PDA

View Full Version : Meon valley

kester
November 20th, 2006, 03:04 AM
As I am working on this route again I decided to bring this one back from the dead.

for this not local to Hampshire (UK) the Meon valley railway ran from Fareham to Alton. although it was originally inteded to be main line it was never doubled leaving some interesting problems for the trainz creator.( e.g. double bridges with single track over them etc)

The stations and goods yards on the line from south to north (fareham to alton) where, Funtley brick works and meat yard, Knowle Hospital (south bound only for both platform and goods siding), Wickham station, Mislingford goods station (entered north bound only), droxford station (for Hambledon), West meon station, Privett station, Tisted Station, Farriongdon goods yard. As with many country lines most of the stations had goods gards and in the case of the meon valley these were quite large (2-4 lines).

of course the main downfall as with many of the country lines was that the stations were not always in the village centre. in the case of Privett station it was quite a way from the village.

The lines main clame to fame was that during the D-day landings Droxford station and the cutting to the south of it where used by the leaders of the invations as a safe place to stay over night as the cutting was deep and surounded by trees.

The line closed as early as 1955. Today the southern end of the line from Knowle juction is used as a foot path running 11 miles to West meon station.

I know others have been working on this line and hope they will join in this thread. If any of the many talented content creators are intested in creation or should that be recreating some of the bridges and other lineside fixtures of the meon valley then please post an maybe this time the route may just appear on the DLS.

kester
November 20th, 2006, 03:08 AM
I have been using the Base mape sections from the DLS to help me recreate the line.

So far I have managed to get the track layed and some ground form between fareham and wickham, with track layed to Mislingford goods station.

Wessex_Electric_Nutter
November 20th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Sounds like I better get my butt moving for my planned layout, the West Coastway from Barnham to Havant/Portsmouth/Fareham (including Farlington, Cosham and Portcreek Junction). When/if I start it, fancy doing a colaberation at all? I'd be interesting to back date the layout.

What year are you basing the layout from? (I am planning a Post privisiation layout, but also maybe another from the 1920s, due to the Selsey, Midhurst and Hayling branches.).

tkeithmat
November 20th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Kester
I am currently working on a layout - although based upon geography as used in the books of Agatha Christie - that is located adjacent to yours essentially the mainline Southampton via Winchester to Basingstoke and parts of the GWR Winchester - Didcot and the Andover branch to Romsey and Southampton and the Alton branch from Winchester to Alton.

Although I used to live in the area many moons ago (East Meon) I now live north of London and access is somewhat limited. So I am using a combination of OS Maps, OS Old Maps (available via OS website) and the photos in the relevnt volumes of the books by Vic Mitchell and Keith Mitchell (Middleton Press) BTW they are based in Midhurst.

How are you referencing the contours in your topography? I am using the OS countours (approximatly) therefore I take 0 (baseboard) as sea-level a hill such as St Catherines near Winchester given as 97 metres at the trig point is set at that height on the route.
I am aiming for an essentially steam era mid-30's to post-war/early 50's.

Will you be doing anything with Droxford station reflecting its vital role during the war in the period leading up to D-Day? ie the secret meetings on Winston's train with DeGaul and Eisenhower?

Keith Matthews

kester
November 21st, 2006, 11:38 AM
great what a lot of Questions:D.

1. hi Russell sounds good I did start work on the Chichester to midhurst Branch but 2004 kept spiting the dummy but I did intend to move it over.

I tend to work in pre Beeching period as I have an interst in the old branch lines of the south.

2. as I think I put above the line runs from fareham stations to alton.

3. I would be intersted in teaming up one some of my other inteded projects but I will post another thread on the Middy (midhurst branch lines) soon. *edit: here is a link to the post http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=4029#post4029

4.I use the os maps scanned in to trs and use the apropreate hights form 0> I have tried to learn hog but have little time atm.

Im glad that there is interest in this project and hope to get it progress although I am haveing problems atm with tennis elbo:rolleyes:

kester
December 23rd, 2006, 03:58 AM
Kester
Although I used to live in the area many moons ago (East Meon) I now live north of London and access is somewhat limited. So I am using a combination of OS Maps, OS Old Maps (available via OS website).

