports from users who don't buy a FCT that downloads are "iffy" at best. I have experienced that same situation. "Free" only goes so far. :(

tension69
September 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I don't see the problem. I've DL'd stacks of stuff with the CM recently without a FCT no probs. Sure, I have a cup of coffee and a 'smoke' while I'm waiting but it's still free. Nice. Jazzzzz. Smooooth...

Trolls....now they're annoying little b*ggers, you have to finish 'em off with fire.:cool:

shaneturner12
September 13th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I think the issue is relating to users who are not able or willing to buy a supported version of Trainz - the old copies are cheap for a reason (reminds me of the old saying 'you get what you pay for')

I can understand that some users have older machines that may not be able to support TS2010/12, but TS2009 may work OK on said machines, as long as SP4 has not been added (which makes TS2009 look and behave more like TS2010)

Shane

mezzoprezzo
September 13th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Iíve been following the thread with interest.

A couple of thought provoking comments have been made whilst doodling in Surveyor.

Cheers
Casper
:o

~ snip~ I have a cup of coffee and a 'smoke' while I'm waiting but it's still free. ~snip~

Be gentle with him. It's his third post.;)
And a free broken asset is about as useless as mammary glands on a bull.:hehe:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/fstrainz/f39a7952.jpg

tension69
September 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM
LMAO :D:D:D

Nice one Casper :hehe:

nfitzsimmons
September 13th, 2011, 10:10 AM
G'day,

The programs I had on my C64 were 99.9% typed in by myself ftom books and magazines. I used to have a lot of fun adapting very old basic programs that were writen for use with a line printer to the C64 and adding sprites, graphics, colour and movement to them.

Have a good one,
E.C.

Ah, yes, the C-64. The running joke was that it was faster to type in the code for the program you wanted to run through the keyboard than it was to to load it from the floppy drive.

Dep
September 13th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Trolls....now they're annoying little b*ggers, you have to finish 'em off with fire.:cool:

Put them in the same catagory as cheerleaders. :D

danielpalfrey
November 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
well, I know a fair bit about web servers.... And since i can't even put in a search to search for content to see if there is anything I want it's a bit pants... I now have my fct due to not been able to download or search for anything and guess what??? half the content i want won't even download..

aardvark1
November 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM
well, I know a fair bit about web servers.... And since i can't even put in a search to search for content to see if there is anything I want it's a bit pants... I now have my fct due to not been able to download or search for anything and guess what??? half the content i want won't even download..

What version of Trainz is causing your problem?

You alone may be the source of your problem.

Regards,

RRSignal
November 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM

You don't appear to have a registered copy of Trainz. That might be the cause of your issues.

Jacobchgo19
November 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM
Favorite book is RedStorm Rising.. (im only 10 and i love tom clancys books)

bp012q1020
November 1st, 2011, 03:29 PM
What version of Trainz is causing your problem?

You alone may be the source of your problem.

Regards,

I am running trainz 2004 and have registered it here

shaneturner12
November 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM
Actually, he has registered (it was probably after your post)

My guess is that because most of the assets have been updated to Trainz Classics 1+2 or 3 standards, they cannot be used in TRS2004.

Shane

bp012q1020
November 1st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Actually, he has registered (it was probably after your post)

My guess is that because most of the assets have been updated to Trainz Classics 1+2 or 3 standards, they cannot be used in TRS2004.

Shane
I registered when I got the game wich was some years ago.... well, this sucks, i have paid to be able to download very limited content....

shaneturner12
November 1st, 2011, 03:41 PM
This is the problem when buying old versions.

Due to the DLS Cleanup project, and the unsupport of versions before Trainz Classics 3, this means that it is more difficult to download such assets.

It may be possible to find them by only ticking TRS2004 and earlier versions on the Download Station search page.

Shane

bp012q1020
November 1st, 2011, 03:46 PM
This is the problem when buying old versions.

Due to the DLS Cleanup project, and the unsupport of versions before Trainz Classics 3, this means that it is more difficult to download such assets.

It may be possible to find them by only ticking TRS2004 and earlier versions on the Download Station search page.

Shane

That doesnt work i tried it. When the game was brought for me, it was new

shaneturner12
November 1st, 2011, 03:49 PM
The only other method of doing it involves KUID numbers, but this requires knowledge of the relevant numbers.

You can try third-party sites though - some of these contain TRS2004 and earlier content.

Shane

sniper297
He was asking the new guy, danielpalfrey, who is not showing a registered version in his profile - always a problem when trying to download something, gotta click the
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/newforum/serial.jpg (https://www.auran.com/planetauran/SN_Enter_Serialnumber.php)
(http://www.ts2009.com/)link at the top of the page to get any kind of download station access working - as well as it ever works, anyway.

As for the original poster, sorry about your luck. Changes have been made to adapt to modern times, I no longer have TRS2004 installed. When I created content for TRS2004 I found it would not work in TS2010 native mode without a lot of fiddlefaddling, so I moved on and am now creating everything in TS2010. That ensures it works perfectly in TS2010, unfortunately it also means it won't work at all in TRS2004. Whether that's good bad or indifferent is irrelevant, it's a fact of life that wishing won't change.

bp012q1020
If trs 2004 is unsupported and it is the only registered product I have why the hell did they allow me to WASTE money buying a fct.... If a version is now un supported they shouldnt allow people to buy a ticket if there only registered game is an unsupported one....

bp012q1020
November 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
He was asking the new guy, danielpalfrey, who is not showing a registered version in his profile - always a problem when trying to download something, gotta click the
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/newforum/serial.jpg (https://www.auran.com/planetauran/SN_Enter_Serialnumber.php) [/URL]
[URL="http://www.ts2009.com/"]
(http://www.ts2009.com/)link at the top of the page to get any kind of download station access working - as well as it ever works, anyway.

As for the original poster, sorry about your luck. Changes have been made to adapt to modern times, I no longer have TRS2004 installed. When I created content for TRS2004 I found it would not work in TS2010 native mode without a lot of fiddlefaddling, so I moved on and am now creating everything in TS2010. That ensures it works perfectly in TS2010, unfortunately it also means it won't work at all in TRS2004. Whether that's good bad or indifferent is irrelevant, it's a fact of life that wishing won't change.

When you have spent like at least 5 years building up a really we laid map the last thing you want to do is loose it just because thats been done...

shaneturner12
November 1st, 2011, 03:52 PM
That's the only problem with the forum view system - it's difficult to see what reply is for what post, unless you are using the right view, and even then it can involve trawling through posts.

I can understand where you are coming from now - I quite often advise users to register their serial numbers as well.

Shane

sniper297
November 1st, 2011, 04:01 PM
The FCT gets you access to the download station. Possibly you're misunderstanding how to use the filter.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1784/67763358.jpg

By default mine looks like that when I log in, won't work for TRS2004.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6791/73802245.jpg

Click the boxes from TRS2006 on up to remove the checkmarks, click the boxes from TRS2004 on down to add checkmarks. After that when searching I get only content made for TRS2004 or earlier versions in the search list.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5980/15438837.jpg

bp012q1020
November 1st, 2011, 04:04 PM
The FCT gets you access to the download station. Possibly you're misunderstanding how to use the filter.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1784/67763358.jpg

By default mine looks like that when I log in, won't work for TRS2004.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6791/73802245.jpg

Click the boxes from TRS2006 on up to remove the checkmarks, click the boxes from TRS2004 on down to add checkmarks. After that when searching I get only content made for TRS2004 or earlier versions in the search list.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5980/15438837.jpg
This is what I have done

Deano5
November 1st, 2011, 04:05 PM
Paid what? Trainz 04 can rarely be found these days except in a games museum and last I saw and heard it was 50p in the bargain bucket's, and even that was a long time ago. Geez man, get a grip and stop to read what you have posted here! :sleep:
For the sake of a few quid/Dollar, you can upgrade to the latest editions. Not like the latest "Tiger Woods" or "Far Cry" game that will set you back £50 or more ($80-90).
Yet still you begrudge helping a small unknown, non rich company that offers you a free server full of free assets and free help on it's free forums by donating a couple of pounds for a FCT. :eek:
Why don't you BUZZ off to Railsim and pay an additional 5 to 20 or more for every single tiny download. You'll soon have a few thousend pounds worth of stuff to complain about.
The guys on here work really hard all of the time, not just when it suits you, but always.
I better stop now as I'm getting annoyed at this free loader.:(

sniper297
November 1st, 2011, 04:07 PM
"This is what I have done"

Okay, and what are you getting when you do that? Are you still getting content listed that's later than TRS2004?

