PDA

View Full Version : Is 'Updating database' really necessary?

rastis
July 18th, 2011, 06:39 AM
G'day! :wave:

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before on the forum, but do we really need this irritating 'Updating Database' window that pops up every now and again when launching CMP or Trainz? It seems pretty pointless to me. It doesn't appear to fix anything either. No other previous Trainz games appear to have this annoying little pest. What is it's purpose? To annoy the hell out of Trainz users? :hehe:

So guys, tell me what it is about. I've been waiting 4 hours to play Trainz, and this parasite still hasn't finished.

Cheers! :)

Jake.

shaneturner12
July 18th, 2011, 08:18 AM
If that is appearing, then it is usually user error.

That only appears if TADDaemon is closed forcefully, either by user action or by shutting down a system too early.

Shane

HiBaller
July 18th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Shane, I've had that message pop up EVERY time I start 2006. It is annoying, wastes time, and definitely does not allow me to go rapidly from Surveyor, to CM, and back to Surveyor. It can be stopped by hitting the Escape key. My computers stay on 24/7 so shutting down isn't on the table.

What's really annoying is for 2006 to take five minutes "verifying my username and password" when I'm already logged into 2009 or 2010 at the time. And, usually, when it finally makes that pop-up go away, I'm told it never heard of me and I have to mess with the Internet tab of CM - putting in the same information that was already there - to finally get connected.

Bill

shaneturner12
July 18th, 2011, 09:42 AM
TRS2006 was particularly known for that issue, which is why I use TS2009.

Not sure if SP1 fixed that issue.

Shane

HiBaller
July 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM
It didn't. :(

Bill

shaneturner12
July 18th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I remember seeing somewhere that TRS2006 had major reliability issues.

I think the 'Updating Asset Database' had something to do with the Planet Auran login process.

As I do not use TRS2006 much nowadays, it's difficult to check.

Shane

bolivar
July 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM
There is a neat little program called TAD Monitor which has fixed the problem for me with TRS2006 Check it out on Google. As for taking a long time to start up, HiBaller, I simply disconnect from the internet, 06 opens as quickly as it used to, before the changes with access at DLS.

HiBaller
July 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM
"Simply disconnect from the Internet" is not a very good alternative because to do so would take quite a while. I would have to go to my Network connections and actually kill the connection. Doing so just so one program can run "normally" shouldn't have to happen.

I have noted that TADDaemon tries to connect to the Internet even if the connection isn't there. The Daemon takes the same length of time to find out that there is NO connection as it does to find out that I'm "not in the database". This shouldn't happen, but it does.

As I said, I can be actually logged in and downloading in both 2009 and 2010 when I try to start up 2006. 2006 fails, stating I'm not known. So, I have a delay regardless.

Bill

JCitron
July 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
With TRS2006 you can simply hit ESC to cancel the update process.

With TRS2009 and up, the updating process is faster and far less intrusive.

John

HiBaller
July 18th, 2011, 10:15 PM
That's what I said in post #3; it works.

Bill

JCitron
July 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM
That's what I said in post #3; it works.

Bill

I read it too, and then I got a telephone call...:o

John