Keith Matthews

Hi keith can you give me a little more infomation on where to find the info you talk about as I have just looked and have strugled to find info.

thanks kes

kester
February 27th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Next station Droxford for Hambledon all change for Hambledon.

I have finaly reached droxford station on my quest. this stations main claim to fame is that during the lead up to D-Day Churchill and the other leaders stayed in a train in the cutting to the south of the station as it is deap and easy to protect.

ttfn

kester
March 20th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Hi all I ahve 2 main bits of news:

1. I have managed to scan all the map areas needed for the line son can progress as an when time allows

2. I have reached West meon I still have to put in the goods yard etc but the line is looking good if I can get the line to a stage where it is usable eg track down signals in I may be looking for beta testers the map will be in trs2006 as 2004 kept falling over on me.

at present I have some landscaping done but this is the long term part of the project unless some is a wiz with landscaping and willing to help me on the project.

kester
April 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Privett and tisted reached in good order I have put in some signaling to test the line but it sill needs work as does the land scape I have also put in a tempory viaduct at west meon Hears hoping that some kind harted creator can come up with the goods:D

*now reached farringdon and alton via butts junction just got to signal it and then the land scape needs doing if any one is intrested in beta testing it drop a note and I will try and work it out*

ttfn

kester
April 14th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Hi all,

I now have a new book with more detail of the line and its goods yards I also hope to have soon(TM) an archeological survey of the goods that the line transported.

the new book I have has a detailed diagram of the west meon viaduct so if any on is interested I will E-mail it to them.

ttfn

RDRBerry
April 14th, 2007, 04:06 AM
This project looks great.

I was down there last week and had to cut from Alton to West Harting and went under a huge embankment near Selbourne I think with a small tunnel in effect for the road, dramatic stuff.

There's quite a few earth works left, used to follow it down when I had to work in Fareham.

I dig around and scan some pics if that would help.

Alton re created as a 3 way junction....

I have the Branch lines from Alton book which has some pics, and related a tatty copy of the Griffiths history of the Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway [quite a tale that one] and saw a few remaining bits at Herriard..

Ralph

Exiled Southerner

kester
April 14th, 2007, 01:01 PM
This project looks great.

I was down there last week and had to cut from Alton to West Harting and went under a huge embankment near Selbourne I think with a small tunnel in effect for the road, dramatic stuff.

There's quite a few earth works left, used to follow it down when I had to work in Fareham.

I dig around and scan some pics if that would help.

Alton re created as a 3 way junction....

I have the Branch lines from Alton book which has some pics, and related a tatty copy of the Griffiths history of the Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway [quite a tale that one] and saw a few remaining bits at Herriard..

Ralph

Exiled Southerner
Hi Ralph,

first off great signature:D

As I have live in the area for all of my life and have steam in my blood trs is like a dream come true I have been working on lots of the local branch line over the years and this is my favorate as I crossed it many times on my way to college (sparsholt) and to se my girlfriend in Bishops Waltham.

if you have any pics I would be interested to see them, I am also near needing beta testers if I can work out how to package it up will need to remove the maps though or you will know as much as I do (der kester walks of looking confused):D:D.

with referance to the Basingstoke Alton line that is another one I am eyeing up I have put in Alton park and the Trelor siding as they fall into the Butts junction map square.

ttfn

infiniti
April 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Privett and tisted reached in good order I have put in some signaling to test the line but it sill needs work as does the land scape I have also put in a tempory viaduct at west meon Hears hoping that some kind harted creator can come up with the goods:D

*now reached farringdon and alton via butts junction just got to signal it and then the land scape needs doing if any one is intrested in beta testing it drop a note and I will try and work it out*

ttfn

Hi kester I was born and raised in Corhampton and Droxford and can vaguely remember using the Train to get to Shool at Fareham.
I have a picture of my Grandmother greeting some royalty and dignitaries at Droxford station.
As kids we played in the goods depot at droxford, and often scrounged a ride in the various shunters, dared each other to climb the windmill gantry which was used for drawing water for the trains and station.
If you need any local information on the Meon Valley I'd be happy to help.
I am totally new to Trainz and this forum as you probably can tell ( why has my writing gone blues) but if I can help drop me a line.

