PDA

View Full Version : This is cool - MakerBot

JCitron
February 19th, 2011, 10:41 AM
http://makerbot.com/

It makes real 3d objects from CG files.

Cool and a wee bit expensive for me right now. Someday perhaps.

John

Dap
February 19th, 2011, 01:45 PM
But where will you put all that stuff you make? As an owner of a ShopBot, I speak from experience.

I like keeping my train virtual. I don't have to worry about getting too much and where I will put it.

David

ZecMurphy
February 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I have to say... It is absolutely fantastic to hold in your hands an object made from 3D artwork that you've created :)

I am currently creating 3D artwork for a Victorian Railways freight wagon kit in HO scale to rapid prototype (3D print). We're having them done by a company in Melbourne (well, a little out of Melbourne, but hey!), so a bit less expensive than buying your own (and better resolution IMO). The prints will become masters for resin casting.

If there's interest, I'm happy to see if I can grab a set of the current samples, and post some pics (including the artwork).

I will say this, it can become fairly costly to do, and you do need some experience with 3D creation (using appropriate programs, 3DSMax isn't really the best, but it certainly works!). Cost comes in when you have to do a few samples! :eek:

It really is a wonderful feeling to hold the 'real' printed object in your hand though, after all the work on the computer. It's also a great way to produce somewhat less common subjects for model railways :)
Zec

amigacooke
February 20th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I think 3D printers will move into the mass market and become much cheaper and better supported because of it.

johnwhelan
February 20th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I think the UK Broad Gauge Society is using something similar to create new Broad Gauge rolling stock. I think they have a company to do the production though.

Cheerio John

JCitron
February 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I have to say... It is absolutely fantastic to hold in your hands an object made from 3D artwork that you've created :)

I am currently creating 3D artwork for a Victorian Railways freight wagon kit in HO scale to rapid prototype (3D print). We're having them done by a company in Melbourne (well, a little out of Melbourne, but hey!), so a bit less expensive than buying your own (and better resolution IMO). The prints will become masters for resin casting.

If there's interest, I'm happy to see if I can grab a set of the current samples, and post some pics (including the artwork).

I will say this, it can become fairly costly to do, and you do need some experience with 3D creation (using appropriate programs, 3DSMax isn't really the best, but it certainly works!). Cost comes in when you have to do a few samples! :eek:

It really is a wonderful feeling to hold the 'real' printed object in your hand though, after all the work on the computer. It's also a great way to produce somewhat less common subjects for model railways :)
Zec

That's really cool, Zec. I would like to see your model and original render from 3DSMax.

My brother was looking into one of these kit systems because he does models now for the Advertising Specialties Industry (ASI). These are the guys that sell you T-shirts and pens, plaques, and metal coins with company's names on them and logos and such. One of his customers also handles the glass awards that are etched inside by the YAGG lasers. He sends out SRTM files for the glass etching, but he also does solid models for the plaques and coins that are etched in relief.

This is definitely an interesting industry that has really taken off in the past few years and has seen a reall drop in cost for the modeling.

John

Neo_vs_Werner
February 20th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I would more like to see it the other way around.

Take a few pictures of a building or so and then a progrom converts it to a 3D object for using it in trainz. :)

This link is a example but only to use with small objects i guess and expensive too.
http://www.3dsom.com/index.html

Werner

amigacooke
February 20th, 2011, 07:46 PM
If you have a bob or two spare, how about Next Engine (http://www.nextengine.com/)

Propeller
February 20th, 2011, 08:54 PM
JCitron,
I believe Makerbot is working on a scanner to work with the Makerbot Cupcake. It should be very interesting.

That's really cool, Zec. I would like to see your model and original render from 3DSMax.

My brother was looking into one of these kit systems because he does models now for the Advertising Specialties Industry (ASI). These are the guys that sell you T-shirts and pens, plaques, and metal coins with company's names on them and logos and such. One of his customers also handles the glass awards that are etched inside by the YAGG lasers. He sends out SRTM files for the glass etching, but he also does solid models for the plaques and coins that are etched in relief.

This is definitely an interesting industry that has really taken off in the past few years and has seen a reall drop in cost for the modeling.

John