PDA

View Full Version : Trainz 2010 "SOS"

kcj207
April 6th, 2011, 08:37 AM
My Railroad (Trainz 2010) has been down since March 28.
I have exhausted a truly limited bag of tricks and, the helpdesk has yet to respond.
A "video to black" situation, which required a hard reset, caused a crash of Trainz 2010.
1) Unable to reinstall Trainz 2010 from DVD. Noted differences in file names between my DVD and Trainz Download site.
2) Redownloaded & REINSTALLED Trainz 2010. Launched & noted build number as 43434
3) Patched to build 44088
4) Launched Trainz and all menu buttons seem to work
5) When Start or Content buttons are pushed this sequence occurs
a. Updating Trainz Asset Database window opens
b. Scanning for deleted asset files completed OK
c. scanning for added asset files completed OK
d. scanning for modified asset files completed OK
e. Cashing obsolete assets completed OK
f When the "Checking for faulty assets" window appears the process stops with a "TrainzUtil has stopped working" and a "close program" button appears
Any suggestions ??
KCJ207
CPU i7 3.07 GHz
Ram 11.0 GB usable
Graphics ATI 1950X (changed out XFX HD 6950)

P.S I have a screen capture of TADD but am baffeled as to how to attach it.:confused:

fran1
April 6th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Wait for someone to confirm this. (there are 2 asset files)
Delete assets tdx in the 2010 folder. Open content manager and let it rebuild the database. Cured a few of my glitches.

shaneturner12
April 6th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I need to check which operating system you are using, as that can have a fairly major impact on the behaviour of TrainzUtil.

For any video issues, make sure you have the latest video card drivers and DirectX files.

Shane

Euphod
April 6th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Can you do a TrainzDiag for us? Located in the Bin folder of trainz.

kcj207
April 6th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Thank you Fran, I will follow your advice

In the meantime did some research on how to copy the TADD log and here it is if this helps!!
ltex'
0:00.2 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tbumpg
osscol'
0:00.2 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tgroun
onetex'
0:00.2 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tgroun
onetexvs'
0:03.6 : InterfaceTextDB> failed to load compiled interfacetext file
0:03.6 : InterfaceTextDB> failed to load compiled interfacetext file
0:03.7 : TADDaemon
0:03.7 : DownloadTask::DoPlanetAuranLogin> logging in to planet auran
0:03.7 : Ready.
0:07.6 : ********************************
0:07.6 : *** STARTING DATABASE REPAIR ***
0:07.6 : ********************************
0:08.1 : >> TADRepair_Go >> prep time 0.524836
0:12.3 : >> TADRepair_Go >> Deletes time 4.172024
0:14.5 : >> TADRepair_Go >> Adds time 2.155848
0:15.0 : deleting cached file 'c:\program files (x86)\auran\ts2010/UserData/
ache/internet/874twhp24.php'
1:36.9 : >> TADRepair_Go >> changed time 82.363730
2:04.6 : >> TADRepair_Go >> obsoletions time 5.421223
3:05.6 : TADCommandHostGetAvailable> long delay while waiting for an availab
e commandhost (60sec)

regards all

kcj207
April 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Shane:
I verified that the video drivers are the latest and in response to your other queries:
OS Windows 7 64 bit
DirectX 11
Euphod:
The result of running TrainzDiag is that OPEN GL, did not pass the test (all other parameters pass)
As the original setup ran DirectX I changed to OPEN GL and reran the tests, with the same result.
Please note that a "MVH Diag MFC Application has stopped" error came up. As well the TADD reported "long delay while awaiting for an available command host". I then did an internet connections test which confirmed a download speed of 16.29 Mbps and upload speed of 653kbps???? Could this be an Auran server response issue. If so its been that way for days>

ct_krogen
April 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM
try running trainz in admins mode

fran1
April 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM
There is a SP1 for win7, cant see that helping though.
Try putting DX version 9c on the comp, (shane ?) they'll all work together.

shaneturner12
April 7th, 2011, 04:48 AM
That is correct - DirectX 9.0C is required to run Trainz correctly (see my sticky in this forum for instructions on how to update it).

DirectX 9.0C and DirectX 10/11 will run side-by-side.

Also, if TrainzDiag is reporting 'OpenGL failure' then it means that your graphics card is having trouble with certain features in Trainz, which may or may not cause issues.

I would also advise that you set TADDaemon and TrainzUtil in the Bin folder to run as administrator (you can do this using the following process:)

1.Right-click the file in question, then click Properties.
2.Click Compatibility.
3.Click in the box labelled 'run this program as administrator' to place a tick, then click OK (if there is already a tick, simply click OK)

Also, repeat this process with the shortcut used to launch Trainz.

Shane

kcj207
April 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Each of your sugestions was implemented exactly as instructed, with no change to the problem.
Interestingly, after installing the Redist Directx version, as per Shane's sticky, I ran dxdiag and Directx Version 11.0 was indicated as being installed. Presumably the necessary DirectX 9.0c files required by Trainz have been added to the Direct 11 version. I say this because of other internet information, i.e.

"Also you can't install an old version of DirectX over a new version, it just wont work." I am thinking that the Version 11.0 and 9.0c have been combined/installed ?? and are listed as version 11.0
"The Win7/Vista installs do not contain the updated DX 9.0c libraires that were continually released after DX 9.0c came out. Many of the new .DLL's that were added are REQUIRED for newer games that run in DX9 model, and must be downloaded."

For what it is worth;
1) Windows 7 Compatibility Center indicates that Trainz 2010 Engineering addition is compatible for both 32 &64 bit versions.
2)Directx 9.0c first appeared in Service Pack 2 and was developed for the OS XP; Directx 10.0 was developed exclusively for OS Vista and finally Directx 11.0 was developed for Windows 7 and to update Vista to the new graphics technology.
3) Directx versions 10.0 and 11.0 are not entirely backward compatible suggesting this is the reason for running Trainz on Directx 9.0c for Vista and Windows 7 operating Systems.

I am illogical, must be,.... because applying logic doesn't seem to help with this problem, Whats wrong with:
GPU's are hardware, built to operate up to a specific version of directx and Operating systems
Drivers are built for specific hardware and provide the means for the OS and other software to communicate with the hardware.
If the OS, and drivers are up-to-date and operating with other applications, as is the hardware, why doesn't trainz like it? The fundamental problem is tied to the dependant relationship between a users computer and Auran's database. This is oversimplefing matters; but What am I missing???

Truly, I DO APPRECIATE, your wonderful support.
regards to all
kcj207:)

fran1
April 7th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Before the re install did you check there was nothing left of the corrupt install.

kcj207
April 8th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Fran...Good point, but indeed after installing Trainz for the third time, I made sure there was nothing left before the last install.

Currently focussing on the last part of the TADD log message (TADCommandHost Get Available> long delay while waiting for an available command host); trying to understand where the problem originates.

Google searches suggest that the error message is associated with a SATA HHD timeout??? I may be way off course on this one, but here are the clues:
"A CommandHost runs an executable through a command"
" 'timeout' -- The number of seconds the program is permitted to execute. After the 'timeout' expires, the program will be terminated. However, in some cases (such as when using 'rsh') it will be the local side of the connection that is closed. The remote side of the connection may or may not continue to operate, depending on the vagaries of the remote operating system."
"SATA HDD timeout period while waiting for commands/data?"

"If there is a write to occur to one of the devices (but the host doesn't know which one just yet), the host initiates a 'write' command to all of the connected HDDs, and (up to) a few seconds later the port multiplier will determine which HDD will receive the data and pass the data on from the host to the HDD. How long will the HDDs wait in a state of readiness before timing out?"

Finally, the processes requiring a local database rebuild do not work and are timing out. Either the data is not being received, or the data is not being processed in a timely manner. Is there a way to confirm that Directx 9.0c and Directx 11.0 are properly co-installed?

