PDA

View Full Version : Help! I have paid for the new Trainz 12 It doesn't work

bryankendall
July 2nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Hello to one and all.
Help! I have paid for the new TRAINZ 12. But, it doesn't work. I am frustrated .......:(and disappointed.

I successfully downloaded all the five .bin files. I have successfully downloaded the one .exe file. But, when I attempted to install these .bin files my computer would not recognize them. The .exe file doesn't recognize the .bin files. What a mess! :o

There is no instruction on how to get this TRAINZ 12 game to install. Why? I am completely unfamiliar with .bin files. Why is this so complex? Installing a game I paid for should be simple. Does one need to be a software engineer to install the program? Very poor! Shame on you Tranz! :(

I would appreciate any help.:'(God bless you.

Cordially,
bryan
Texas

clam1952
July 2nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Firstly if Win 7 or Vista you must do everything for Trainz as administrator, that's setup install patch and run. Admin account alone won't work.

If not that did you use as recommended a download manager?
Recommended one is http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm Downloading large files with a browser often ends up with corrupt files as they do not resume or check the whole file is received.

So you may need to download again using a download manager and check the file sizes against the list in the TS12 forum, http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=71622

Need to register your serial number using the serial number link at the top of the forum to gain access to the whole of the forum

Deano5
July 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hello,
If you got all the files ok, then it is a problem on your side. It's no good blaming all the Trans as gender has nothing to do with it :hehe:.
What OS are you using and did you make sure you had administrator rights to run the files?
Where did you download too and where did you attempt to load the files?
Is your security stopping the install?

Euphod
July 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Does one need to be a software engineer to install the program?

What....you missed that part? In the fine print when you agree to download it specifically insists that you download the program with the understanding that you're a software engineer! Clam and Deano and I are, and so is everyone else here; it's a regular nerd convention!

Okay, just joking. There's a wealth of information here and I'm sure if you take a look you'll find your solution. Did you put all the files in same folder? Are you installing as administrator? Post back with your PC and OS specs, and we'll get you going!

C'mon, you're from Texas, and Texas don't have no quitters! Just steers and...:hehe:

bryankendall
July 2nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Thank you. I registered my serial number. I am completely puzzled by why this should be so complex. I am mystified to why I must spend hours trying to understand something which is very simple - downloading a game I paid for. I have downloaded/installed 100s of files/programs over the past 25 years and have never heard of this level of difficulty.

I have Windows 7 64 bit OS with an i7 processor and 8 gig ram and 2 terabites hard drive with a Coolermaster V12 cooler and a state of the art video card with one gig on board. The monitor, power supply, etc is state of the art.

There are no security or virus issues.

Why would I need Administrators privileges to install files? How do I get administrators privileges?. Why o why would I need a "download manager software" to download these files? Never heard of this.

Why does my PC not recognize these .bin files? Where are the cue files? I see none. The .exe file starts up fine and then looks for the CD of the software - and does not recognize the downloaded .bin files. Very odd, indeed.

Exactly where was I supposed to download to?

Lets try this again. Please assume I am not knowing anything . How do I install these .bin files? How do I get the software to install? Please explain it to me step by step.

I installed the software "free download manager.org". How do I get it to work?

Explain everything in a very simple manner, please.........

Thank you.
bryan

bryankendall
July 2nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Oh, you're a funny one. Hardy, har, har! Go drink a beer, partner.:hehe:

Also. I have Office Professional 2010 - 64 bit, LG Super Multi Blu Ray burner, Geoforce 9800 GT video card with one gig ram, two Western Digital 1 tera byte hard drives, ASUS P6T Motherboard, ANTEC 1000 watt Power Supply, Nero 9 software.

I built it.

tryin' bryan
Texas

mrscsi
July 2nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Thank you. I registered my serial number. I am completely puzzled by why this should be so complex. I am mystified to why I must spend hours trying to understand something which is very simple - downloading a game I paid for. I have downloaded/installed 100s of files/programs over the past 25 years and have never heard of this level of difficulty.

I have Windows 7 64 bit OS with an i7 processor and 8 gig ram and 2 terabites hard drive with a Coolermaster V12 cooler and a state of the art video card with one gig on board. The monitor, power supply, etc is state of the art.

There are no security or virus issues.

Why would I need Administrators privileges to install files? How do I get administrators privileges?. Why o why would I need a "download manager software" to download these files? Never heard of this.

