PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 and trainz headache

peterjakiro
August 10th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I have beeen looking forward to experiencing trainz 2010 after enjoying trainz 2006 for a few years on my old XP laptop. So now with my new computer running windows 7 I expected great things. Major dissapointment:'(

It doesnot run on my computer. I read somewherethat there is an issue with ATI Radeon cards and thats what I have got.

When I open in driver or surveyor there is no texture on the ground, no buildings or tracks or trains. Only a few of the assests or textures can be obtained. Basically it does not run.

PLEASE, anyone can you help me sort this out without me having to take a degree in computer technology ?:'(

RRSignal
August 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Run two or three Extended Database Repairs. It's under the File menu in CMP. Since you apparently have a fresh installation, I suggest patching now too. It's a good idea to run an EDR after installing SP3.

the_soil_man
August 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I am running Trainz TS2009 (SP3) on a Windows 7-operated laptop with a ATI Radeon card (updated with the latest driver) with no trouble. I did find, however, that it is important to run TS2009 in DirectX-mode (OpenGL-mode does not work well). Hope this helps!

Fred

robin-nisbet
August 10th, 2010, 10:50 AM
are you running the program as compatibility mode "windows Vista sp2 or 3" and admin ... that will help a lot with trs 2009 and 2010

just right mouse click on the desktop icon and select properties there will be another set of tabs ... one with compatabiltiy ... select and go to advanced thare you can set the mode you want to run under i.e; win vista , win xp , 2000 ect ... once mode is chosen select apply and ok ... ok again ... back to desktop and then try running game ... hope this works for you ... Robin

btw: how did you get you 2010?

i got mine through digital download and the thing wont accept the first setup piece "setup -1a"

ct_krogen
August 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I have beeen looking forward to experiencing trainz 2010 after enjoying trainz 2006 for a few years on my old XP laptop. So now with my new computer running windows 7 I expected great things. Major dissapointment:'(

It doesnot run on my computer. I read somewherethat there is an issue with ATI Radeon cards and thats what I have got.

When I open in driver or surveyor there is no texture on the ground, no buildings or tracks or trains. Only a few of the assests or textures can be obtained. Basically it does not run.

PLEASE, anyone can you help me sort this out without me having to take a degree in computer technology ?:'(

mmmi am running trainz 10 & 06 on window seven,, make sure you give trainz
admins rights

Pencil42
August 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
06 required admin rights; 09 and 10 do not (at least on my computers). I have to enter an admin password when I install or patch, but it otherwise runs quite nicely under the local user account.

Curtis

shaneturner12
August 11th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm surprised there - most games require admin rights when running on Win Vista/7 (including Trainz)

Normally, the effects of not running it in admin mode are disappearing items, routes not saving, downloaded items not appearing in Trainz and error messages when loading Content Manager.

Shane

Approach_Medium
August 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Have you installed SP3 yet? If not, I highly recommend that you do. But of course backup the entire TS2010 folder first!!!

On my Windows 7 system, TS2010 requires admin rights in order for the DLS to open CM3 directly. Otherwise, Admin rights are not required.

As for the ATI issue, I thought that was fixed. Maybe wrong on that. I have read/heard that TS had an issue with ATI a while back (when TS2010 was first released).

Make sure you have updated all of your ATI drivers. Try running the DirectX diagnostic tool to check that it is installed properly.

You might also want to check the settings in your ATI configuration. Make sure you have the game set up correctly. I don't know whether ATI library includes TS2010, but if it does, use the settings it provides. Otherwise, use the automatic, or "application controlled" settings.

I don't think everyone who owns an ATI card is having trouble with TS2010. It seems to be very specific to some hardware combinations.

Playing games has always been a challenge on Windows. I never had such problems with DOS games :hehe:

FW

steve123
August 11th, 2010, 08:14 PM
make sure i your ati catalyst control 3D section ,the first setting in the list is
smothvision HD make sure your setting is {edge-detect} ,,,use no other or it slows things down massively,,disable AI The rest of the settings are up to you, trial and error,dowload the latest drivers
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit
i was reading on the ati site that even ati was telling people not to use any
other setting that edge-detect
steve

Ernest2d6
August 11th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Down load Direct 9c. That fixed everything for me with Win7 64 bit, also disable your AI on your ATI card. :)