:confused: regards kcj207
(Visions of 40 years in the wilderness)

fran1
April 8th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Shanes your DX guru.
However I had to re download dx 9c last night, fraps was acting up and upon starting it while running a session it would crash 2010.
Just out of curiosity have you tried to install 2010 on a different drive. How much space have you left on the 1 you keep installing on. I think you need 10-15% unused for it to operate properly.
Check the connectors in the comp to your drives and mobo. A loose or faulty 1 maybe.
Lastly, having any other problems with the drive, maybe on it's way out.

shaneturner12
April 8th, 2011, 05:04 AM
If the redist install is not working correctly (as I have discovered from another user), try the web install method (but make sure you untick the option for the Bing Bar)

Normally though, there is a way of checking whether DirectX 9 is installed on Windows Vista/7 - there is a file called d3dx9_(number).dll in System32 or SysWOW64 (depending on whether your system is 32 or 64 bit) - the highest number showing on mine is 43, which should be corresponding with the June 2010 update (there are also equivalent numbers for DX10 and DX11)

Shane

kcj207
April 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Fran..I have 316 GBs free on the C drive. The computer and associated hardware is less that three months old and I don't suspect the connections as I have no trouble with any of the other applications.

A wee bit of background. I started with 2006 version and became an addict. Oh what fun!! I am the son of an Algoma Central Railroad man.
Now retired, I have the time to scratch itches that have been with me for some time. Recalling the stories of the legendary steam engineers who could pull more cars over the gradients, on time, sparked a curiosity as to what made a great engineer and what it was like to pull a heavy train. After teaching myself the basics of steam locomotive engineering, (thanks to the Catskills Archives....http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/index.html), I began the assembly of a database on the layout and gradients of the ACR, which was derived from Google Earth.
After spending hours on the build, the routes disappeared. Mr. Murphy informed me that the application had somehow been corrupted and the work lost. Unaware that I was logging out before waiting for Trainz to properly close, I was probably the author of my own problem. To avoid the same end result, I purchased 2010 edition, a reasonably powerful new computer along with a 3 TB external drive to back everything up.

Shane....Based on your thoughts, I now believe the Directx 9.0c is correctly installed.
In the system 32 file, the lower case d3dx9 files augment to d3dx9_36.dll, immediately followed by upper case files augmenting to D3DX9_43dll. You are correct in that dx10 and dX 11 files have equivalent numbers. The same file notations are found in the SysWOW64 folder.
:D A break through!!!!:D
After refelecting on your comments, " if TrainzDiag is reporting 'OpenGL failure' then it means that your graphics card is having trouble with certain features in Trainz, which may or may not cause issues." a light went off. My original crash was cause by the Radeon HD 6950 video card, and on the advice of XFX, it was changed out for an older Ati 1950X card for troubleshooting reasons. I changed it back and reloaded the video drivers and lo and behold the system launched. Not sure why, because the older card handled flight simulators OK but apparently not Trainz.
At this point I have a launcher menu, less the button in the upper left corner, and all my routes have again disappeared.I searched through the Content manager and they are gone.
I am off for a beer, thankful for the assistance of some wonderful people and regretting the work I have caused them. However, I would still be lost without such help. Hopefully some research on how to restore Trainz files from backup and effect repairs on the launcher will have me back up and running.
Thank you Buddies!!!
kcj207

fran1
April 8th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Re the graphics card. I used to have an x1950 pro which ran 2006 fine. So I think the OG vs DX can be ignored for the moment. Unless it couldn't handle dx 10 or 11.
Check your main 2010 folder. I have 12 folders + base ja, cmp, data ja, jet log, launcher log, trainz cfg, trainz launcher icon, trainz diag log, trainz options, unins000dat, unins000.
Anything missing?

kcj207
April 9th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Thank the heavens for beer;)

I contine this thread hopefully to to avoid other Trainz fans from repeating this effort.

While I can now launch Trainz and communicate with CM2, I cannot open any routes or sessions without my computer "going nuts". All the fans open up full speed and the CPU temp starts to climb rapidly. The only way to get out is to do a hard reset which is not beneficial to Trainz 2010. After recovering from the Windows failure and restarting trainz, the expected Trainz Database Rebuild occurs successfully.
As Trainz is the only application that this result occurs, I suspect the install is corrupted again.
Two actions will be taken:
1.Trainz will be installed for the fourth time, in accordance with Mr. Zec Murphy's update sticky. This installation will not be run until,
2) The help desk of the HD 6950 video card manufacturer examines the "video goes to black" scenario that caused the original failure.

Expect a report back on the findings.

regards Kcj207:sleep:

kcj207
April 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Fran..
I compared your main Trainz folder count to mine and it is indeed different.
Where you have 12 folders I have only six ( bin, Builtin, Extras, libraries, scripts and UserData)
Comparing the files you listed they are all there with these differences. 1) the cmp file is missing 2) there is an extra Trainz - 44088.dmp file.
I have no idea what this means other than to say, could it be a result of the database rebuild, after my hard reset recovery?
Its puzzling because originally I downloaded all of the patches and copied them to the Main Trainz file. The list of update files has also disappeared.
regards..KCJ207

tomurban
April 9th, 2011, 10:32 AM
The issues you are now experiencing would point to marginal performance or a pending failure in a couple of areas, namely graphics card, motherboard PCI buss or PS. Some computer builders offer free diagnostic downloads that stress test every component in your system and provide a report that can be printed or saved. If you can access such a diagnostic tool, it will point to your problem area(s). The reason your computer goes "nuts" at that point is because there is no real "LOAD" on your system until you open a route/session and start moving trains. Hope this helps get you going.

tomurban

fran1
April 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Fran..
I compared your main Trainz folder count to mine and it is indeed different.
Where you have 12 folders I have only six ( bin, Builtin, Extras, libraries, scripts and UserData)
Comparing the files you listed they are all there with these differences. 1) the cmp file is missing 2) there is an extra Trainz - 44088.dmp file.
I have no idea what this means other than to say, could it be a result of the database rebuild, after my hard reset recovery?
Its puzzling because originally I downloaded all of the patches and copied them to the Main Trainz file. The list of update files has also disappeared.
regards..KCJ207

There's something out here. My 44088.dmp file is in my bin folder along with 44088.dmp2/3/4.
A lot of your install seems out of sync. I'd be trying another re install using the discs.
Save the user data folder and bin the rest.
If you have an empty partition install in there.
Can someone confirm my bin folder is correct then we can move on from here, cheers. Tomurban can you check please. No bother you only have 09.

kcj207
April 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Items completed thanks to suggestions by fran and tomurban:
1) completed 4 brief stress tests. The first utilized freeware "Heavyload 3.0". Tests 2-4 utilized "BurnInTest V6.0 Pro. The longest test ran three hours successfully.
RESULT SUMMARY
Test Start time: Sun Apr 10 07:13:39 2011
Test Stop time: Sun Apr 10 10:14:11 2011
Test Duration: 003h 00m 32s
Test Name Cycles Operations Result Errors Last Error
CPU 2345 52.138 Trillion PASS 0 No errors
Memory (RAM) 35 704 Billion PASS 0 No errors
2D Graphics 369 369950 PASS 0 No errors
3D Graphics 4106 8.214 Million PASS 0 No errors
Optical disk(D:)228 9.402 Billion PASS 0 No errors
Sound 64 215 Million PASS 0 No errors
Video Playback 220 2781 PASS 0 No errors
Disk (C:) 14 140 Billion PASS 0 No errors
TEST RUN PASSED

I intend to run an longer overnight test tonight

2) Attempted to installed Trainz from files downloaded April 5,2011, after ensuring all reminents of the previous installation were removed. The installation failed on C:\Program Files (x86)\Auran\TS2010\Builtin\5ja. "An error occurred while trying to copy a file: The source file is corrupted". At this point I aborted the installation. Exactly the same error occurs when an installation is attempted from the Trainz 2010 discs originally burned from the Auran site download and after Trainz was installed and ran well. Three months later my hard reset incident started this thread.
I will download the files from Auran for the third time and attempt another installation. The installed file structure will be compared to those provide by FRAN, both for the initial installation and the patched to final version. As well, a longer, overnight stress test will be completed.
The results will be reported tomorrow.
regards...Kcj207:(

steve123
April 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Reformat your computer, only install OS and motherboard and video card drivers ,no anti virus yet ,do not connect to internet ,install TS2010 .run it to make sure it works ,then install individual service packs and run it after each one .
the full spec of your computer would help
names of motherboard ,cpu ,video card , ram, power supply and case
steve

kcj207
April 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Steve,

It took me a solid weeks work to install all the applications when I moved over from the old computer. Repeating the process is not very appealing so can you kindly explain your thinking. Why is the problem only with Trainz

Here is the System information:
SYSTEM SUMMARY
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition build 7600 (64-bit),
1 x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz,
11.0GB RAM,
AMD Radeon HD 6850,
2 x 466GB HDD,
CD-RW/DVDRW/BD-RE,
GENERAL
System Name: ULTRAI7ASUS
Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Motherboard Name: SABERTOOTH X58
Motherboard Version: Rev 1.xx
Motherboard Serial Number: 107848590000570
BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version: 0603
BIOS Release Date: 10/29/2010
CPU
CPU manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
Codename: Bloomfield
CPUID: Family 6, Model 1A, Stepping 5, Revision D0
Socket: LGA1366
Lithography: 45nm
Physical CPU's: 1
Cores per CPU: 4
Hyperthreading: Enabled
CPU features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 DEP PAE Intel64 VMX Turbo
Clock frequencies:
Measured CPU speed: 3074.4 MHz [Turbo: 3208.1MHz]
Multiplier: x23.0 [Turbo: x24.0]
Base Clock: 133.3 MHz
Muliplier range: Min: x12, Max non turbo: x23
Cache per CPU package:
L1 Instruction Cache: 4 x 32 KB
L1 Data Cache: 4 x 32 KB
L2 Cache: 4 x 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
TDP Limit: 130 Watts
TDC Limit: 110 Amps
MEMORY
Total Physical Memory: 11255MB
Available Physical Memory: 9995MB
Memory devices:
DIMM0:
- DDR3, 2048MB, 1066MHz,
DIMM1:
- DDR3, 2048MB, 1066MHz,
DIMM2:
- DDR3, 2048MB, 1066MHz,
DIMM3:
- DDR3, 2048MB, 1066MHz,
DIMM4:
- DDR3, 2048MB, 1066MHz,
DIMM5:
- DDR3, 2048MB, 1066MHz,
Virtual memory: C:\pagefile.sys (allocated base size 11255MB)
GRAPHICS
AMD Radeon HD 6850
Chip Type: ATI display adapter (0x6719)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Memory: 2048MB
BIOS: 113-HD695ACNF70_113-C2160100-106
Driver provider: ATI Technologies Inc.
Driver version: 8.831.2.0
Driver date: 3-8-2011
Monitor 1: 1920x1200x32 60Hz (Primary monitor)
DISK VOLUMES
C: Local drive, NTFS, (465.66GB total, 328.53GB free)
D: Optical drive, BD-RE WH10LS30
E: Local drive, New Volume, NTFS, (465.76GB total, 453.35GB free)
G: Removable
DISK DRIVES
Disk drive: Model ST95005620AS ATA Device (Size: 465.76GB)
Disk drive: Model ST95005620AS ATA Device (Size: 465.76GB)

OPTICAL DRIVES
D: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH10LS30 (CD-RW/DVDRW/BD-RE)
NETWORK
Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller (Speed: 100Mb/s)
PORTS
Communications Port: COM1 - RS232 Serial Port (max Baud rate: 115200)
Keyboard Port: PS/2 connector
Mouse Port: PS/2 connector
FireWire (IEEE P1394): IEEE 1394 connector
FireWire (IEEE P1394): IEEE 1394 connector
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A37
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A38
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A39
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3C
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A34
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A35
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A36
- Microsoft Microsoft USB Hub
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A
- USB2.0 Hub
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller
- HP Photosmart C5100 series (SN: MY668C31Q604MK)

kcj207
April 10th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Steve,
I forgot.....the Power supply is an Ultra 1000 Watt ATX, The Case an Ultra M996 Mid-Tower. There are dual MB fans a Front case mounted input fan and a Coolit Vantage Auto regulated CPU Water cooling system providing the back case-mounted exhaust fan. The highest ttemperature observed during the stress testing was 39.9 degrees C.