Why does my PC not recognize these .bin files? Where are the cue files? I see none. The .exe file starts up fine and then looks for the CD of the software - and does not recognize the downloaded .bin files. Very odd, indeed.

Exactly where was I supposed to download to?

Lets try this again. Please assume I am not knowing anything . How do I install these .bin files? How do I get the software to install? Please explain it to me step by step.

I installed the software "free download manager.org". How do I get it to work?

Explain everything in a very simple manner, please.........

Thank you.
bryan

Because Windows 7 requires administrator access (write access) when installing some files especially when putting it in the program files folders which the game defaults to.

There are no cue files because these are not disc images.

You need to put them all into a directory such as my documents or downloads, something that you have access to. Make sure they're all there including the setup.exe, then right-click on the setup.exe and select "run as administrator"

Then follow the prompts…

If none of the files are corrupted it will install without a problem.

I've installed TS12 probably 20 times (replaced a motherboard, re-imaged the machine, testing various installation of older content) and it's worked flawlessly every time doing it as described above.

clam1952
July 2nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
Win7 will not let you save data to Program Files unless you run as administrator, MS in their infinite wisdom decided data should be kept in the user folders. Trainz doesn't work that way, so you need to install as administrator or install in a folder not controlled by Redmond.....

The download problem, they are very large files, just a tiny interruption in your connection which happens with any ISP and you wouldn't notice is enough to loose a few bytes of the file which renders it useless.

As said the bin extension is used for things other than disk images and was so long before CD's existed.......... many file extensions have multiple purposes depending on the program they are associated with.

Free down load manager integrates with IE, right click on the download link and select download with free download manager.

To run as Administrator, simply right click on the file and select "Run this program as Administrator" or to make it permanent for a program, select it's icon right click, select properties, Compatibility, tick "Run this program as administrator", Apply OK.

ModelerMJ
July 2nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Interesting conversation. I wonder if there are different variants of Windows 7 involved here?

I have Home Premium 64-bit and just installed Trainz 12 this evening. All I did was double click on the setup.exe file (I had that plus the 5 .bin files in a folder I made), then answered 'Yes' when User Account Control asked if I wanted to allow the program to make changes to my computer. I did not right-click and say 'Run as Administrator' (yes, I do know that option exists, and I don't mean to imply that is not the right thing to do).

After that the installer ran like any other program and completed with no issues. Once I (also) installed DX9, everything worked like a champ.

As far as instructions go: On the download page for the 'setup.exe' file, it (I think) pretty clearly indicates to download and run that file to start the installation. Of course, if you are clicking through quickly, which is not uncommon, I suppose it would also be easy to miss seeing that.

mrscsi
July 2nd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Interesting conversation. I wonder if there are different variants of Windows 7 involved here?

I have Home Premium 64-bit and just installed Trainz 12 this evening. All I did was double click on the setup.exe file (I had that plus the 5 .bin files in a folder I made), then answered 'Yes' when User Account Control asked if I wanted to allow the program to make changes to my computer. I did not right-click and say 'Run as Administrator' (yes, I do know that option exists, and I don't mean to imply that is not the right thing to do).

After that the installer ran like any other program and completed with no issues. Once I (also) installed DX9, everything worked like a champ.

As far as instructions go: On the download page for the 'setup.exe' file, it (I think) pretty clearly indicates to download and run that file to start the installation. Of course, if you are clicking through quickly, which is not uncommon, I suppose it would also be easy to miss seeing that.

It's not uncommon for it to work perfectly the way you described. But as a general rule of thumb not knowing whether or not they are on a system that their parents locked down, it's normally better to advise the user that if it is not installing properly to install as an administrator.

ModelerMJ
July 3rd, 2011, 07:40 AM
It's not uncommon for it to work perfectly the way you described. But as a general rule of thumb not knowing whether or not they are on a system that their parents locked down, it's normally better to advise the user that if it is not installing properly to install as an administrator.

You're absolutely right, and your advice was perfectly correct. It's great that people with experience are so willing to help others here, and the breadth of knowledge is amazing -- I've already found many answers to my own questions in existing posts, without even having to ask.

mrscsi
July 3rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
You're absolutely right, and your advice was perfectly correct. It's great that people with experience are so willing to help others here, and the breadth of knowledge is amazing -- I've already found many answers to my own questions in existing posts, without even having to ask.

We try or at least I do anyway. Most times there are 10 or 15 people who beat me to it :hehe:

But yes in 10 years of running trainz I have never put in a single help desk ticket I have found EVERY answer to EVERY problem I have ever had right here on the forums...