PDA

View Full Version : TS12 on Steam

sgwood24
April 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Anyone know if they going to release it on Steam??

sravan
April 14th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Hi Sgwood,
i bought ts2010 from steam and thers no support from them later, even the still build is 43xxx ,and its the only build available for steam for ts2010 till now,so i am not going to buy trainz frm steam anymore
so if you want support ,patches further updates for your game buy it from auran/n3v thats all i can say....

RRSignal
April 14th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Why would you want to buy it from Steam? Better to buy directly from Auran.

meatloaf747
April 14th, 2011, 07:34 PM

sgwood24; In answer to your question; IMHO, highly probable. Common sense tell me N3V will probably be using ever available existing distributer to distribute TS12...

************************************************** ************************************************** *******

Re; "Steam" versions 09 & 010 patching...

Cut & pasted from Zec's post in another thread on the matter 15th Feb 2010.

It wasn't in this thread, but I did outline the situation with the Steam edition of 2009. Unfortunately, in that case, it's extremely difficult to get a patch working. The Steam system broke our internal patching system. However, TS2009 was not compatible with the Steam patching system. Hence, the two options don't work.

We have been working on this one, however this is even more time consuming than the TS2010, and has had to have work slowed a number of times because of this (in reality, both sides should probably take blame here).

TS2010 is able to be patched, that is the reason why it already includes SP3 since SP3 added this support. However, it's not a simple case of "click and go". We do still need to modify the patch to suite, ensure that it works with Steam, test the patch, fix issues, test some more, and if any more issues appear fix them, then test some more, etc, etc, then when ready we have to send it to Steam for them to release.
Not exactly a quick process. But we are working on it, just we don't have an ETA for release on the TS2010 one. I've not actually spoken with the team about TS2009 in a while, sorry (not actually had any questions via the helpdesk in quite a while about this one).

As to it being a bad policy? Most games companies put that into the EULA. Just because we actually do release patches in the majority of cases doesn't mean we have to. We feel it's best that we do, but the EULA does state that we are not required to. In this case, I was explaining to Soret that his accusation that we were breaking the EULA was false.

Zec Murphy Customer Support Rep - Auran Games 15/02/2010

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *************

Unfortunately the TS2010 "Steam" patch to 44088 is still in N3V's "to do list" That's the reason why those that had a "Steam" version of TS2010 couldn't become beta testers of TS2010 Multi-player. (had to be able to patched to 44088)... to then be able to apply the MP service pack/s...

No one can say that this is going to happen in the future, but if the past is anything to go by, I'd certainly recommend you either buy direct from N3V, or from some other distributer/s like http://trainzone.co.nz/index.htm etc, etc that didn't have the "Steam" patching issues...

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=70215&highlight=steam

Cheers, Mac...

Deano5
April 15th, 2011, 06:33 AM
If you do a search for all the threads started with regard to the "Steam" version, I'm sure you will only want to purchase direct from N3V. ;)

Vern
April 15th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Re Steam, please tread very carefully and take a look at my comments in the thread about Railworks with regard to "SteamGuard". Under Steam, if for any reason the jacket can't or won't work you have no access to the game. It is a convenient DRM for publishers as they don't have to worry about Securom or similar in their installer but potentially a nightmare for end users when it goes wrong.

The absolute worst thing that has happened is people losing their Steam accounts and no longer being able to access any of the games they paid for a licence to use (I use that term as it seems these days you no longer "buy" or "own" software). Usually that is due to misconduct on their part but mistakes are believed to happen - even innocent people sometimes hang.

WindWalkr
April 15th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Hi guys,

Just to add my 2c on this issue:

We do of course like it when people buy directly from us, because we get all the money. But if you'd prefer to buy from Steam, then please be aware that we WILL have a version up there in the not-too-distant future, and it WILL be a fully supported product.

To those people who don't like Steam- it's your choice, fair enough, but please don't go overboard with the Steam-bashing.

cheers,

chris

RRSignal
April 15th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Keep in mind, Chris, a lot of the people bashing Steam are customers/ex-customers of theirs.

hminky
April 15th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I bought TS09 on Steam 2 years ago. It was my first purchase of a Train Sim.

I finally had Steam update it. It sat there and until I logged out and logged in again on my XP computer there was no update. It now runs great, better than the Auran/N3V version with SP4. I downloaded SteamTS09 again on my Win7 box. Now it is updated to the latest version for Steam.

I think it is the best version of Trainz. It will run EK3 better than 10 would. The sessions are broken because it is 09 but the frame rates are better and the Draw Distance isn't broken like SP4 and 10.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/image/trees_on_the_hill.jpg

Draw distance maxed and no good weather fog on the Ozark Air Line. On a clear day you can see forever and no bouncy trees at the top of the ridge.

Would I recommend you buy on Steam, probably not. I am happy I bought that first version on Steam. I think Steam09 is the best version of Trainz with the final update.

Yeah, I tried TS12. Wouldn't run well on my Win7 box and ran the same on the XP box.

Happy in Trainz land
Harold