PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased TS2010 - Got Questions/concerns...

JGphins
November 9th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hello everyone,

I just purchased the USA (box) version of Trainz Simulator Engineers Edition Deluxe. Very excited about the purchase but also I bit concerned for a few reasons, as follows:

1 - First PC game ever. Not sure how long the learning curve will take or how difficult the game may be.

2 - Not sure if the game requires a lot of down load purchases in order to enjoy / play the game. Does it come with content ready to create a scene; track, locos, freight cars, buildings, trees or are you required to invest more money for each item?

3 - Any PRR loco/freight cars included in game or for purchase?

Thanks to all for feedback, hope to share lots of years of enjoyment with all members starting next week upon receipt of game.

rweber95
November 10th, 2010, 12:52 AM
1. Click the TS2010 desktop icon and select Start. The click Tutorials and drive the four tutorials to learn the operation in DCC mode (simulates model railroad controller) and then CAB mode which simulates the real inside the cabin control handles.

2. The only time you'll want to buy any addon stuff is when you just have to have a custom made loco or route, but that won't be for quite a while.

3. The is some PRR stuff builtin and alot more is available for FREE on the DLS (Download Station) maintained by Auran.

Before you try Surveyor (thats where you build route layouts and place trains) and Driver (where you drive the trains you've place on the selected routes), start Trainz, select Routes, click the Main Menu box in upper left corner and select Options. Click on the Surveyor Settings section, scroll down to see the Only display favorites content box and uncheck it. This will allow you to see all content that you have installed.

Bob

RRSignal
November 10th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Adding on to Bob's advice, there is very little learning curve to either play and Surveyor isn't too hard; what separates Trainz from other rail simulators is that it is relatively easy to create routes. You don't have to buy any content to develop your own routes - it's generally easier if you don't. And, as for PRR, check out Obo's Trainz catalog and Trainz Pro Routes, to name a few. Avoid the MSTS and Railwork's stuff on Obo's as it's not compatible with Trainz. Remember that there are many other Trainz-related websites with content besides the DLS.

http://trainz.banal.net/catalog/catalog.html
http://www.trainzproroutes.org/

JGphins
November 10th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the inputs gentlemen. Now I can relax a liitle knowing that I'll be able to enjoy the game with its included content before further investing on DLC. Also good to know that the learning curve for basic operations are not too difficult. The link provided also revealed a really nice looking PRR loco; If I had the game CD with with I would DL it tonight! I guess this software hobby can get as expensive as the real model train hobby with tons of DLC available...

Research help:

I ran across a video on Youtube which showed an example of someone creating a wonderful layout scene utilizing the Trainz Simulator 2010 software in about 1 hour; (the video was played on super fast speed with a count down timer set at 60 minutes). The video lasted about 5 minutes but I was sold on the software capabilities & decided on the spot to purchase that night.

Only problem is I never saved the video as my favorite & know I can't seem to find it again. Does anyone here know which video I'm talking about? If so can you provide me with the link to it or another video showing demonstrations?

Thanks again to all & happy Veterans day weekend!

thebadtouch
November 11th, 2010, 03:29 AM
JG,
I'm pretty sure this is the video you're talking about. I ran across it too looking for tutorials and such. They're kinda hard to find, but I did find a few to get me started. I am a Trainz newbie also, but seems like a lot of fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGDBhEHqqqM

stagecoach
November 11th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Search youtube trainz and you will find a lot of videos.

itareus
November 11th, 2010, 04:27 AM
.....I guess this software hobby can get as expensive as the real model train hobby with tons of DLC available.....

The vast majority of content for Trainz is free, having been made by members of the community for the community. There is some payware content as well.

belgian46
November 11th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Hello JGphins,

Allow me to add some other information - Being a nearly Newbie Trainzguy myself ( started last year with Trainz 2009 ).

As it is your first Train PC game ever - I would advise you the following. ( I used the same method )

Before starting the game

1) Read the user manual - That gives you a good start for playing the game.
2) Start with the tutorial-routes within the game ( I suppose the routes are still there in the 2010 version. ( I have only Trainz 2009 ).
3) After the tutorials, play all the other routes - play them a couple of times. Have a look, what kind of material ( elements, objects ) are used in the specific routes.
4) In my case - after nearly 1 year I started thinking about making a route myself.

Playing the game and creating a route - for me - is a big difference.
I had a look at the video-link given by thebadtouch ( Thank you for your input ).
I can assure you, I will probably be able to do a route creation ( like within the video ) in a couple of years from now.

Why ? It's all about the creativity touch - and having the capability of fast learning. I just do not have those two elements within me.

Also, there wasn't enough information in the 2009 manual ( only 34 pages - with very few info about route building ).

So you have to find some tutorials.

In my case - I found the TRS2006 manual more helpfull that the 2009 manual.

And it's all about trying and retrying and starting all over again and having patience. Don't be encouraged if you don't succeed the first time.

The tutorials from Chuck Brite ( based on TRS2004 and 06 - but the principle remains the same ) are also good instruction material about elements within route building ( here's the link http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html )

And of course - This forum - When you have a problem - just ask - and people from all over the world are giving some elements to help you with your issue. Don't forget the Auran helpdesk - I also got great support from them.

Hopefully - my input will be helpfull for you.

Best regards :wave: