PDA

View Full Version : Beware Extended Database Repair

pauldm
August 30th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I've been a Trainz user for about 4-5 months (running TS2010 SP2) and, for the first time this past weekend I was forced to do an Extended Database Repair - and I've been left with a mess!

For some reason the CPM wasn't able to commit any new assets on Saturday morning - something to do with file access, which I've since learned could be a bug which has been fixed in SP3. I checked through the forums and the suggestion seemed to be that an EDR should fix things up. It shouldn't hurt anyway.

However, afer running the EDR, I am now left with routes missing loads of assets, including some built in ones, routes that is. A lot of these routes no longer have the rails in the native mode although they do seem to be there in compatibility mode. I had bought and incorporated the Murchison route into my TS2010. It has now disappeared! What on earth has happened?

In short, the whole thing seems a total mess. Unless anyone out there has any brainwaves on how I can fix this, I think I'm going to have to uninstall and start all over again - very frustrating!! I had downloaded about 30 or 40 extra routes and associated assets. It's a lot of work to have to repeat. At least it will give me an opportunity to run an SP3 update on a bare installation - or should I?

Regards, Paul

BLACKWATCH
August 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I don't have your version, but on these threads I recall someone else with a problem like this.
The answer they were told, was to untick the 'Favourites' box, and all content will show.
This may not be the solution to your problem, but it won't hurt anything to try it.
Unless of course, someone else posts a better idea before you read this.

pauldm
August 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks Blackwatch, but I don't think that's the problem. I'm talking about routes and sessions which are not listed as having missing dependencies in CPM v3.2 but yet when you run them, many assets are obviously not being picked up. I'm talking about built-in and downloaded routes that when I try to run them in native mode, they have the rails and other scenery assets missing. I don't think that has anything to do with 'favourites'.

None of it makes sense. If the database had been corrupted, I understood that an EDR should fix that. Instead, it appears to have made things worse.

Paul

clam1952
August 30th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks Blackwatch, but I don't think that's the problem. I'm talking about routes and sessions which are not listed as having missing dependencies in CPM v3.2 but yet when you run them, many assets are obviously not being picked up. I'm talking about built-in and downloaded routes that when I try to run them in native mode, they have the rails and other scenery assets missing. I don't think that has anything to do with 'favourites'.

None of it makes sense. If the database had been corrupted, I understood that an EDR should fix that. Instead, it appears to have made things worse.

Paul

Probably need to run the EDR a couple of times.
After running it, close CM and wait until Tadaemon has disapeared before either restarting Trainz or turning off the PC, check in task manager under processes , that sorted it out with SP2 here, had the same problem.

If you give Tadaemon time to finish whatever it does before shutting the PC down you should get fewer if any problems.

pauldm
August 31st, 2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Malc.

I did another EDR and this time, after closing the CPM, I left the PC running for a couple of hours just to be sure that Tadaemon had plenty of time to do it's stuff.

Unfortunately, when I later started looking at all of my routes, nothing had changed so I've deleted everything, reinstalled TS2010 and am now updating to SP3 before I add anything else. If I'm happy with that, I'll start the long process of reinstalling all my favourite downloaded routes and sessions. Fortunately, I've maintained a folder of many of the cdp files so that will help.

Paul