PDA

View Full Version : 2006 easy to Back up. How for 2010?

jules22
May 2nd, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hi there

What is the best and easiest way to back up my 2010 work?

With 2006 it was as easy as copying the local + tdx files storing them on a separate drive and, in the event of a crash, just replacing them after a new install.

Your advice please?

Thanks

Jules

RRSignal
May 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
I just back up the whole program directory. I can run the backup in-place (though that's obviously not recommended as it defeats the purpose of backing up) or I can run a copy of the backup, which is what I actually do. You can redefine the CDP & CDP2 file associations easily enough if you want them; the trains:// protocol handler is defined in your web browser, but isn't mandatory.

kcj207
May 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
I am in the same boat as Jules,

After losing everything in 2006, an external drive along with 2010 was purchased and the Trainz 2010 folder then backed up.

When 2010 had to be reinstalled, and after the database finished rebuilding, my routes were gone from the CM2. I have a backup but no clue as to how to reinstall it on CM2.

Read, with interest, RRSignal's advice but given my experience level, I really do not understand the backup/restore process.

Dermmy
May 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
With 2006 it was as easy as copying the local + tdx files storing them on a separate drive and, in the event of a crash, just replacing them after a new install...Jules

Exactly the same procedure will work with 10, but the Local folder and tdx file are now in the 'UserData' folder.

Probably not a bad idea to back up the entire UserData folder - that should get you back on the road in the event of a mishap...

Andy

bwfeldsee
May 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hi there

What is the best and easiest way to back up my 2010 work?

With 2006 it was as easy as copying the local + tdx files storing them on a separate drive and, in the event of a crash, just replacing them after a new install.

Your advice please?

Thanks

Jules

Hi Jules

I'm afraid I'm no help with 2010 but is it really that simple in 2006? I've only had Trainz 2006 for 2 months and have spent most of that time building a route, now almost finished but no sessions other than a test train as yet. Today for no apparent reason the whole Trainz program simply refused to open beyond the initial "home" page. I've no idea why but as all the files are still there on the C Drive, I could take copies and then reinstall. (I had been backing up my route each nights as a CDP but haven't got a clue what to do with it and your method sounds simpler).

Your reassurance would calm a terrified beginner!!!!

Alan

RRSignal
May 2nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
I am in the same boat as Jules,

After losing everything in 2006, an external drive along with 2010 was purchased and the Trainz 2010 folder then backed up.

When 2010 had to be reinstalled, and after the database finished rebuilding, my routes were gone from the CM2. I have a backup but no clue as to how to reinstall it on CM2.

Read, with interest, RRSignal's advice but given my experience level, I really do not understand the backup/restore process.

You can just copy your Trainz installation in it's entirety to, say, an external drive and run it from there (though it will probably run slowly.) In my case, TS2010 was installed in C:\Program Files\Auran\TS2010\ I just created a folder on another internal hard drive called Program Files, then dragged the Auran folder (which was underneath Program Files) into it. Truth is, you really don't even have to create the Program Files folder, I just did it for continuity. You can just select Auran, then COPY, then paste it wherever you want it. I made a second copy on an external drive and ran the first copy, which I still run.

jules22
May 3rd, 2011, 05:43 AM
Hi Jules

I'm afraid I'm no help with 2010 but is it really that simple in 2006? I've only had Trainz 2006 for 2 months and have spent most of that time building a route, now almost finished but no sessions other than a test train as yet. Today for no apparent reason the whole Trainz program simply refused to open beyond the initial "home" page. I've no idea why but as all the files are still there on the C Drive, I could take copies and then reinstall. (I had been backing up my route each nights as a CDP but haven't got a clue what to do with it and your method sounds simpler).

Your reassurance would calm a terrified beginner!!!!

Alan

Hi Alan

I run XP and this has worked for me ok.

Go into windows explorer / c/ program files tsr2006 / copy local + tdx files somewhere safe. Add/remove programs - remove 2006. New install / go back into programs and delete local + tdx files and then copy your saved versions to where the others came from. Do a restart and all should open ok.

I always date back up on a separate drive to remember when I last did it and keep the last 2 versions.

Good luck from sunny Malta

J

NSWGR_46Class
May 3rd, 2011, 06:04 AM
You do not even need the the TDX files and better if you infact do not copy them but get 2006 to do a data base rebuild anyway.

In 2010 and Ts12 you only need the local directory...

But whats wrong with using the built in data Archive systems and file format that are built into trainz CMP . gets you back up and playing trainz quicker

bwfeldsee
May 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hi Alan

I run XP and this has worked for me ok.