infiniti.

kester
April 14th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Hi kester I was born and raised in Corhampton and Droxford and can vaguely remember using the Train to get to Shool at Fareham.
I have a picture of my Grandmother greeting some royalty and dignitaries at Droxford station.
As kids we played in the goods depot at droxford, and often scrounged a ride in the various shunters, dared each other to climb the windmill gantry which was used for drawing water for the trains and station.
If you need any local information on the Meon Valley I'd be happy to help.
I am totally new to Trainz and this forum as you probably can tell ( why has my writing gone blues) but if I can help drop me a line.

infiniti.

WELCOME to the forum infiniti.

thanks for the offer I have the basic layout so any detail that people can give is of great help:D

just for an extra bit of info atm I am leaving the industry's out and just puting in track marks as this reduces the size of the file for sending out. the final vertion will ofcourse have industries. if any one else is local and has knolage of the line or the 2 mainline stations (Fareham and Alton) then please drop us a post. when I am happy that the basic route is ok and I have it packaged up (know where did I put that packing tape:D) I will post asking for beta testers all may apply and if you are local all the better.

ttfn

RDRBerry
April 14th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Some pics found to add to the interest...This area really has some fine Countryside [damned fine pubs too] shame it so so costly to live there these days....

Anyway the Viaduct would be a major task for TRS, I am sure there is quite a bit more in my stack of books somewhere.

The Treloar's siding lasted many years after the Basingstoke and Alton, I have to say my lad still enjoys the Oh Mr P
orter film where Cliddesden was fixed as an Irish backwater..

I am a loon for lost causes, My father apparently took me to Longmoor Open days before I could remember [shame that] and I am still working on Bordon and some bits of the Hollywater loop..
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330650005/0
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330659241/2
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330674082/4
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330649534/3
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330650005/0

Cheers

Ralph

kester
April 16th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Some pics found to add to the interest...This area really has some fine Countryside [damned fine pubs too] shame it so so costly to live there these days....

Anyway the Viaduct would be a major task for TRS, I am sure there is quite a bit more in my stack of books somewhere.

The Treloar's siding lasted many years after the Basingstoke and Alton, I have to say my lad still enjoys the Oh Mr P
orter film where Cliddesden was fixed as an Irish backwater..

I am a loon for lost causes, My father apparently took me to Longmoor Open days before I could remember [shame that] and I am still working on Bordon and some bits of the Hollywater loop..
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330659241/2
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330674082/4
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330649534/3

Cheers

Ralph
hi Ralph there seems to be a problem with the photos Yahoo says no:D.

Longmoor is another one of my old projects I have new maps (tom me printed in the 60's so I may have another go there is a book on the longmoor military railway I would suggest looking in the libary as it is worth a few bob hence the fact that the scanner came in a bit handy when I had it out last time.

ttfn

RDRBerry
April 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Sorry forgot to get the right setting.

I managed to get a reasonable copy of the LMR book by Ronald and Carter and have Branch Lines to Longmoor a really good one, Lines around Alton is good.

There are some collections out there that have some photos one sees from time to time but I have no ifea how to get to them.I also have a well kid viewed St Trinian's Video and the Ivo Peters video..

All I could see the other week was the cutting near Bordon and the track line used by the main road still used by tanks the rest its seems is due to go as the Army relocates up this way.

I can scan the pages you need, I do have some stuff up from a while back.

I had tried to nudge PAUL OF Pauls Trainz to do Brussels and have lots of good pics of her as she is only up at Howarth.There are however several Austerites out there and the SECR coaches if made into blue would be perfect.

