PDA

View Full Version : FRAPS Performance

dricketts
March 29th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know how to configure fraps for the best performance when making videos in Trainz? I have a high end spec computer and have never had much problems even with the most demanding routes. When I try to make a video with fraps the game really spits and sputters.

I'm guessing some tweaking if the fraps settings might help. Anyone have any ideas?

cascaderailroad
March 29th, 2011, 05:59 PM
It has to do with your PC video card. My GF's - Open GL laptop has a factory video card makes super choppy slideshow Fraps videos ... however my Desktop that has a 1 Gb video card is as smooth as glass.

clam1952
March 29th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know how to configure fraps for the best performance when making videos in Trainz? I have a high end spec computer and have never had much problems even with the most demanding routes. When I try to make a video with fraps the game really spits and sputters.

I'm guessing some tweaking if the fraps settings might help. Anyone have any ideas?

This is just a theory but could be due to the fact that Fraps is writing video to the drive at the same time as Trainz is loading data. If you have another drive see if you can get Fraps to write to that?

Ricke82
March 29th, 2011, 08:25 PM
This is just a theory but could be due to the fact that Fraps is writing video to the drive at the same time as Trainz is loading data. If you have another drive see if you can get Fraps to write to that?

I haven't tried it with Fraps, but in my experience you are correct with regard to DV in general. I get flawless (mostly) results when with the capture software running on Drive C and writing to Drive D. The times I tried to capture from and write to Drive C I had noticeable dropped frames. However, the second drive needs to be local--connected to the PC's disk drive controller. When I tried to capture to an external drive, either to a USB or a networked drive, the result was worse than when I captured to Drive C. Also, the second drive needs to be an actual physical drive, not a single drive partitioned into to two logical drives.