regards...kcj207

ct_krogen
April 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
all ways have a back up of you hardrive on dvd

steve123
April 11th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Very similar to mine only i am air cooled and overclocked ,,looking at what you have there i would check your ram ,why is because it should be triple channel ram on an x58 motherboard so it should be reading 12 gig of ram or over, mine reads 12 gig as total installed
It isn't hard to reformat,it's just a pain to have to do it but it will fix it or let you know where the problem is ,,small steps ,

what this doe's is it gives you a fresh start and as i said before install OS then drivers reboot ,,no internet ,install TS 2010 as admin after that is working properly install sp1 then 2 then 3 as admin all with a reboot after each one,
by only installing the smaller s packs you will narrow down any problems.
It takes me roughly 45 minutes to install windows 7 ultimate ,then 3 hours to install Trainz TS2010 plus service packs .
before formating take out 2 sticks of ram from slot 5,6 on your motherboard and format with 4 stick leave 5,6 free ,even to be safer take 1,3,5,6,out
it will take time ,but in the end it should work ?if not i would say there is a problem with the bios on the motherboard some times the bios on some motherboards doesn't like all ram slots filled and this is a fault with some mobo .good luck let me know how you go.
make sure the RAM goes into the light brown slots instead of the dark brown slots or else it doesnt turn on
steve

kcj207
April 11th, 2011, 09:15 AM
:D :D
Thank you for the feedback Guys. I will look at the memory thing a bit later. as I am getting sufficient thunder and lightning over the time I have spent recently on my problem. The super news for me is Trainz is now running.

I promised a report on what was causing the problem, but I cannot deliver. Here are the final steps stated so others can avoid spending the time I did.
Activity today:
1) I completed an overnight stress test of the computer hardware. Unfortunately, I neglected to place a data disc in the D drive until 90 minutes from the end of the test. Although the test run shows failed, because of my oversight, the rest of the test reveals a stable, computer.(read no hardware problems)
RESULT SUMMARY
Test Start time: Sun Apr 10 21:39:58 2011
Test Stop time: Mon Apr 11 06:40:16 2011
Test Duration: 009h 00m 18s
Test Name Cycles Operations Result Errors Last Error

CPU 7089 161 Trillion PASS 0 No errors
Memory (RAM) 66 1.370 Trillion PASS 0 No errors
2D Graphics 1215 1.216 Million PASS 0 No errors
3D Graphics 12080 24.161 Million PASS 0 No errors
Optical disk (D:)
22 901 Million FAIL 5426 Error while searching for files on optical data disk

Sound 196 655 Million PASS 0 No errors
Video Playback 755 9559 PASS 0 No errors
Disk (C:) 46 461 Billion PASS 0 No errors
TEST RUN FAILED
2) Completed the download of the Trainz 2010 application for the fourth time. For those unfamiliar with the process Go to the Auran Forums and select in turn, from the page header: "Profile", " Order History". "Invoice Number". select the shortcuts and download the five files: setup.exe, setup-1a.bin, setup-1b.bin,setup-2a.bin setup-2b.bin. This process takes several hours.
3)Installed Trainz 2010 and was elated that the process did not stop at extracting the base ja file. The main menu opens with build 43434 indicated. Note: that when you attempt to quit, Trainz attempts to rebuild the database. Subsequently,the service Pack (43434 to 44088) was installed in accordance with Mr.Zec Murphy's instruction, "Section 1 - TS2010 Service Packs, which should I use, and what should I do when updating Trainz?" Upon completing this process, the "Updating Trainz asset database runs again (this may take several minutes). The process terminates with the message "OK (0 Errors 0 Warnings) Patching Complete"
After launching Trainz and selecting the "Start" button, the "Updating Trainz Asset Database" runs again. Note that it will stop at the "Checking for faulty assets" window for a LONG TIME. Let it run and finally Trainz comes up in the "Main Menu".

FRAN. The Trainz file structure after the 44088 rebuild is, in order top to
bottem:
6 folders: bin, Builtin, Extras, libraries, scripts, UserData,
10 files: base.ja, data.ja, Jetlog, launcher log, Trainz.cfg, Trainz (app) TrainzDiaglog, trainzoptions, unins000 (movie) unins000 (app)

Finally, two comments.
a) I have lost hundreds of hours of effort in lost routes and reinstallation of "corrupted" versions of trains. although the following advise is stated in many places, the consequences of not following it is not understood. I would strongly recommend that all novices, like myself, ensure that the "show database process window, found under the Developer tab, of the Options button of the Launcher menu, be checked or selected. This action provides an indicator at the bottem of your monitor of when trainz is running. Do not log out or shut down until the TADD icon closes, AFTER YOU QUIT TRAINZ. As well, it is absolutely essential to follow the update procedure, back up your routes, and several trys of a process may be necessary before achieving the result that you want. Certainly be prepare to spend considerable time.
b) Many thanks to the kind, helpful people, who expend considerable personal effort to assist others who need it. I thank you all!!
regards..kcj207 (looking forward to my third attempt in building the Algoma Central Railroad)

tomurban
April 11th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Glad to hear that your TRAINZ is working. As you stated, it is very important to follow the instructions. Hope to see the Algoma Central on the DLS some day.

tomurban

JeanAHough
July 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM
If the redist install is not working correctly (as I have discovered from another user), try the web install method (but make sure you untick the option for the Bing Bar)

Normally though, there is a way of checking whether DirectX 9 is installed on Windows Vista/7 - there is a file called d3dx9_(number).dll in System32 or SysWOW64 (depending on whether your system is 32 or 64 bit) - the highest number showing on mine is 43, which should be corresponding with the June 2010 update (there are also equivalent numbers for DX10 and DX11)

Shane

Hi shaneturner,

Try to follow these steps:

d3dx9_36.dll
It is because you will be missing written documents.
Step 1. You may acquire http://www.d3dx9.net/download-missing-d3dx9_36-dll/ listed here.
Step 2. Substance that submit for your system32 in addition to process directory. Additionally place it with your syswow
Step 3. Browse through in your System32(32Bit OS) or maybe SyWOW64(64Bit The gw990) Directory.
Note: The venue with System32 or perhaps SyWOW64 is
C:Windows\System32 (If you work with 32Bit Windows 7)
C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (if you are using 64Bit House windows)
Step 4.Paste your d3dx9_36.dll in to that directory.
Step 5.Manage the action. It would deliver the results at this moment.

shaneturner12
July 6th, 2011, 04:48 AM
You should not be downloading DirectX files from anywhere other than Microsoft.

The chance of your system being corrupted or even having a virus as a result is a lot higher.

I never advise users to get the DirectX files from anywhere other than Microsoft directly.

Users that require DirectX should use my sticky thread in the General Trainz forum, or the Updating DirectX page on my tutorial website. (Hopefully, the instructions will also appear on the N3V Knowledgebase soon as well)

Shane

ronconnorssr
April 8th, 2013, 04:19 PM
May have absolutely nothing to do with your issue but...
I've seem to have solved many issues with my own system by doing the following three steps.
1 Take ownership of the entire Trainz directory tree.
2. Once owned you can from a cmd prompt "attrib *.* -r -h -s -a -i /D /S". Most Program folders inherit read only attributes per Win OS.
3. Make sure batch files have permissions to run and alter files.
If this sounds extreme, sorry but it seems to help for many of my issues, especially for file access errors.

leksie
April 8th, 2013, 05:28 PM
An other suggestion : did you shut of your virus scanner ?