PDA

View Full Version : Spare a thought for our New Zealand friends

gremlin1812
September 3rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
A state of emergency has been declared in Christchurch, New Zealand, after a large 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocked the country's second largest city this morning.
The quake was felt throughout much of the South Island and southern parts of the North Island, and has caused widespread damage, including the collapse of some buildings.
It has also knocked out power and disrupted water and sewerage services.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.
Regards
Barrie

RRSignal
September 3rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with NZ. I just hope nobody was seriously hurt.

UP5521
September 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
my thoughts exactly,there is nothing more devastating than a earthquake,good luck on the recovery process!:(

Fender849
September 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
Gentlemen, I thank you for your good wishes. I live just on the outside of Christchurch city and , although the quake was the worst shake I have ever experienced, the damage is minimal. Most damage was suffered in the CBD to older buildings and some road damage all around Christchurch. I believe more severe damage was sustained in towards Darfield where the epi-center was, but still awaiting reports on that. I feel thankful as things could have been far worse.
Cheers , Fender :)

nzms
September 4th, 2010, 12:30 AM
As a fellow New Zealand Trainzer I would like to give my prayers to both Fender and those living in and around Christchurch. My thoughts are with you.

nzms

Lots_Trains
September 4th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Segy and Midland are both from Christchurch hope they poke there nose and say they ok.

Looks a real mess down there

Cheers

Lots

b9k9kiwi
September 4th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I live on the West Coast of the South Island, the other side of the mountains from Christchurch and the Canterbury Plain - but it still dumped me out of bed and was one hell of a 'ride'.

Some interesting photos of the midland mainline with a 4 metre vertical shift pushing the tracks out of alignment.

The quake occured on a 'hidden' fault line that nobody knew was there. Lots of aftershocks. It will take some time to settle.

segy
September 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hi Segy here.

I actually live near Hamilton in the north island, a long way from the disaster. We have experienced nothing other than shock and sorrow at hearing the news. Today it looks as though the weather is also going to be very bad for those people too. We can do little to help but it does remind us that New Zealand is a rather unstable place in geological terms and we should all be prepared as almost all the country is vulnerable to earthquake, volcano or tsunami.
I have made it a personal rule each day to spend a little time contemplating all the 'blessings' we enjoy living in this idyllic land.

My best wishes to those affected by this event

Segy

gremlin1812
September 7th, 2010, 06:20 PM
G'Day All, Well our already shaken friends in New Zealand have had yet another shake-up.

The aftershock, just six kilometres underground, registered 5.1 on the Richter scale and knocked out power to much of the city.
Large aftershocks have been rocking the Canterbury region since Saturday's devastating 7.1-magnitude earthquake caused widespread damage.
Central Christchurch hotels asked guests to leave and power was cut for a short time after this morning's aftershock.
One resident described the main aftershock as very sharp and sudden and said it had "jolted the living daylights" out of her.
Once again our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.
Regards
Barrie

gparker
September 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I put this response on the "Community" page yesterday, so copy it here for the interest of those wished us well on this page"

"Hi everyone: I live in Christchurch. 4.35am on Saturday morning is, I hope, a once-in-a-lifetime experience! As you will see from TV and the press, most of the damage occurred among the older buildings in the city centre, and in the suburbs on the east side towards the sea, where liquifaction took place in the sandy soil. Many house chimneys toppled, some came through the roof others fell away from the house. There were many close-calls.
It is a miracle that there were no fatalities; one person has been badly injured by a falling chimney and another by falling glass.
The aftershocks continue, although today (Tuesday) they do seem to be getting less frequent.
There is a huge job ahead to get things back to some normality, and an estimate of cost has been put at NZ$2b.
We fortunately live on the northwest side of the city, and apart from a very rude and scary awakening, and a few things on the floor, we have no problems. The house creaked and shook for ever (actually only between 30-60seconds, but it seemed for ever).
Graham Parker (KUID 336550)"

As has been said, aftershocks continue, and just when we thought they was dying down, we got the 5.1 this morning!