Cheers

Ralph

Exiled Southerner

RDRBerry
April 16th, 2007, 11:59 AM
The LMR stuff

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/576460762382562604

Ralph

tkeithmat
April 17th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Kester
Are you using 2006?
I have nearly finished the first sections of my fictional layout based on the geography in Agatha Christies Marple novels. The real life setting is the Basingstoke - Winchester - Eastleigh - Southampton (SR) and the GWR line to Winchester Chesil line I have built in the branch line junctions at Eastleigh and north of Winchester. If you would like to have a look I could send you the CDP file with a view to integration of both projects.

BTW - If you are doing Droxford you have a good excuse for running the LMS Royal train on the line. However you will need three or four rather well known figures for the platform - namely Churchill, DeGaulle, Eisenhower, Montgomery who met there in '44.

Keith
tkeithmat

kester
April 17th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Kester
Are you using 2006?
I have nearly finished the first sections of my fictional layout based on the geography in Agatha Christies Marple novels. The real life setting is the Basingstoke - Winchester - Eastleigh - Southampton (SR) and the GWR line to Winchester Chesil line I have built in the branch line junctions at Eastleigh and north of Winchester. If you would like to have a look I could send you the CDP file with a view to integration of both projects.

BTW - If you are doing Droxford you have a good excuse for running the LMS Royal train on the line. However you will need three or four rather well known figures for the platform - namely Churchill, DeGaulle, Eisenhower, Montgomery who met there in '44.

Keith
tkeithmat
Hi Keith,

Yes I went over to 2006 as 2004 kept haveing hissy fits at the least provocation. Your project sounds interesting I was thinking in the long run of intergrating the alps (Aka the Water cress Line) and the basingstoke light railway or atleast making them as addons. if you can drop me an e-mail with cdp I would be very interested. On point on the Agatha Christie conection looking at one of Poirot films they used the watercress line but dressed it up as the GWR except to the real trian nut it was a bit esy to spot.:D

I was aware of the 44 conection as it is mentioned in 'the meon valley railway' by R.A.Stone. one of the problems I have is that to add a little interest I have used track layouts from the broad rang of the 50 years that the line was in existance.

ttfn

tkeithmat
April 17th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I too have used a combination of track plans and layouts - more with an eye to memory rate - a 1930's, 40's or 50's trackplan combined with 19th century town/village plans means less 'dressing'. Have you seen my 'sussex' range of buildings on the DLS and those recent editions by shoves very useful for the period setting.
Also if you are not too much of a stickler for the period/date accuracy there are a couple of additional loops and sidings that were added during the 39 - 45 period as temporary measures.

I seem to recall having seen trains crossing the viaduct at West Meon - I went to school at Westbury House (early 60's) - my parents ran The George Inn, in East Meon.
BTW can you send an e-mail as your contact address in profile is inactive.
Keith

ps Sorry can't have been the West Meon line it was closed by the time I was at Westbury

kester
April 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I seem to recall having seen trains crossing the viaduct at West Meon - I went to school at Westbury House (early 60's) - my parents ran The George Inn, in East Meon.
BTW can you send an e-mail as your contact address in profile is inactive.
Keith

I know the pub well Having sung there over much of my 27 years And I only live in horndean. know own/manage the bluebell wood in clanfield off north lane.

ttfn

RDRBerry
April 17th, 2007, 02:16 PM
is the Edward Griffiths book of 1970 any use?

Met him once when I was in Farnham MRS in the old Maltings when I was about 14, he was quite elderly then...He lived near where I was brought up..

Horndean, did some summer work there with a tree surgeon when Gales was still one of the best breweries around, what happened the Queens Head in Farnham is now a Fullers pub...

tkeithmat
April 17th, 2007, 04:09 PM
The original George Folk club was started by my Mum! With groups such as the Spinners and artists such as Jasper Carrot in early years. I think I know the wood - has it still got a badger sett?

kester
April 19th, 2007, 01:06 AM
The original George Folk club was started by my Mum! With groups such as the Spinners and artists such as Jasper Carrot in early years. I think I know the wood - has it still got a badger sett?

Use to sing there with morris sides such as VIctory morris, King johns and Knockhundred shuttle.

