PDA

View Full Version : Removing Catenaries

Mick_Berg
June 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
I'm trying to find a way to get rid of all the catenary in my steam version of ECML. With apologies to whoever spent hours putting it all in!

Firstly, is there a way to change the layer of all instances of an asset? That would be the best, just put all the catenary on its own layer and make it invisible. But changing the catenary posts one at a time is a pain.

Unable to find a way to do that, I tried to make the texture of the catenary posts transparent. Very crude, and messing with a built-in asset which I know is a Bad Thing.
I thought I had done it in PSP, but now the posts are bright red! They look terrible! How do you make a transparent texture?
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

4ndylloyd
June 2nd, 2011, 05:41 PM
Mick,

I have done similar by cloning a catenary asset and then using a graphic editor to make it bright pink. Change the name of your cloned asset to something like 'pink post' Use the replace tool to replace all of the existing catenary posts (you can do similar for the wires) and put 'pink post' in their place. Save the route and close. Delete your 'pink post' from Content Manager and when you next open the route the posts will be shown as missing. Use the 'Delete missing assets' option to get rid of the references to your pink posts. By using this method you are not messing with the built in assets.

Andy

Mick_Berg
June 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Mick,

I have done similar by cloning a catenary asset and then using a graphic editor to make it bright pink. Change the name of your cloned asset to something like 'pink post' Use the replace tool to replace all of the existing catenary posts (you can do similar for the wires) and put 'pink post' in their place. Save the route and close. Delete your 'pink post' from Content Manager and when you next open the route the posts will be shown as missing. Use the 'Delete missing assets' option to get rid of the references to your pink posts. By using this method you are not messing with the built in assets.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I have heard of this method before, but I think there might be a problem in that "Replace Assets" won't work on the catenaries, as they are splines. But I will give it a go, as you say you have done it successfully.
Thanks,
Mick.

Deano5
June 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
I don't quite understand why you won't just delete the catenary in a route layer, it really would not take that long to do, plus you could always use it again in it's original layer. Surely that is easier than trying what you have mentioned?

4ndylloyd
June 3rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Mick,

You are right about this being a problem :o . I have just tried it with Midshire and the catenary used in that route cant be replaced because it is tagged as being a bridge or tunnel. I have successfully used the method elsewhere though where catenary did not have this tag. Looks like it will be Deano5's suggestion of 'delete' :eek:

Andy

Mick_Berg
June 4th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I don't quite understand why you won't just delete the catenary in a route layer, it really would not take that long to do, plus you could always use it again in it's original layer. Surely that is easier than trying what you have mentioned?
This is the ECML and there is tons of catenary. Moving each and every post and wire, one at a time, to a separate layer would take ages. Remember that you can't move things to a different layer globally. What I have done is changed the catenary objects' kind from "track" to "scenery" and now I can do a "replace Assets" to a almost null scenery object I have made. However this is not a perfect solution as I have altered built-in assets. If I revert the assets to original I guess they would all just pop back up again.

Mick Berg.