bp012q1020
November 1st, 2011, 04:09 PM
Paid what? Trainz 04 can rarely be found these days except in a games museum and last I saw and heard it was 50p in the bargain bucket's, and even that was a long time ago. Geez man, get a grip and stop to read what you have posted here! :sleep:
For the sake of a few quid/Dollar, you can upgrade to the latest editions. Not like the latest "Tiger Woods" or "Far Cry" game that will set you back £50 or more ($80-90).
Yet still you begrudge helping a small unknown, non rich company that offers you a free server full of free assets and free help on it's free forums by donating a couple of pounds for a FCT. :eek:
Why don't you BUZZ off to Railsim and pay an additional 5 to 20 or more for every single tiny download. You'll soon have a few thousend pounds worth of stuff to complain about.
The guys on here work really hard all of the time, not just when it suits you, but always.
I better stop now as I'm getting annoyed at this free loader.:(
read my previouse quote. I am pissed because I have paid for a first class ticket because I CANNOT download, that is not a donation, that is me paying to get access to download new content. only to find that I am so limited to what I can download that I really wish I hadnt bothered, I am not willing to part with years of work

bp012q1020
November 1st, 2011, 04:13 PM
"This is what I have done"

Okay, and what are you getting when you do that? Are you still getting content listed that's later than TRS2004?

I am getting content that is for trs 2004 but cannot be downloaded due to what ever reason

shaneturner12
November 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
That may be a different issue.

If you are sure that it is TRS2004 content, what errors (if any) are you getting when trying to download content)?

Shane

bp012q1020
November 1st, 2011, 04:16 PM
That may be a different issue.

If you are sure that it is TRS2004 content, what errors (if any) are you getting when trying to download content)?

Shane

The main one I am getting is the download helper just loops around with retrying. every now and again i will get one that warns that assets couldnt be found

shaneturner12
November 1st, 2011, 04:17 PM
Can you try downloading the same assets using the FTP method (click Download Page to access this) and see if you have the same issue?

Shane

Retro00064
November 1st, 2011, 04:18 PM
The repaired DLS cleanup versions of older assets (such as those originally made for TRS2004 and earlier), which are for Trainz Classics or later, obsolete the original, compatible-with-TRS2004-and-earlier versions, thus causing those original versions to not show on the Black Pages unless you search for the KUID directly. No doubt annoying for users of TRS2004 and earlier who have to use the Black Pages, but I believe N3V could care less about TRS2004 and earlier and thus that issue.

Regards,

Retro.

mezzoprezzo
November 1st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Bear in mind that you wonít be able to download any new assets which were uploaded after September 2010 unless you have a more recent version than TRS2006. However, you should be able to download assets uploaded to the DLS prior to that date via the black pages.

BTW, I don't think you're a freeloader. If you've paid for an FCT then you've invested in Auran/N3V as well as buying the original product, albeit possibly at a discount.

TRS2004 isn't a bad version. You'll probably want to move on to a newer version sooner or later, but any version of Trainz is better than none!

Have you tried again since your registration appeared in your banner a short while ago?

Have you submitted a help desk ticket? Although you have an unsupported version, I would be very surprised if you problem would be ignored by the help desk if you have paid for an FCT.

aardvark1
November 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM
I am totally confused.

I replied to...... danielpalfrey.

Then.... bp012q1020 replied.... quoting my post to..... danielpalfrey

Can someone clear this up?

Thanks,

shaneturner12
November 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM
I get this happening quite a bit.

Usually, it's that new users do not create a new thread, instead they post in an existing thread.

It looks like the OP thought you were referring to them.

Shane

mezzoprezzo
November 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM
The repaired DLS cleanup versions of older assets (such as those originally made for TRS2004 and earlier), which are for Trainz Classics or later, obsolete the original, compatible-with-TRS2004-and-earlier versions, thus causing those original versions to not show on the Black Pages unless you search for the KUID directly. No doubt annoying for users of TRS2004 and earlier who have to use the Black Pages ~snip~

Is that definitely, definitely the case?

I was about to buy a six month FCT to tide me over to my next summer break. But if search returns donít work, and I donít know the kuid numbers of what I might be looking for, then there seems little point!:(

bp012q1020
November 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
I am totally confused.

I replied to...... danielpalfrey.

Then.... bp012q1020 replied.... quoting my post to..... danielpalfrey

Can someone clear this up?

Thanks,

Hi, my appolgies, I thought you were posting to me.

bp012q1020
November 1st, 2011, 04:52 PM
Bear in mind that you wonít be able to download any new assets which were uploaded after September 2010 unless you have a more recent version than TRS2006. However, you should be able to download assets uploaded to the DLS prior to that date via the black pages.

