PDA

View Full Version : Why No Compressed Data Downloads?

Zapata935
August 10th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I guess, that compressed data downloads take a squiff of the time that these, greasy weasels at Planet Auran want you to spend on-line! I can imagine a couple of Aussie's on a yacht moored in Sydney harbour watching how many idiots buy FCT's. I bet they cry with laughter at the stupidity of morons buying FCT. For Christ sake stop buying First Class Tickets!

johnwhelan
August 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I guess, that compressed data downloads take a squiff of the time that these, greasy weasels at Planet Auran want you to spend on-line! I can imagine a couple of Aussie's on a yacht moored in Sydney harbour watching how many idiots buy FCT's. I bet they cry with laughter at the stupidity of morons buying FCT. For Christ sake stop buying First Class Tickets!

Occasionally I use 64 bit .7z to compress a .cdp I'm sending out for testing I don't see any significant compression when I do and .7z usually does a better job than .zip.

I've seen a .cdp file be smaller than some of the larger files in the asset folder by the way.

Personally I'm happy with a FCT but I see you have TS2009 so maybe willing to put up with slower speed downloads and other limitations. I think at one time a copy of Trainz purchased retail would give Auran around $7. Given the retail cost of TS2009 these days is around $7 the amount is probably less. Not a lot to pay for the DLS servers, besides programmers and other expenses.

Cheerio John

Dermmy
August 10th, 2011, 03:32 PM
The cdp format file you download from the DLS IS a compressed file. It varies a bit but generally a cdp runs about 10-15% filesize of the asset file once installed. Compressing the same raw asset to zip or rar is no smaller than cdp, sometimes bigger. Compressing a cdp to rar or zip makes no appreciable difference to the download size. I know all this because I have some huge cdps on my site and if I could make the download smaller I would. I pay for the bandwidth.

Also the FCT sold by the 'greasy weasels' (get a life) is TIME based, not volume based. Like me, if it were possible to cut bandwidth it would be in THEIR interest as much as yours.

Maybe a bit of homework would be in order before your next troll...

Andy :wave:

RRSignal
August 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM

You're right, I'm sure they enjoy greatly paying extra bandwidth costs. Why pay 10 cents per gigabyte when you can pay 20?

Oh, yeah, CDP does compress. Typically a little better than 50% for a large asset.

rjhowie
August 10th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Hardly an earth shattering cause I would think nor the need for the language (and blaspheming) to describe Auran Staff who bring us this great hobby. Don't mind the moan but could have been phrased better?

Satyr
August 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM

G'day,

I guess you got an axe to grind:p.
BTW, the weather in Sidney is lousy at the moment, it's still winter over here..
Now go and sit in the corner and write a thousand times "I will NOT abuse the Auran staff".

Have a good one,
E.C.

Zapata935
August 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I appreciate the above comments, but this is where I stand. If highly talented individuals are creating content for free, uploading it without payment on good will! Why should Auran profit! Are they constantly boosting their server capacity, The answer is no, they are taking the p**s out of that by offering downloads at a couple of Kb a second. Buy a first class ticket and you may get a dozen kb a second! If they were sharing out the divi to the above said talented creators of extra content, I would be all in favour of that. As for getting a life and CDP's, where are Auran hiding them, because I have never found any of them yet to download! Unless you open your wallet of course! Back to two Aussies on a yacht! Best Wishes Zapata935

lorenw
August 11th, 2011, 02:46 PM
With a fct I get at least 350 kbps download speed. Check your facts before you start a rant!

Zapata935
August 11th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Rant yes, factually based, why don't you check out some of the download speed complaints on the general trainz board! Best Wishes Zapata935

aardvark1
August 11th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I appreciate the above comments, but this is where I stand. If highly talented individuals are creating content for free, uploading it without payment on good will! Why should Auran profit! Are they constantly boosting their server capacity, The answer is no, they are taking the p**s out of that by offering downloads at a couple of Kb a second. Buy a first class ticket and you may get a dozen kb a second! If they were sharing out the divi to the above said talented creators of extra content, I would be all in favour of that. As for getting a life and CDP's, where are Auran hiding them, because I have never found any of them yet to download! Unless you open your wallet of course! Back to two Aussies on a yacht! Best Wishes Zapata935

Words that would work with.... p**s

pacs pads pals pams pans paps pars pash pass pats paws pays peas pecs

peds pegs pens pets pics pies pigs pins pips pits plus pods pots pows

pros pubs pugs puns pups puts and one obvious 4 letter word.

Probably more that would work.

Have fun,

Dermmy
August 11th, 2011, 03:34 PM
...As for getting a life and CDP's, where are Auran hiding them, because I have never found any of them yet to download...

Then I have absolutely no idea what you are on about, or you have in fact never used the DLS because EVERY single DLS download is packed to cdp. There is NO alternative download format. None.

And with a FCT any unreasonable speed restriction is at your end, not theirs.

You still need to do your homework...

RRSignal
August 11th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Dear Zapata-

May I suggest you put your money where your mouth is and set up your own free DLS mirror and offer the QoS your claim Auran should offer? You'll need servers, and ISP, security and monitoring service, a database admin, etc. There are many knowledgeable and experienced members of this community who I'm sure would be happy to help and, while I cannot speak for them, I would consider offering my services at a discount. You can email me through the boards and we'll get this ball rolling! Thanks.

johnwhelan
August 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Dear Zapata-

May I suggest you put your money where your mouth is and set up your own free DLS mirror and offer the QoS your claim Auran should offer? You'll need servers, and ISP, security and monitoring service, a database admin, etc. There are many knowledgeable and experienced members of this community who I'm sure would be happy to help and, while I cannot speak for them, I would consider offering my services at a discount. You can email me through the boards and we'll get this ball rolling! Thanks.

Or a generous donation to TPR might be cheaper. Setting up servers isn't cheap nor is the bandwidth in the sort of volumes required.

Cheerio John

backyard
August 11th, 2011, 06:36 PM

:cool: Yea, blame it on the rich...

And, can the "Best Wishes" crap, by your hateful words you will never convince us that your here to help...:hehe: