PDA

View Full Version : Levelling Terrain in Surveyor

FBI_Bosch
March 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Hi all...

Recently I have imported some DEM data into Trainz Surveyor rather successfully. And I have layed most of the track by tracing methods.

However, the major problem is that now in the hilly sections, one side of the tracks (using single tracks) always lies much lower than the other side...

How do I fix this? Is there a way to level or smooth terrain under tracks?

Also, the tracks sometimes have too sharp a dip. How do you fix that to make it more realistic railway gradients but still keeping to the height of the surrounding terrain?

Help is much appreciated.

Regards
Bosch

Vern
March 5th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Well for starters don't lay track so it undulates on the terrain. Use fixed vertex heights (set in options) and apply the gradient manually to each section of track as you go - ideally working from the profile if you have one. If not, use a known datum (e.g. a level crossing) and start from there, measure ahead 1 or 2km and calculate the required gradient from the height difference.

Most DEM is not so precise that it has the trackbed exactly as it is in real life, so you do need to apply some virtual civil engineering.

To bring terrain up level with your track (or to carve out a cutting, embankment etc.) simply stroke the track section a couple of times with the "Smooth" tool, found in the Advanced tab of the track laying flyout.

FBI_Bosch
March 5th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Ok thanks for the help :)