PDA

View Full Version : Terrain for North East Line, Tasmania.

rastis
September 13th, 2010, 05:48 PM
G'day. :wave:

I posted a thread about this a couple of months ago. :hehe: And still no responses... :(
I would like to build the North-East Line in Tasmania. And I was wondering if anyone has the TranzDEM for Trainz? Would anyone be able to get the terrain for it please. I will be really greatful if someone could. The coordinates for the junction in Google Earth are 40 20'29.90" South and 147 06'48.54" East.

Cheers! :)

Jake.

pware
September 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I posted a thread about this a couple of months ago. :hehe: And still no responses... :(

Unfortunately I think that says it all. As beautiful and picturesque the lines in Tasmania are, most people do not know where it is or would have TransDEM data for it.

I am also working on a line in Eastern Tasmania (the Fingal Line) and I am doing it the old fashion way using the landscaping tools in surveyor - it has taken me 8 mnths so far and I am still far from finished.

Peter Ware

rastis
September 14th, 2010, 01:52 AM
G'day. :wave:

Oh well. I guess it will be importing data from Google Earth or doing the same as you. (Except I dunno how to import data from Google Earth!:hehe: )

Jake.

pware
September 14th, 2010, 02:55 AM
You can't import data from Google Earth (at least as far as I know). My tried and tested method:
use the ruler tool in Google Earth to get the altitude at every 100m along a straight line drawn due N-S or E-W from set points on the track.
then use that data to manually set the spline height at the same point on track that I have stretched out across the landscape on the same line as drawn in Google Earth
when complete, use the spline smoothing tool to smooth the land form
repeat every 100m, 200m or 300m along the track depending on the terrain - this creates a series of vertical ridges across the landscape
use track as a land forming tool to create the land forms between the ridges - this works great on flat terrain but can be tricky in hilly areasI must be mad!!!!!

This is why it has taken me 8 months to get a bit over half the landscape on a 79km line done

Sek_Hakuna
September 14th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Could precise information be provided? The coordinates posted places me in the ocean.

thanks,
Randy

rastis
September 14th, 2010, 04:57 PM
G'day! :wave:

Okay. Type Turners Marsh, TAS in the Google Earth search box and follow the railway line South-West until you come to a Junction.

Jake.

Sek_Hakuna
September 14th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Okay then..........I believe I've located the RR track. It meanders to the SW to an open pit mine near Mowbray Heights and then to a large yard. Of course it continues on from there.

Do I have the correct location?

Boobless_ed
September 14th, 2010, 09:31 PM
If he's still doing DEMs for people, ask Jerker kindly here, or on the VicTrainz forums.

I'd get the DEM data before putting Google Earth imagery in...

rastis
September 15th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Okay then..........I believe I've located the RR track. It meanders to the SW to an open pit mine near Mowbray Heights and then to a large yard. Of course it continues on from there.

Do I have the correct location?

G'day! :wave:

Mowbray is near the junction. Follow the line near Mowbray Heights 'North' and you'll come to a line branching off to the right. Follow that one all the way to Herrick. Thats the North-East Line.

Jake.