BTW, I don't think you're a freeloader. If you've paid for an FCT then you've invested in Auran/N3V as well as buying the original product, albeit possibly at a discount.

TRS2004 isn't a bad version. You'll probably want to move on to a newer version sooner or later, but any version of Trainz is better than none!

Have you tried again since your registration appeared in your banner a short while ago?

Have you submitted a help desk ticket? Although you have an unsupported version, I would be very surprised if you problem would be ignored by the help desk if you have paid for an FCT.

Hi, I just checked with the kids, they brought me this back in 2005 so there wasnt really a huge discount on it. One day I may upgrade, but for now, I have years of fun work in 2004 that I am not willing to part with. A great idea would be some software that will translate 2004 maos to something later.

shaneturner12
November 1st, 2011, 04:54 PM
Most content can be used in later versions (TS2009/TS2010) either as-is or with some fixes applied.

Shane

aardvark1
November 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hi, my appolgies, I thought you were posting to me.

Thanks for the reply. No harm done.

Regards,

RRSignal
November 1st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Hi, I just checked with the kids, they brought me this back in 2005 so there wasnt really a huge discount on it. One day I may upgrade, but for now, I have years of fun work in 2004 that I am not willing to part with. A great idea would be some software that will translate 2004 maos to something later.

Well, if you want 20% off voucher for TS2010, I have one that expires tomorrow night.

Retro00064
November 1st, 2011, 05:18 PM
Is that definitely, definitely the case?

I was about to buy a six month FCT to tide me over to my next summer break. But if search returns donít work, and I donít know the kuid numbers of what I might be looking for, then there seems little point!:(

I yapped about it several months ago: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=74789.

There may still be a fair number of easily-accessible TRS2004-and-earlier assets on the DLS, but keep in mind that the amount of such easily-accessible assets may dwindle as faulty older assets are updated, obsoleting the old versions as I described in my previous post. Note that the DLS Cleanup is apparently only focusing on those assets that are faulty in newer versions of Trainz (e. g., TS2010), so I believe TRS2004-and-earlier assets that are not faulty in newer versions of Trainz are not being updated.

<snip> You'll probably want to move on to a newer version sooner or later....<snip>

;)

meatloaf747
November 1st, 2011, 05:21 PM
read my previouse quote. I am pissed because I have paid for a first class ticket because I CANNOT download, that is not a donation, that is me paying to get access to download new content. only to find that I am so limited to what I can download that I really wish I hadnt bothered, I am not willing to part with years of work

Fair enough...
A simple solution might be to purchase TS2010 and import your "years of work" from TRS2004 into TS2010. I didn't have any problem/s "importing" my routes from 2006 to 2010. (great to read that you are not a freeloader and are helping N3V by having a FCT)...
If you are not sure how to import your route (& contents) into TS2010 then there are plenty of people in this forum that would be only to happy to explain how. Good luck with either downloading content from the DLS to your 2004 or upgrading to 2010.

IMHO, TS2010 is a quantum leap forward compared to TRS2004. I compare it to driving an old Model T Ford on our modern super highways...

Cheers, Mac...

sethmcs
November 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM
I have been working on a major project since 2008 in TRS2004. When I import it into TRS2009 too many assets are broke. Therefore I will keep the route TRS2004. Fortunately I have Gigs of content from everywhere so I can complete the route hopefully sometime within my lifetime.:o Since building detailed routes uses so much computing horse power I run my route on a HP Z-800 workstation that is build for modeling software. I like TRS2004 especially with a lot of computing power behind it. TRS2009 is great too but a lot of older content does not work well with it. I am building a TRS2009 route as well. As for the DLS I don't use it much anymore since the policy change. That's just as well. Keeps the hard drive free from clutter from all the asset I might download and never use.:hehe:

RRSignal
November 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM
I have been working on a major project since 2008 in TRS2004. When I import it into TRS2009 too many assets are broke. Therefore I will keep the route TRS2004. Fortunately I have Gigs of content from everywhere so I can complete the route hopefully sometime within my lifetime.:o Since building detailed routes uses so much computing horse power I run my route on a HP Z-800 workstation that is build for modeling software. I like TRS2004 especially with a lot of computing power behind it. TRS2009 is great too but a lot of older content does not work well with it. I am building a TRS2009 route as well. As for the DLS I don't use it much anymore since the policy change. That's just as well. Keeps the hard drive free from clutter from all the asset I might download and never use.:hehe:

If I had an idea what was broken, i might be able to help. Asset fixes are almost always very simple, falling into a few basic (and easily fixed) categories. Don't get dejected.

