PDA

View Full Version : Speed signs

jordon412
October 16th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I am having problems trying to tell which speed sign (located on the trackside objects in the tab that you click on to draw track (the signs that are white with a rectangular piece that shows the speed (they are located with the signs that have the brown posts and yellow rectangular piece that shows the speed in miles per hour))) is in miles per hour or kilometers per hour. Can anyone help me?

JCitron
October 16th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I am having problems trying to tell which speed sign (located on the trackside objects in the tab that you click on to draw track (the signs that are white with a rectangular piece that shows the speed (they are located with the signs that have the brown posts and yellow rectangular piece that shows the speed in miles per hour))) is in miles per hour or kilometers per hour. Can anyone help me?

The white signs are MPH. The ones with the brown posts are Kph.

I've never used the yellow ones, so I couldn't tell you.

John

gary6204
October 16th, 2010, 05:22 PM
are you reffering to the yellow signs with marias pass? if so... yes they are in miles per hour if not post there kuid # here and ill have a look

olpe
October 18th, 2010, 10:15 AM
You could always place out the sign in question on some piece of track and run a train past it in test drive (F2), and see what shows as speed limit in the HUD :) .

Blackie11
October 18th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I thought if you had selected Metric for your route they were in KMs, if Imperial selected they were in mph:confused:

PerRock
October 18th, 2010, 06:15 PM
they will still tell you that way; if you go past a 10 sign and your speed limit is 10 mph, and your route is set to be imperial; then it's MPH; it its something like 13.4 mph, then the sign is metric.

peter

Blackie11
October 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Peter that is what I am saying, setting metric gives KM, setting imperial sets mph, it does not matter what color the sign is, what counts is what you have in the settings. IE if you have 25 in yellow, red or white, and you have mph set, then you get mph..... I think :eek:

dave

PerRock
October 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM
but different speed signs are coded for different speed types; so metric speed signs in imperial will show off speed limits (like 12.3 mph).

peter

jordon412
October 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Well when I used the white speed signs with the white posts in quick drive, the first time I used them, the speed limit showed '10 mph' or the '10 mph' sign. A few days later, when I did quick drive a second time, I gave the locomotive the command 'drive,' and when it went past the same sign, it showed that the speed limit was '6 mph,' when the sign showed '10.' And I set the measurements under 'General Settings' to imperial, yet it seemed like the AI Driver interpreted the sign as '10 kph,' not '10 mph.' Hasn't work correctly since then.

gfisher
October 24th, 2010, 03:41 PM
All speed signs in Trainz are set in meters/second corresponding to the desired limit. Changing the region doesn't change anything.

Dinorius_Redundicus
October 24th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Is there a way to tell what speed and what units are being used by looking at the config.txt of the sign? Sometimes the author has it in the 'username' title, but sometimes not. I mean, is there another part of the config that states clearly what units apply?

gfisher
October 24th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Look for the line
speedlimit 5.56
or whatever meters per second the number is. To convert miles per hour to meters per second multiply by a conversion factor of 0.447.
E.g. 10mph is 4.47 m/s

To convert kilometers per hour to meters per second multiply by a conversion factor of 0.278.
E.g. 10kph is 2.78 m/s

Quoted right from the CCG.