We have an out lying bager sett that is sometimes used if you want to know more about the wood have a look at the web site http://www.bluebellwood.wesnetservices.co.uk/

ttfn

kester
April 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Hi all I have sent out the first beta vertion I think this will be a long process but here is a description of progress so far.

stations: track layout complete with some buildings (still need some made)
goods yards: No goods industries so far just track marks for test perposes.
signaling: compleat for testing needs work
ground form: some done but it will be a long process if any one has any ideas other than the track method of contour creation them pleas post
texturing: track and yards done still working on other areas

the route is in 2006 and the cdp for e-mail is about 3mb

ttfn

kester
September 11th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Hi all I have sent out the first beta vertion I think this will be a long process but here is a description of progress so far.

stations: track layout complete with some buildings (still need some made)
goods yards: No goods industries so far just track marks for test perposes.
signaling: compleat for testing needs work
ground form: some done but it will be a long process if any one has any ideas other than the track method of contour creation them pleas post
texturing: track and yards done still working on other areas

the route is in 2006 and the cdp for e-mail is about 3mb

ttfn

As above with the following alterations
Total regig of fareham goods yard (thanks to the pictures of brance list to alton)
ground form I have decided to go for the slege hammer approach and use the general hight tool and then smooth it out at a later date.

I fully intend to send out beta 03 (02 is before my revam of fareham so nu) so if any of you gents are still interested I will mail you with and up date as soon as I have got the magority of the ground heights sorted.

ttfn

kester
December 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hi all after a long time away from train I hope to be back soon (TM) not only have I been moving in with my wife to be but I have been doing real life stuff and lots of web design work for various groups.

I hope to Reinstall may PC within the next week or so and then Look at the newer versions of Trainz tc3 or 2009 any comments most welcome.

I will then look at all my old roughs again with the hope that the new features will bring much more life like projects.

ttfn kester

kester
December 11th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Hi all after a long time away from train I hope to be back soon (TM) not only have I been moving in with my wife to be but I have been doing real life stuff and lots of web design work for various groups.

I hope to Reinstall may PC within the next week or so and then Look at the newer versions of Trainz tc3 or 2009 any comments most welcome.

I will then look at all my old roughs again with the hope that the new features will bring much more life like projects.

ttfn kester

Hi all I have rebuilt my PC and downloaded TC3 once I get it working and find all the missing bits (if i find all the missing bits) I will get back to it again.

ttfn kester

tkeithmat
December 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Hi Kester.

Welcome back!
Some of us oldies are still here. I am just getting my brain-box (both cells) around the new 2009 - seems to be heaps better than 06 with few of the niggles that marred that version.

Keith
tkeithmat

kester
December 15th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Keith, I have just treated myself to TC3 Still falls over but hay ho at the at price any how I am looking at 2009 but I think the verdict is still out at the moment.

will gat back into this route soon (TM) I hope but havint to relearn Trainz again

ttfn and Merry christmas

Kester

mvrnut
March 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hi everyone,
Not sure I should be ressurecting this thread as I am new to this forum.
I am currently in the process of constructing an 00 layout of which a good part will represent the Meon Valley Railway from Wickham station to Mislingford goods yard.
I was born and raised in Hampshire, and spent most of my childhood in the Wickham area. We lived in Shirrell Heath. As boys we often walked to the line, going through the copse and up on to the tracks at the bridge over the River Meon. We would then walk the line , either to Wickham, or to Mislingford goods yard. This was in the 1960's. Although the line was no longer used, we actually saw a diesel loco and one coach heading from Droxford towards Wickham. To this day I don't know why it was there, but it almost ended up in the siding at Mislingford due to some naughty boys who changed the points, but stayed around long enough to hear the train coming, and just managed to change them back again before the train got there. It was moving quite slowly.
Well my question is , does anybody know which locos, and what was the makeup of trains on the Meon Valley Railway in the 1930's ? As this is the era that I am modelling.
I know that M7's with Pull Push were used after the war.
Many thanks,
Chris

kester
March 11th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Hi Chris,
to answer your question the most common goods tender engine seams to have been the t9 although any engine could have run the line as it was built to mainline standard although only single track. if you want more information on the line the best bet it to get hold of a copy for some of the following:

The Meon Valley Railway by R.A.Stone

Branch lines to Alton by Middleton press

The Meon valley railway Revisited by Denis Tillman

In my opinion the first book is the bible of the line and the best loved in my collection I have been recreating the line in trainz for a number of years but am still trying to get it working in trz classics. if you are interested send me a private message with you E-mail and I will send a copy of the basic file over (note its a big file) :cool:

hope this helps kester

mvrnut
March 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Kester,
Thanks for the info. I already have the books you mentioned. They are excellent.

Any idea where I might find details about the buildings of the Meon Valley Timber Co., which were close to the goods yard at Mislingford? Do you know if logs was brought in by rail and finished timber sent out by rail at Mislingford during the 1030's ?

Do you know if there was any other industries in the area that would have used the goods yards at either Wickham or Mislingford ?

I will send you a PM with my email address, as I am intersted in what you have worked on.

Thank you,

Cheers,

Chris

kester
April 4th, 2009, 04:06 AM
For those that are still interested I is now running in tc i have given up with trz2009 as much of the content is older stuff, I will look at the signal work on the root an carry on with the topography work if any one is still intrested I will send out a new beta at some point.

ttfn kester:Y:

Euphod
April 4th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I understand the TC3 signal logic is superior to 2009 anyway, may be a good choice for you.:)

kester
April 4th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I understand the TC3 signal logic is superior to 2009 anyway, may be a good choice for you.:)

thanks for that;)

littlejack
April 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hi i am new to this forum. I was searching for photos of Knowle signal box as i was a signalman there in the 1960s just before they closed the box . i have photos of Fareham east inside and out where i also worked and Fareham west. I may be able to help with some information if i can remember ? regards John

kester
April 23rd, 2009, 03:36 AM
Hi i am new to this forum. I was searching for photos of Knowle signal box as i was a signalman there in the 1960s just before they closed the box . i have photos of Fareham east inside and out where i also worked and Fareham west. I may be able to help with some information if i can remember ? regards John

Hi john, welcome to the forum.

this has been a long running project which I hope one day to complete and put up on the Download station (DLS).

are you a trainz user? and if so which version do you have??

regards kester

tonywilliams
July 23rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Infiniti

I have just come across your message

I recently purchased old droxford station and hope to prepare a fully history of it. I would be delighted to hear from you or any others who have knowledge of the line and any photos etc. My e mail is tony.williams@olddroxfordstation.com

Thanks
Tony

kester
August 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hi Tony, I'm sorry I have not been in contact before but I have been away from trainz for some time due to getting married I would be very interested to see any work you have done.

the project is still on going but I am not able to move my PC at the moment so Have had to put the project on hold for the moment

ttfn kester

Gambo
September 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hi

I have just moved to the area and me and my friends found west meon tunnel ( the entrance with the blue door near the gated entrance) and have since found privett tunnel and privett station. I am interested in seeing ur finished article on trainz if any1 has a copy i can dwnload it and play it :) . I have just started using trainz 2009 and like it :)

Thanks Henry

kester
November 19th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Hi

I have just moved to the area and me and my friends found west meon tunnel ( the entrance with the blue door near the gated entrance) and have since found privett tunnel and privett station. I am interested in seeing ur finished article on trainz if any1 has a copy i can dwnload it and play it :) . I have just started using trainz 2009 and like it :)

Thanks Henry
hi Henry if you send me a Personal message with you email address I will send you a beta copy of the project. cand garantee it will work in trz2009 as it was built in trz2006 so some of the content may be missing.

regards kester

jozg44
December 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Hello,

I've just come across this project. I was a user of Trainz back in the days of the original version, but more recently I have just completed a university dissertation on the Meon Valley Railway. My project mainly focused on West Meon Station (or what's left of it) but in the course of my research I surveyed and photographed the entire length of the MVR, ending up with about 1,300 photographs and the 1893, 1906 and 1924 OS 1:2500 maps covering the early days of the line.

If your project is still on-going I'd be really grateful if you could send me a copy as I'd love to be able to explore a virtual MVR. Equally if you have any need for any of the old maps or photographs I'd happily pass them on.