H222
November 2nd, 2011, 03:18 AM

will we be seeing any great looking northern Italian Routes in a version later than '04??

Jamie

danielpalfrey
January 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
following the advice given here I upgraded to trainz 2010. My system was a little under powered and so I got it upgraded by my son. It has 512mb onboard graphics, 3.0ghz dual core AMD proccesor and 4gig ddr2.

Yet the game runs so "jumpy" it is actually unplayable... The game has out of date assets, would this be the cause?

sniper297
January 2nd, 2012, 08:07 PM
No, minimum specs call for a Pentium D 3.4ghz dual core, and even the recommended specs are optimistic at best. Turn all the detail sliders down to "YUCK!" and it still runs like a pregnant 3 legged dachshund. Best cure for the stuttering would be a better game engine, since they're not gonna do that we're all gonna have to buy them new solid state hard drives.

RRSignal
January 2nd, 2012, 08:27 PM
I think I know what's wrong, but you have to register your game first. Click the Serial Number link above, right beneath the Trainz ad.

danielpalfrey
January 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
game is registered on my other account. "bp012q1020".
Minimum specs according to the game case is a 3ghz prossesor or any dual core, well considering i have a dual core where each core is 3,0ghz i know my proccessor isn't the issue. The graphics may be the issue, I have already turned all graphics options down and got a tiny improvenment.

RRSignal
January 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
Ah, ok. Yes, I strongly suspect it is the graphics, especially if it's an integrated/shared graphics card. Is this a laptop or desktop?

danielpalfrey
January 2nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
Ah, ok. Yes, I strongly suspect it is the graphics, especially if it's an integrated/shared graphics card. Is this a laptop or desktop?
This is a desktop PC that my son just upgraded for christmas. He used the case to find out what upgrades would be required and since the case says 256 mb graphics he uped it to 512 and thought we might get away with that. Though it now seems (as he has admitted) he could have been wrong. We have a nividea geforce something or another in it along with the AMD proccessor. I am wondering if it is worth getting an ATI graphics card to unlock the AMD vision?

RRSignal
January 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
I'm not an AMD guy, so maybe one can contribute something here, though I highly doubt Trainz would take advantage of any extra capabilities of any specific brand of card. Trainz doesn't even support SLi or Crossfire.

That said, I'd have to know what kind of video card is in there now as well as what size power supply you have in Watts, but as soon as I saw 512mb in your earlier post, I had a feeling you probably had an under-powered graphics card (there are some exceptions, but not many.)

danielpalfrey
January 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
I'm not an AMD guy, so maybe one can contribute something here, though I highly doubt Trainz would take advantage of any extra capabilities of any specific brand of card. Trainz doesn't even support SLi or Crossfire.

That said, I'd have to know what kind of video card is in there now as well as what size power supply you have in Watts, but as soon as I saw 512mb in your earlier post, I had a feeling you probably had an under-powered graphics card (there are some exceptions, but not many.)
nividia geforce7025 is the graphics. alls I can tell you right now about the power supply right now but it was either a 300 or 320watt psu

RRSignal
January 2nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
Hmm, that's integrated graphics, so that's the source of your troubles, but I'm curious to know how he upgraded this...did he replace the whole motherboard, or is there another graphics card actually in there, and perhaps either not hooked up, or may just a way-underpowered one...

In any case, the power supply does not have a margin to use a powerful videocard. If I were upgrading that system, I might pop a GT210 in there, at 30W card, but that's about it. If you feel lucky, you could try to get away with a GT430, which uses about 50W.

danielpalfrey
January 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Hmm, that's integrated graphics, so that's the source of your troubles, but I'm curious to know how he upgraded this...did he replace the whole motherboard, or is there another graphics card actually in there, and perhaps either not hooked up, or may just a way-underpowered one...

In any case, the power supply does not have a margin to use a powerful videocard. If I were upgrading that system, I might pop a GT210 in there, at 30W card, but that's about it. If you feel lucky, you could try to get away with a GT430, which uses about 50W.
New motherboard, new ram and a new proccesor, didn't feel there was need for graphics card at the time. Now realising the mistake. I was thinking about getting this card: http://www.ebuyer.com/322129-sapphire-hd-6770-1gb-dvi-vga-hdmi-pci-e-graphics-card-11189-10-20g

Any advice or feedback here?

