PDA

View Full Version : Surveyor Problem

Kutte
October 19th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I've recently purchased a new desktop CP (Window 7) with a faster processor (2.8 GHZ) since my old one acted kind of sluggish while featuring only a 1.8 GHZ processor.
After transferring my Trainz 2009 edition to my new CP I found that the surveyor is not able to commit added features to the Trainz Asset Database, advising me that this task can be completed in CMP.

Well, I've tried to do just that again and again to no avail. Does anyone know the correct way to do that? Thanks a million. Kutte :(

WillPac
October 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Tried again and again, huh? Did your local folder (where all downloaded content is kept) make it from your old to your new PC? When you say you tried, what did you do? In CMP, you need to choose Import Content, then point it to your local folder.

I don't know how much d/l content you have, but a lot COULD bog the system. I have no experience with 2009's CMP, but the one in 2006 is seriously buggy and underpowered, easily the worst part of what could be a great program. When I ran into a series of endless fatal errors in Surveyor, I finally had to take the steps of backing up my local folder, uninstalling and reinstalling Trainz, then I tried to import my local content. CMP kept freezing just a few minutes into porting about 14GB of assets. It took a couple of DAYS before CMP would even show me anything under its various tabs.

Once it finally did, I saw that it had had SOME success with getting my local folder into the game. However, I then spent the better part of a week dealing with missing dependencies, many of which I KNOW I already had before this disaster.

So be forewarned: the import process, even if YOU do it correctly, may not go smoothly.

Tony_Howard
October 19th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Kutte,
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "commit added features", but if you mean you have made changes in surveyor and are trying to save/update then I had the same problem when I switched to Windows 7. The eventual solution I found was that my McAfee spyware was the culprit. After disabling it while running Trainz I have had no more problems.

HiBaller
October 19th, 2010, 04:27 PM
It is also possible that CMP was installed with Administrative privileges, but Trainz was not. Try right-clicking the Trainz icon and choosing "Run as Administrator".

Bill

stagecoach
October 19th, 2010, 05:00 PM
This may be a recent issue with windows because ive started to get this also. In most cases if you do a data repair it will reappear, ive also resorted to delete the assets.tdx to get the saved session back. Dont know what the cause is but it relates to the trainz data base not updating itself when saved.

Kutte
October 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for your input trainz buffs. When saying "comitting new features" while in the surveyor mode, then this means adding new items to a certain trainz program or making changes therein.

After closing the program then the message appears as indicated in my opening statement.

I'll check out the recommendations you guys gave me. Thanks again. Kutte

Kutte
October 20th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Friends, I am happy to announce that Bill's recommendation worked fine to solve my surveyor problem by right clicking the Trainz logo and choosing the option "Run as Administrator".

Thanks a million Bill. Much obliged. :)
Kutte

HiBaller
October 20th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Excellent, Kutte. Very glad to hear it got straightened out.

You can make the choice permanent (in Vista and Win7) by right-clicking the icon, choosing Properties, and then "Advanced. There is a check box marked "Run as Administrator".

Bill

lightrail
October 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Friends, I am happy to announce that Bill's recommendation worked fine to solve my surveyor problem by right clicking the Trainz logo and choosing the option "Run as Administrator".

Thanks a million Bill. Much obliged. :)
Kutte

to be safe, go to the trainz folder and right click launcher.exe and then check "run as administrator"

A good check - you should always get the Windows 7 prompt request to run this program as administrator when you start. If you don't, it's not running as administrator.

Windows 7 programs have trouble writing to the hard drive if they're not running as administrator

HiBaller
October 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
If you are running with UAC (User Account Control) disabled you will NOT get a "ok to run this program" prompt.

I have a large number of programs that can write to my hard drive and they are definitely not running as Administrator.

Trainz has the problem writing to the REGISTRY, not the hard drive per se. If the Registry tells Trainz that a folder is locked for writing because it isn't an "administrator", then that what the "Run as Administrator" is for.

Bill