Jack (another 'Meon Valley nut')

Simondo
December 29th, 2009, 05:03 AM

Hi John, I am new to this site and although i don't use Trainz, i am a rail fan, a Fareham railway history fan and i love the Meon valley railway history. I was wondering John, do you any pics of the Funtley tunnel deviation line? I am desparately searching for pics of Highlands road bridge circa early 70's just before line closure, the cutting upto the footbridge which was where the m27 now crosses the cutting and anything out to Knowle Junction - to be honest, anything really. Would be really great to get in touch. I can send my home email address if it doesn't show up here.
I love the idea that the Meon Valley railway has been put onto pc and it really tempts me to get into it :D.
If anyone else can help with my pics request, please don't hesitate.
Also, does anyone have pics of Hedge Corner, A32 other than what appeared in David fereday Glenn's book. This seems to be one part of the MVR that wasn't documented.
Thanks all,
Simon

Simondo
December 29th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Hi everyone,
Not sure I should be ressurecting this thread as I am new to this forum.
I am currently in the process of constructing an 00 layout of which a good part will represent the Meon Valley Railway from Wickham station to Mislingford goods yard.
I was born and raised in Hampshire, and spent most of my childhood in the Wickham area. We lived in Shirrell Heath. As boys we often walked to the line, going through the copse and up on to the tracks at the bridge over the River Meon. We would then walk the line , either to Wickham, or to Mislingford goods yard. This was in the 1960's. Although the line was no longer used, we actually saw a diesel loco and one coach heading from Droxford towards Wickham. To this day I don't know why it was there, but it almost ended up in the siding at Mislingford due to some naughty boys who changed the points, but stayed around long enough to hear the train coming, and just managed to change them back again before the train got there. It was moving quite slowly.
Well my question is , does anybody know which locos, and what was the makeup of trains on the Meon Valley Railway in the 1930's ? As this is the era that I am modelling.
I know that M7's with Pull Push were used after the war.
Many thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,
In one of David Fereday Glenn's books ( i have it but can't remember the name but i can find out if you need it), there is a pic of a green pre TOPS class 33 at Farringdon. I can't remember if this was after some of the line was lifted that far up so this train never made it down to Droxford OR whether this is what you saw ( or a similar working). I seem to think the track at the northern Butts junction end of the MVR was lifted fairly quickly after closure so maybe the diesel travelling up from the Knowle junction end ????? Would be interested to find out.
cheers,
Simon

ps, dear moderator, I sometimes get a bit over enthusiatic regarding MVR history esp when peole have knowledge/pics that aren't the usual ones found in the books. I do respect the fact that this is primarily a Trainz forum :D

Simondo
December 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
for interest, there is a 54 second newsreel on Youtube regarding the Sadler Pacerailer experimental railcar which used the Meon Valley line after closure. It briefly shows Droxford station and the cutting between Droxford and Wickham.

here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J25JhDZK7fw

enjoy

hallpeter
June 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Hi Everyone:

I just found this site as I was searching for pictures of the signal boxes in Fareham. As a boy growing up there in the 1960s and later working on the railway I spent many hours in both Fareham East and West. I was wondering if anyone might have pictures of these boxes?

kester
October 27th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Hi every one I am back working on this project again know trainz classics has dained to work again if anyone is still watching this thread please get in contact

THOMAS2000
February 1st, 2017, 05:17 PM
Hi, I know its been two years since the last post, but i am very curious as how the project is going. I am very interested in creating anything within the confines of the 3rd Rail and more (Ramsgate to Padstow, anywhere between them) I am currently building the South East Network. :)

rogerayresaol
August 15th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Hello does anyone know if the mvr project is still ongoing and if anyone has the route pleas thank you.

Vern
August 16th, 2018, 04:31 AM
As the last post from the builder of this 23 mile (approx) route was nearly 3 years ago, think it's safe to assume the project is another fallen flag.

And in any event at this point anything built in Trainz Classics is going to be rather dated, especially going forward into TRS2019.

I await to be proved wrong though!