Thanks for all the help

sniper297
January 2nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
"Minimum specs according to the game case is a 3ghz prossesor or any dual core" it's in teenytinytype but looking at the specs on mine, it says 3.4, not 3.0.

http://www.auran.com/shop/display_product.php?PID=198

Bottom of that page agrees. In any event, it DOES run on the following specs;

OS: Windows XP Media Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Model: Dell DXP051
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB
Hard Drive: Maxtor 6L160M0 147.8 GB

In OpenGL, all sliders to minimum, 1024x768 16 bit it doesn't run very well, but it does run even tho the CPU is below the minimum specs. However, if I want smoothness I would definitely need to beat the recommended specs by a lot.

JCitron
January 2nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
New motherboard, new ram and a new proccesor, didn't feel there was need for graphics card at the time. Now realising the mistake. I was thinking about getting this card: http://www.ebuyer.com/322129-sapphire-hd-6770-1gb-dvi-vga-hdmi-pci-e-graphics-card-11189-10-20g

Any advice or feedback here?

Thanks for all the help

That's a fairly decent card, Dan.

I went with this one here and have had good results with it.

http://www.ebuyer.com/257136-powercolor-hd-6950-1gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-mini-displayport-pci-e-graphics-ax6950-1gbd5-2dh

John

clam1952
January 2nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
Probably you son increased the shared memory used by the graphics card which would take it from the memory used by the OS and the game so probably cancelling out any gains.

RRSignal
January 2nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
I doubt your power supply will be able to handle that. It requires a minimum 450W as per the manufacturer, and that's cutting it close, not to mention it needs it's own power hookup, which many OEM/low-powered supplies lack. If you want that card, plan on putting in a 600W or better supply in. Also, if you do switch brands, you have to be sure to fully clean out any nVidia drivers.

FYI, AMD cards tend to be a bit better power-wise than nVidia but in this case, there's no avoiding a PSU upgrade if you want a powerhouse card. And the AMD Vision stuff is just marketing hype, nor is there any advantage to using an ATI card with your AMD setup.

danielpalfrey
January 2nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
"Minimum specs according to the game case is a 3ghz prossesor or any dual core" it's in teenytinytype but looking at the specs on mine, it says 3.4, not 3.0.

http://www.auran.com/shop/display_product.php?PID=198

Bottom of that page agrees. In any event, it DOES run on the following specs;

OS: Windows XP Media Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Model: Dell DXP051
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB
Hard Drive: Maxtor 6L160M0 147.8 GB

In OpenGL, all sliders to minimum, 1024x768 16 bit it doesn't run very well, but it does run even tho the CPU is below the minimum specs. However, if I want smoothness I would definitely need to beat the recommended specs by a lot.
Just checked and I oh you an appology, it does say 3.4ghz or any dual core. even so I have 3.0ghs each core. so thats surley is enough to run the game (with the right graphics card) at a decent display setting

danielpalfrey
January 2nd, 2012, 09:43 PM
I doubt your power supply will be able to handle that. It requires a minimum 450W as per the manufacturer, and that's cutting it close, not to mention it needs it's own power hookup, which many OEM/low-powered supplies lack. If you want that card, plan on putting in a 600W or better supply in. Also, if you do switch brands, you have to be sure to fully clean out any nVidia drivers.

FYI, AMD cards tend to be a bit better power-wise than nVidia but in this case, there's no avoiding a PSU upgrade if you want a powerhouse card. And the AMD Vision stuff is just marketing hype, nor is there any advantage to using an ATI card with your AMD setup.
I have just spoken to my son and he has informed me that when he first built this system he built it with upgrades in mind and so would have fitted a minimum of a 450watt power pack, but he'll check tomorow so we can know for sure.
And on a read up there is a 4 pin molex plug to 6 pin plug converter included, I know i have a few spare molex cables in there. just need to know the power rating.

RRSignal
January 2nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
Just checked and I oh you an appology, it does say 3.4ghz or any dual core. even so I have 3.0ghs each core. so thats surley is enough to run the game (with the right graphics card) at a decent display setting

Yeah, don't worry too much about the raw CPU speed. I'm guessing you upgraded to a Phenom - that's a good chip. Of course, ideally you want the fastest CPU but don't sweat that, I'd take a 3.0 Phenom over a 3.4 Pentium D any day.

danielpalfrey
January 2nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah, don't worry too much about the raw CPU speed. I'm guessing you upgraded to a Phenom - that's a good chip. Of course, ideally you want the fastest CPU but don't sweat that, I'd take a 3.0 Phenom over a 3.4 Pentium D any day.
My son swears by AMD proccessors. Havent actually got a clue what he put in it. I think it was an athlon 2 but dont hold me to that

danielpalfrey
January 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
My son swears by AMD proccessors. Havent actually got a clue what he put in it. I think it was an athlon 2 but dont hold me to that
Just a little more info. It's a 520watt PSU in my computer

American_Connections
January 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM

But not to pay those that acually made them?

RRSignal
January 3rd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Just a little more info. It's a 520watt PSU in my computer

What brand of power supply, can you find out? You can safely add the video card you mentioned, though I wouldn't add in a lot of extra drives or whatnot. Even 520W isn't really that much in this day and age and if it's an iffy brand

danielpalfrey
January 3rd, 2012, 05:25 PM
What brand of power supply, can you find out? You can safely add the video card you mentioned, though I wouldn't add in a lot of extra drives or whatnot. Even 520W isn't really that much in this day and age and if it's an iffy brand
The brand is currently unknown, the manufactures sticker is wearing thin and the brand isn't visible

danielpalfrey
January 4th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Ok, well, I have a new graphics card on the way, It should be here later. I went with the one I posted earlier. 1GB with high bus speeds and it has imaculate feedback for high performance games, that was the cherry on the topping on the cake for me. good reviews from hardcore gamers playing hardcore games that require more than what I need

RRSignal
January 4th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Sweet. Just remember that thing I mentioned about cleaning out the drivers. I mean use a program like CCleaner if you need to...seems a lot of people get tripped up on the driver issues. And don't be surprised if the game runs a lot better in DirectX versus OpenGL. Good luck and let us know how the new card works with Trainz.

BLACKWATCH
January 4th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I mean use a program like CCleaner if you need to

Using that program can be a minefield, it will cough up loads of files that it thinks are deletable, but unless you are a computer program genius, you could well delete files that you need for other stuff on your machine, using ccleaner means that you have to KNOW which files you DON'T need.

danielpalfrey
January 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Sweet. Just remember that thing I mentioned about cleaning out the drivers. I mean use a program like CCleaner if you need to...seems a lot of people get tripped up on the driver issues. And don't be surprised if the game runs a lot better in DirectX versus OpenGL. Good luck and let us know how the new card works with Trainz.
Drivers are uninstalled, my sons extinsive knowledge meant he did everything manually without use of a program. The new card works wonders. Graphics set to highest settings and no a single sign of jumps. The son set it up to run with directX as it was. We noticed that in 2004 we got better results using directX and assumed the same would happen here.

Thanks for all the help

cascaderailroad
January 4th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Using that program can be a minefield, it will cough up loads of files that it thinks are deletable, but unless you are a computer program genius, you could well delete files that you need for other stuff on your machine, using ccleaner means that you have to KNOW which files you DON'T need.
Lots of cleaners and PC registry cleanup apps out there do more harm, than they do good.

I had Threatfire Antivirus, and it wanted to automaticly delete programs that it deemed a threat ... but they were NOT a threat at all

danielpalfrey
January 5th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Ok my son wants to know if there is any information available about making content for trainz? He uses 3dsMax for most of his 3d work, but is willing to learn something new if need be. Thank you for any responses.

RRSignal
January 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM
See this thread (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=79564&highlight=3dsmax+exporter) for the exporters appropriate to his version of 3DS. 3DS is fine. I know very little (the last version I tinkered with was 4 or 5) but it's what the Auran team uses, I believe. If he has any specific questions, they might be on that Wiki, or in the Content Creator's forum.

angelah
January 6th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Okay, now for my bit.
I run 2004, 2006, TC3 and 2010. I can still get the OLD 2004 content because I bought a FCT from Auran/N3V plus all the NEW content for the later versions.
I count that as a bargain, all the assets that were ever made and placed on the DS, what's wrong with that.
And I create assets too for both 2004 and TC3 (and therefore 2010, I don't know about 1012 as I don't have it) and still upload, 2004 to the TPR site and TC3 to the DS.
So it is still possible to get older content, older as in the config is for earlier versions of Trainz, by going to other sites and how hard is that?
Come September no more TC3 content will be accepted for the DS so I am not sure what I will do after that date as yet, maybe just support the TPR site?
My FCT is due to expire at the end of January 2012 and I will be replacing it, still the best way for me to be able to access the Trainz Download Station and check old content if necessary.
Parts of my UK WCL routes used content of that period as do very many of the routes included on 2010 CDs sold by N3V so it is not pratical for them to take those off their DS. I expect that one day things will change when newer version routes are put on the CD and older ones taken off, but maybe not just yet.