Go into windows explorer / c/ program files tsr2006 / copy local + tdx files somewhere safe. Add/remove programs - remove 2006. New install / go back into programs and delete local + tdx files and then copy your saved versions to where the others came from. Do a restart and all should open ok.

I always date back up on a separate drive to remember when I last did it and keep the last 2 versions.

Good luck from sunny Malta

J

Hi Jules

Really helpful and clear so a big thank you. Unfortunately it didn't work - not the fault of your instructions I must add but, after a bit of experimentation I seem to have got a problem with my Assets TDX file.

I tested at each stage of the reinstallation and everything worked well until I reinstalled this file - then the same problem occured. Trainz opens as far as the launcher window but then no further. Whatever button I press the whole thing freezes and sulks.

So I've gone back to square one yet again and reinstalled 2006 and my two commercially produced routes and they work fine.

I'm left with a final option but haven't a clue what to do. Every night when building my route, I saved in a CDP onto a USB stick but would need tuition in very simple language how to reinstall from there. I know for certain that the work I did up to the final day was OK so could reinstall at that point if I knew how. That would just leave one day's work wasted - I can live with that!!!

Which brings me to a final question. I noticed that my Assets TDX file with all my work on it was hugely bigger than the one which installs with Trainz plus the two commercial routes (a matter of 2647KB versus 12000KB). Can it be too large? My route is not big in length (about 35 km), nor complicated track but does have thousands of trees as it goes through the Black Forest.

Sorry to go on at length - I'm really very new at all this!!!!

Many thanks again

Alan

NSWGR_46Class
May 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
The TDX file is only the content data base it contains no content at all just gives direction to trainz on what is what..

This has been covered many times in the 2006 area.

If the the TDX file is giving you problems delete it and get trainz CMP to rebuild it. If installing or re installing any content you should delete the TDX files as it forces the data base to do a rebuild

bwfeldsee
May 3rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
The TDX file is only the content data base it contains no content at all just gives direction to trainz on what is what..

This has been covered many times in the 2006 area.

If the the TDX file is giving you problems delete it and get trainz CMP to rebuild it. If installing or re installing any content you should delete the TDX files as it forces the data base to do a rebuild

OK - I'm learning, I think, but my next idiot-boy question is how does this happen? Do I just delete it and go and make a cup of tea. When I get back, will it have been rebuilt? See what I mean? I really am a very new boy!!!

Thanks

Alan

JCitron
May 3rd, 2011, 11:04 PM
OK - I'm learning, I think, but my next idiot-boy question is how does this happen? Do I just delete it and go and make a cup of tea. When I get back, will it have been rebuilt? See what I mean? I really am a very new boy!!!

Thanks

Alan

Go have a cup of tea while the database rebuilds. The database can get corrupted if you turn off your computer before the database has a chance to close completely.

With TRS2006 and above, you need to wait at least 5 or 10 minutes before turning off your computer. This will help prevent database corruption.

John

bwfeldsee
May 4th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Go have a cup of tea while the database rebuilds. The database can get corrupted if you turn off your computer before the database has a chance to close completely.

With TRS2006 and above, you need to wait at least 5 or 10 minutes before turning off your computer. This will help prevent database corruption.

John
My very grateful thanks to Jules, Bearcat245 and JCitron for their patience and advice. Using a combination of tips from all three I am now back in business. I must now write up the notes before I forget what to do!!!
Alan

BRClass66
May 5th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Hi guys,

do you have to update trainz first before you copy the local file/tdx back in,or does it save the updates ?

As i normally reinstall Trainz then update then import folder (local file) in CM 3.3

But your way makes sence and looks to be a lot quicker.

Brad

NSWGR_46Class
May 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Hi guys,

do you have to update trainz first before you copy the local file/tdx back in,or does it save the updates ?

As i normally reinstall Trainz then update then import folder (local file) in CM 3.3

But your way makes sence and looks to be a lot quicker.

Brad

Yes you would have to = but do not reinstall the TDX files as that just going to make more work as you have to rebuild the data base anyway.

But why are you having to reinstall it anyway.

I just copy the whole trainz directory to my external drive and then copy that back as required. Saves time

BRClass66
May 5th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Thanks Bearcat,

I'm fairly new to this and sometimes things go wrong ,so instead of fixing it i've been reinstalling the game...but people like yourself have helpt alot so havent reinstalled for a while...
But now ,if my computer crashes ill be using your way of getting up and running again....way faster your way and such a clever way to do things to.

Thankyou very much for your reply and help

all the best to you

Brad