PDA

View Full Version : portal question.

hotgrove
June 2nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
i have never used a portal before......tried one on a test board and got nowhere.

Simple question.....how do they work ?

4ndylloyd
June 2nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
It all depends on what you want to do with it ? The iportal can send a train through 'cyberspace' to a new portal, the basic portal can generate new trains for a route and also consume trains. The iportal can do this also mind. I use tham on my routes to act like a fiddle yard. I can send a train already on the route into a prtal for it to gat taken off the route or 'consumed' and portals can also generate new trains to send back into the route. As I type this I remember that a portal can consume a train and then some time later re-issue it back to the route.

What is it that you are trying to do?

Andy

hotgrove
June 2nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
It all depends on what you want to do with it ? The iportal can send a train through 'cyberspace' to a new portal, the basic portal can generate new trains for a route and also consume trains. The iportal can do this also mind. I use tham on my routes to act like a fiddle yard. I can send a train already on the route into a prtal for it to gat taken off the route or 'consumed' and portals can also generate new trains to send back into the route. As I type this I remember that a portal can consume a train and then some time later re-issue it back to the route.

What is it that you are trying to do?

Andy

I was thinking of having maybe freight passing through a route back and forth at certain time levels as an added feature.....can this be done ?

sniper297
June 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Yep.

http://trains.0catch.com/Tut7-IntroToPortals.htm

I got a route in progress with a beta out currently;

http://www.humyo.com/FChMvwQ/beta6.cdp?a=rEi_XDDsj5g

Spawning passenger and freight trains from a dozen or so different portals at set intervals. Main problem with multiple tracks is trying to get them to not interfere with each other, for that you need trackmarks and navigate via instructions. I would advise making a simple test route first with one spawn portal, one destination portal, one spur coming off the mainline to set the player train so you can observe how they work.

sniper297
June 2nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Almost forgot, the above is part of a tutorial set;

http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html

Which covers track laying, signals, and AI traffic stuff.

4ndylloyd
June 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Yes, this is easy if you use a double track route. Place two portals at each end of your route and click the '?' on the buildings tab and then click onto one of the portals to open its properties box. This should be a portal which can deliver a train in the direction of travel. You will see tick boxes for 'Produce new trains'.

Click on 'Produce new trains' and then click on 'add consist' Use the brown/beige dialogue box that opens to make up your train by clicking on the circular plus icon to open up the train car list. Add a driver to your train and then add driver commands. If you are using 'Portal Basic' your portals will be know as 'Portal Basic 1' and 'Portal Basic 2' etc up to 'Portal Basic 4' by default. Use your driver commands to set the train to navigate to the alternate portal on the other end of that track. Set your time delay for producing new trains and in the portals that your train is heading towards make sure that 'Consume trains' is ticked. Set up a train and driver commands in the other portal with a driver command to send the train to the alternate portal for that particular direction of travel. When you open the route in driver a train will be produced by each of your delivery portals and they will travel to the 'ending' portals and be consumed. If you set the time delay to 5 mins then after that duration the portals will produce the same train again. If you want to add extra trains then use the 'add consisit' for each new train that you want to create. You can chose to have these sent out by the portals in order or in random order

Portals are great when you get them set up

Andy

hotgrove
June 2nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Thank you kindly for this .....still looks a bit daunting to me but i will give it a go.

I appreciate the help.......cheers.

hotgrove
June 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
I set that up on a test board and it worked :)

just two questions.....i take it rather than having 2 portals at either end of a route....one at either end would work too ?

Also when the trains appeared from the portals the speed appeared to be erratic.....speeding up and slowing down outwith my control ?

However.....thanks for the help.

drphlox
June 3rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
Simply put, Speedy thing goes in, Speedy thing comes out!

mind though, that you don't put a portal on the moon - it will suck all the air out of the atmosphere!!!!:p :p :p :eek: :eek: :D :D

drphlox

4ndylloyd
June 3rd, 2011, 06:15 AM
I set that up on a test board and it worked :)

just two questions.....i take it rather than having 2 portals at either end of a route....one at either end would work too ?

Also when the trains appeared from the portals the speed appeared to be erratic.....speeding up and slowing down outwith my control ?

However.....thanks for the help.

One at either end will work but if its single track you dont want both portals to produce trains at the same time otherwise they will meet in the middle. Speed is affected by signals so your test route may not have had proper signals which would effect the speed of trains produced by portals because the portal will produce it at a set speed but when it clears the portal and gets into your route proper it will slow due to a lack of signalling, trains also have to be completely clear of the portal before they can be given driver commands, you can set driver commands to trains before they are produced by portals and they will carry on as instructed once the portal delivers them to the route

Andy

hotgrove
June 3rd, 2011, 06:36 AM
Tks.....that's cleared it up for me.
tks for those links sniper.

I should have asked about this months ago.
Trainz really is a slow learning process........i'm getting there.

danny5
June 3rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Iportals work good in that you can set a time for them to emit a train,and you can emit them at anytime you want before then.
Using iportals also you can changed them while in driver.
Using the panel selector rule you can make changes as to witch iportal you want the train to come out of.
(if a train go in to iportal 1 and you have it come out iportal 2 and the next time it go into iportal 1 you can change it to come out iportal 3/4/5/or6)all while in driver.
Now in TS12 you can't send trains to another person via the internet you must set them up WITHIN THIS PC.