Angela

angelah
January 6th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Okay, now for my bit.
I run 2004, 2006, TC3 and 2010. I can still get the OLD 2004 content because I bought a FCT from Auran/N3V plus all the NEW content for the later versions.
I count that as a bargain, all the assets that were ever made and placed on the DS, what's wrong with that.
And I create assets too for both 2004 and TC3 (and therefore 2010, I don't know about 1012 as I don't have it) and still upload, 2004 to the TPR site and TC3 to the DS.
So it is still possible to get older content, older as in the config is for earlier versions of Trainz, by going to other sites and how hard is that?
Come September no more TC3 content will be accepted for the DS so I am not sure what I will do after that date as yet, maybe just support the TPR site?
My FCT is due to expire at the end of January 2012 and I will be replacing it, still the best way for me to be able to access the Trainz Download Station and check old content if necessary.
Parts of my UK WCL routes used content of that period as do very many of the routes included on 2010 CDs sold by N3V so it is not pratical for them to take those off their DS. I expect that one day things will change when newer version routes are put on the CD and older ones taken off, but maybe not just yet.

Angela

Kris94
January 6th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Maybe you need to wake and realize that if you were to delete all the TRS2004 and TRS2006 content you would have thousands of missing assets and you use content from older versions and I know I do to and some of it is really good.

So your smart mouth comments and insults are not needed. And you're acting like a grissler because instead of being calm and just saying that if you want faster downloads then you might want to consider paying a few extra bucks but instead have to act immature.

Plus I can still download things for older versions of trainz but it might be slow but nonetheless able to but to get faster content yes you have to pay it's been a while since I last used TRS2004 and TRS2006 because the computer I have isn't very fond of those games and doesn't work as great with TS2009 although I have more freedom with this game then others but nonetheless those are classics.

Plus you don't have to pay to sign up, at least I didn't. And I think they are referring to the FCT. Yes newer versions have come out but people still have older versions for multiple reasons and maybe they have the latest ones.

And what about the people who spent all that time creating content for Trainz that me and others greatly enjoy?! That's a slap in the face and inconsiderate!!

I'm trying not be the one adding fuel to the fire but I've had enough of the constant bashing. We should get along, not fight and bicker. I've learned the hard way after being banned for two weeks and i'm trying to keep you from making the same mistakes I made because there's an article of a fellow rail-fan who committed suicide for being bullied and bashed which is what you're doing. If the thread gets closed, then it's on me, but come on seriously?

I hate this stuff and now I see why people are as sensitive as they are and the mods more strict because of these comments and responses, I could see if they're being rude and disrespectful to you or have personal issues and would like to rant privately but not out in public where others have to stand the stench of of dirty laundry.

angelah
January 6th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Sorry about the 2 posts. My PC hung on me and I did a refresh when the post did upload. It seems it did in the first place as well but after about 5 minutes waiting for the post to be accepted and having nothing happen I thought it had hung.

Angela

RRSignal
January 6th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Maybe you need to wake and realize that if you were to delete all the TRS2004 and TRS2006 content you would have thousands of missing assets and you use content from older versions and I know I do to and some of it is really good.

Perhaps YOU need to wake up and realize that you're replying to a post from August. Once again, you're stirring a pot that has long since simmered.

Kris94
January 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Well wake up and realize that doesn't give you the right to say such things. If I did that I would've gotten banned.

RRSignal
January 6th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Well wake up and realize that doesn't give you the right to say such things. If I did that I would've gotten banned.

Nimec said nothing offensive and didn't attack anybody directly. YOU initiated a personal attack, however.

FYI, I do disagree with nimec's position on DLS content, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to state his position.

Kris94
January 6th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Nimec, I think you've gone a bit overboard with that post, not to mention being mildly offensive. The OP's post doesn't require an answer full of sarcasm or expletives.

Well PFX says otherwise and by saying are you from Hollywood is an insult because you're calling them divas, selfish, lazy and gimme pigs, and self-conceited. And it does give me the right to state his position because after as many people have attacked my and my state of position I can do the same. And I can pull it up for you if need be even though some of the people removed them so they can get away with it.